topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:49 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: The nightmare of the programmer languages  (Read 32225 times)

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The nightmare of the programmer languages
« on: January 20, 2014, 02:45 PM »
 :-*

what about the perfect code converter ?

Something near of this target ?

A program able to convert code from AutoIt to autohotkey
or from Python to c++ ?

i suppose is not possible in plenitude, but perhaps aproximately is possible .

Do you know something for this ?

Best regards

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: The nightmare of the programmer languages
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 02:49 PM »
I would never trust a "code converter" from one language to another. While, in theory, it may be possible, the sheer number of possibilities that exist when using a certain function would deter me from using a converter.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 03:33 PM »
I would like to convert Borland dBASE for DOS version 5.0 to AutoHotkey_L or viceversa
I would like to convert AutoIt to AutoHotkey_L or viceversa

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 03:34 PM »
I would never trust a "code converter" from one language to another. While, in theory, it may be possible, the sheer number of possibilities that exist when using a certain function would deter me from using a converter.
:-[

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 03:39 PM »
https://varycode.com/

A first approach.
 :P

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 03:50 PM »
I've no experience with code, but do have a bit of experience with trying to export/convert files from one format to another. You often end up with so much work that you wonder if it would have been better to recreate the file from scratch.

Surely with code, you will need to be able to code anyway, in order to correct all the minor things that dont convert well (?)
Tom

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 04:12 PM »
With DBase it wouldn't make much sense since it's dependent on the underlying database engine which ships with the language.

Best bet is just to replicate the tables, reports and queries in something universal like SQL and recode when it comes to database apps. After that you can export the data to the new database, test, and call it a day.

Bit of a hassle. But you'd only need to do it once.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 04:39 PM »
I would like to convert Borland dBASE for DOS version 5.0 to AutoHotkey_L or viceversa
Why?
There is a compiler for Clipper/dBase code for modern OS's, called Harbour project, at http://harbour-project.org, and a commercial fork called xHarbour builder at http://xharbour.com, based on the oss xHarbour compiler at http://xharbour.org

Why?
AFAIK, AutoIt was created from the AHK codebase, because some people found the AHK 'language' was too unreadable in their opinion...

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 04:43 PM »
^ +1 for both josh' and 40hz' posts  :Thmbsup:

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 04:45 PM »
I am searching the web.
Don't locate a useful tool for converting AutoIt-AutohotkeyL

http://www.autoitscr...an-covert-autohotkey
http://www.autohotke...to-autohotkey-l-v11/

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014, 04:46 PM »
I've no experience with code, but do have a bit of experience with trying to export/convert files from one format to another. You often end up with so much work that you wonder if it would have been better to recreate the file from scratch.

Surely with code, you will need to be able to code anyway, in order to correct all the minor things that dont convert well (?)
:(

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2014, 04:48 PM »
Why?
There is a compiler for Clipper/dBase code for modern OS's, called Harbour project, at http://harbour-project.org, and a commercial fork called xHarbour builder at http://xharbour.com, based on the oss xHarbour compiler at http://xharbour.org

Why?
AFAIK, AutoIt was created from the AHK codebase, because some people found the AHK 'language' was too unreadable in their opinion...

Running to see the Harbour

I know my borland dBASE was after Visual dBASE 7.0. I have the disks yet, but I didn't programmed with that version.

And now exists.

I think there were two branchs.
The New dBASE
and embarcadero

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 04:50 PM »
^ +1 for both josh' and 40hz' posts  :Thmbsup:

>:(

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2014, 05:08 PM »
I never uses Clipper. It's xHarbour for me ?
Nevertheless my first account software was compiled with clipper. I bought to my hardware vendor so many years ago.
I conserv the program : SISCON . After was Contaplus.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 05:33 PM by Contro, Reason: Siscon was the name »

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2014, 05:17 PM »
xHarbour seems other scriptable language more......... compatible with older ones like my dBASE for DOS
From those times i have changed my profession and bought Goldmine in DBF version.
Anything that return me to my old worlds is welcome.
I tried some years ago everything to have my ancient apps running on xp with no success. But i can try on '98 SE under virtual machines.
 :-* :P

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2014, 01:11 AM »
Hi Contro,

What is your actual requirement ?

You see my programer professional life started with dBASE II. It continued to dBASE III, IV, FoxBase, FoxPro, Clipper till DOS and now Xbase++ and FoxPro 9 in WIN environments.

All the above use DBF files as database and NTX or CDX etc. for indexing. And I was able to re-use my codes from one to another language with minor modifications and add new features as per the new language.

I use AutoIt and AutoHotkey to develop small tools to help me in my development profession, for example, "Merge CSV and Text" creates the complete new project prgs from base template for me.

To convert a dBASE code to AutoIt, say, is trival if the code inputs something and processes and prints. Reading text file is also not a problem. The real problem will start if your code uses DBF and NTX files heavily and searching, sorting etc. All these which can be easily done in dBASE (it is made for it) are a 'nightmare' to do in AutoIt.

With my experience in these languages, I can assure you no converter can do justice in converting code to different 'tangent' language, like dBASE to AutoIt.

We went for xBASE++ (it is a commercial product) as it supported most of our Clipper codes, and were able to come out with a Windows version of our DOS product quickly.

Regards,

Anand

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2014, 06:38 AM »
Hi Contro,

What is your actual requirement ?

You see my programer professional life started with dBASE II. It continued to dBASE III, IV, FoxBase, FoxPro, Clipper till DOS and now Xbase++ and FoxPro 9 in WIN environments.

All the above use DBF files as database and NTX or CDX etc. for indexing. And I was able to re-use my codes from one to another language with minor modifications and add new features as per the new language.

I use AutoIt and AutoHotkey to develop small tools to help me in my development profession, for example, "Merge CSV and Text" creates the complete new project prgs from base template for me.

To convert a dBASE code to AutoIt, say, is trival if the code inputs something and processes and prints. Reading text file is also not a problem. The real problem will start if your code uses DBF and NTX files heavily and searching, sorting etc. All these which can be easily done in dBASE (it is made for it) are a 'nightmare' to do in AutoIt.

With my experience in these languages, I can assure you no converter can do justice in converting code to different 'tangent' language, like dBASE to AutoIt.

We went for xBASE++ (it is a commercial product) as it supported most of our Clipper codes, and were able to come out with a Windows version of our DOS product quickly.

Regards,

Anand

Thanks a lot Anand.

I will explain in detail why I was trapped in my past.
Best Regards

I assumed that don't exist such tool for converting autoit or autohotkey in dBASE command language.
And has not been enough motivated to convert autohotkey-autoit or simple isn't necessary or is irrelevant.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2014, 07:21 AM »
I am looking this :

http://store.dbase.c...roductCode=DBCLASSIC

Seems exactly my dBASE 5.0 for DOS with a new concept.

anand : I am not a programmer. I go well now with goldmine 5.5 (an ancient version of goldmine running in seven).

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2014, 07:23 AM »
I don't remember well the exhaustive list of problems i encounter with dBASE 5.0 for DOS  when tried to used under windows xp pro from w98SE
Even my version of Visual dBASE don't go well under xp entirely.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2014, 07:26 AM »

dBASE Classic™ brings the simplicity and power of dBASE V for DOS back to the world of development to run on the latest hardware and software.  Build hi-powered data-driven applications that use the xBASE language to its fullest.  Now run it on the latest operating system from Microsoft when used with dbDOS
Purchase now for only $99.00

Features

100% dBASE standard
    Complete solution for users and developers
    Event-handling and object models
    Developer's Desktop Integrated Development Environment (IDE)
    Unique Two-Way-Tools(tm)
    Form Designer with graphical controls
    Fully integrated 32-bit .EXE compiler

What is dbDOS ?

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2014, 07:31 AM »
http://dbaseclassic.com/
http://www.dbase.com...g-for-dbase-classic/

i remember to pay for this 150000 pesetas
when you receive paper tutorials i conserv.
 :P

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2014, 07:48 AM »
What I don't understand is dBASE classic is able to run on windows 7 64 bits or need necessarily dbDOS ?

Because seems an offer independent at the present moment able to run in these modern oS.

But why they offer dbDOS.
I think i'll need dbDOS to virtualize dBASE 5.0 for DOS (the version I have in diskettes). The program is really portable and i have tried all these years under virtualization. VB is not prepared now to run windows 98 se. But when was possible i think i have a relative vm for that purpose. i tried too an irregular installation under VMware. .......

:-\

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2014, 07:49 AM »

Actually, it was the other way around; AHK was created from AutoIt.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2014, 08:01 AM »
Ejem.

I think is possible to run in windows xp :

dBASE CLASSIC™ Requirements
dBASE CLASSIC™ will not run on Windows® Vista or above without an MS-DOS emulation program like dbDOS™. dBASE CLASSIC can run on Windows 95 – Windows XP, but for the product to run on the latest hardware and software from Microsoft, the user will need a product like dbDOS™.
dBASE CLASSIC™ Features
For a full list of features as reported when the dBASE V for DOS product was released in 1994 from BORLAND, please review the following page: FEATURES
Will there be updates dBASE CLASSIC™?
dBASE CLASSIC™ is feature complete, there will be no updates or bug fixes to the underlying dBASE V for DOS product.
What are the dBASE CLASSIC™ Support Options?
dBase, only offers installation support on the product. The dBASE V for DOS product is made available to help users who need a full copy of the product to continue to work with the product. NO DEVELOPER or INCIDENT support will be offered on the product.

My original version in diskettes don't run in windows xp pro. so may be an opportunity.
Why adquire dbDOS if i can run the program under xp that is easily virtualize with VirtualBox ?

As I told before I have an irregular installation (trial or so.....) under VMware running under Windows 98SE. But I really don't use it.

But at the present moment i have a lot of xp virtual machines running.

:huh:

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2014, 08:03 AM »

Actually, it was the other way around; AHK was created from AutoIt.

An interesting point to discuss when we are plenty of time.
I don't worry because Skwire programm in AHK, and Miguel in AI