topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 5:17 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: font request  (Read 4236 times)

Arthur Menu

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
font request
« on: December 12, 2013, 09:19 PM »
I suspect I am one of the older members of this forum. I learned handwriting (rapidly becoming a lost skill) in the 1950s. In grade 1 we were taught in my home province of British Columbia a style of cursive handwriting called the MacLean Method. I have searched for some time for a cursive font that duplicates the shape of the letters in the MacLean Method. (I can't even find a cursive font in which the lower part of the lower case letter "p" forms a loop as opposed to a straight line.) I would prefer a free font but would be willing to pay a modest fee for what I am looking for.

I don't know if any of the developers in DonationCoders design fonts, but if any do, I would ask them to consider this request.

I have attached an image of the MacLean alphabet.

Arthur

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: font request
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 10:26 PM »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 04:04 AM »
You could try here: http://www.abcteach.com/font_details.php
-cranioscopical (December 12, 2013, 10:26 PM)

-from the same page:

2013-12-13_110034.gif

* abcu_classroom_search.pdf (50.92 kB - downloaded 135 times.)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 08:59 AM »
Great googley-moogley! "Catholic School Cursive" or "Nun Script!"

I always wondered if it had an official name. It's what the Dominican Sisters dunned into our heads and hides when I was an innocent and helpless child. The public schools taught the similar but equally ugly Palmer Method. Which was probably one reason why the parochial school system I was in opted for something 'different.' (Those were different times! No love lost between the public and parochial school systems back then. And an almost ridiculously strict separation of Church and State - on every level - was considered both good and necessary by most Americans up until Regan.)

Ballpoint pens? Ungainly cursive alphabets? Using a pencil for anything other than calculations, shopping lists or marking wood for cutting? The very idea! My grandfather was having none of it. We all were required to learn and practice Spencerian script at home. And the only pen suitable for use by a "lady or gentleman" was an ink pen. His one concession to modernity was the fountain pen. (Even he was happy to abandon dip pens and inkwells.)

;D

« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 09:11 AM by 40hz »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 11:27 AM »
Great googley-moogley! "Catholic School Cursive" or "Nun Script!"

I always wondered if it had an official name. It's what the Dominican Sisters dunned into our heads and hides when I was an innocent and helpless child. The public schools taught the similar but equally ugly Palmer Method. Which was probably one reason why the parochial school system I was in opted for something 'different.' (Those were different times! No love lost between the public and parochial school systems back then. And an almost ridiculously strict separation of Church and State - on every level - was considered both good and necessary by most Americans up until Regan.)

Ballpoint pens? Ungainly cursive alphabets? Using a pencil for anything other than calculations, shopping lists or marking wood for cutting? The very idea! My grandfather was having none of it. We all were required to learn and practice Spencerian script at home. And the only pen suitable for use by a "lady or gentleman" was an ink pen. His one concession to modernity was the fountain pen. (Even he was happy to abandon dip pens and inkwells.)

;D
hot dang man!  lol.

Arthur Menu

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 07:17 PM »
I learned cursive writing in a public school. Later on went to a Catholic school with nuns. Oh yeah, the stories I could tell....But they did get across that there was a higher purpose to life than making money.

Thanks to Curt's tip I found the font I was looking for. Had to pay but it was worth it.

Arthur