topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 5:49 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: How do I control font size in PDF?  (Read 5716 times)

tslim

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
How do I control font size in PDF?
« on: November 14, 2013, 01:14 PM »
Hi,

I am not familiar with how fonts are used in a PDF document, but quite often, I do need to convert MS WORD docx documents to PDF (for reading purpose).

I notice that I can save a docx file as a PDF document from MS WORD 2010 and its save option also lets me control how the PDF file is being generated, but it seems that I can't control:

1. The font type in the output PDF
I suppose I can embed the font as used by the source docx file into the PDF, but I just couldn't figure out how to do that?

2. I also don't know how to control the size of a font in PDF when it is being view at 100% document size.

Could anyone recommend a utility, sort of WORD to PDF converter that can do the above mentioned?

I don't mind paying a shareware price (definitely don't want to pay high price like Adobe Acrobat) for it, but I do require the converter program to be hyperlink aware. i.e. it must be aware of hyperlinks in a docx source and make sure they also exist in the output PDF (like what MS WORD save as PDF does)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: How do I control font size in PDF?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 03:50 PM »
I dont use Word myself, but would have thought that almost any PDF converter/printer would do the job. (The type where you print the file to PDF - the pdf file is then created.)

I use PDFCreator myself - it's got lots of options, but there are a few default choices that would cover almost all eventualities, e.g. for web; printshop (publication); etc. AFAIK all of these options embed the font (by default, only the characters used). A word of warning - it always tries to install unwanted toolbars etc.

I dont quite understand the second question - the size of the font in the display is going to depend on the font size used in your word processor. If it's being displayed @ 100%, I guess the theory is that this would be the size when printed. In my experience this is never quite the case - it possibly depends on the PDF reader and monitor resolution etc etc
Tom

tslim

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 08:39 AM »
I dont use Word myself, but would have thought that almost any PDF converter/printer would do the job. (The type where you print the file to PDF - the pdf file is then created.)

I use PDFCreator myself - it's got lots of options, but there are a few default choices that would cover almost all eventualities, e.g. for web; printshop (publication); etc. AFAIK all of these options embed the font (by default, only the characters used). A word of warning - it always tries to install unwanted toolbars etc.

I dont quite understand the second question - the size of the font in the display is going to depend on the font size used in your word processor. If it's being displayed @ 100%, I guess the theory is that this would be the size when printed. In my experience this is never quite the case - it possibly depends on the PDF reader and monitor resolution etc etc

My second question: when I create a document with say a font size of 18 (at least that is what the size I prefer while I am in MS Word), but if I then save the document as PDF, I always end up generating a PDF with much smaller font size, at least that is what I can immediately see when I open up the PDF under 100% size (I mean no zooming in or out)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 02:40 PM »
My second question: when I create a document with say a font size of 18 (at least that is what the size I prefer while I am in MS Word), but if I then save the document as PDF, I always end up generating a PDF with much smaller font size, at least that is what I can immediately see when I open up the PDF under 100% size (I mean no zooming in or out)

It's difficult to compare how a file looks in different programmes/formats. The only *real* test of this, is to print out each file - if Word is any good at making PDFs, they should be exactly the same. If not, try a dfferent method of PDF creation.
Tom

tslim

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 03:13 AM »

It's difficult to compare how a file looks in different programmes/formats. The only *real* test of this, is to print out each file - if Word is any good at making PDFs, they should be exactly the same. If not, try a dfferent method of PDF creation.

Yap, that is why I am looking for recommendation of a good word to pdf conversion utility.
May I ask this, is PDFCreator hyperlink aware?

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 12:24 PM »
May I ask this, is PDFCreator hyperlink aware?

it sounds like that will be a problem - see http://forums.pdffor....org/discussion/8402

Yap, that is why I am looking for recommendation of a good word to pdf conversion utility.

I find it hard to believe that Word doesnt have the capacity to create a 'normal' PDF. Have you checked out all the available options? It sounds like that your only problem is that the font is not being embedded: try a search on the big old internet, I'm sure you'll find the solution:
https://startpage.com/do/search?q=word+how+to+embed+fonts+in+PDF&l=english_uk
 ;)
Tom

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 02:39 PM »
There is a manual for script commands to maintain in my administration, which is over 300 pages big, heavily linked (mainly into itself, but there are a few external links) and reasonably formatted. Whenever I need this word document converted to PDF, I use my portable version of LibreOffice.

LibreOffice can save directly into PDF, there is no need to install a PDF printer driver at least. The resulting PDF remains formatted and all links are fully functional (as in: they show up in the bookmarks functionality of PDF's!).

None of the (free) PDF printers I tried was able to manage this. Mind you, I don't use LibreOffice to edit this document, the only thing happening is loading the word document and saving it to PDF. In my (anecdotal) experience, the PDF generator from LibreOffice stands heads and shoulders above the rest.