ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Announce Your Software/Service/Product

Notescribe not taking software - request for reviews

<< < (3/3)

jpm2112:
Additionally, I take it everyone on here hates a nag screen? :) Is that something we should get rid of? -jpm2112 (May 08, 2008, 09:43 AM)
--- End quote ---
Some programs that offer a free version (crippleware?) have a nag screen (at least on occasion) to promote the paid version. Not popular, but semi-acceptable as an exchange for the free version. Many people will still not use them though because of the irritation.

Some programs have a trial period and then permit the program to continue to be used without registration - but with a nag screen coming up every time. No-one can really argue about it because they shouldn't be using it at all after the trial had run out. I definitely see this as acceptable/generous.

Having a nag screen come up during a trial period is something I see as unacceptable and I would recommend getting it out of the program.

Even more important probably in your marketplace since the completely free version of TreeDBNotes offers a lot of the functionality of NoteScribe, as do many other alternatives, and you don't really want to irritate potential customers. OTOH, many/most potential customers are probably not aware of the alternatives out there.
-Dormouse (May 09, 2008, 10:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

You're right, a nag screen is definitely not something worth losing people. I will talk to our programmer about getting that modified.

Thanks for the heads up about TreeDBNotes. I downloaded and checked it out, and it has a few features that we lack, and lacks a few that we have. I see what you mean though. If someone can get something similar for free, we probably should dispose of a constant nag.

jpm2112:
I expect a prog like this to have import/export options for text etc.

The database issue is a big one. It doesn't really matter for text/notes because there are lots of ways of dealing with that. It does matter for info that you would never want to retype and where you want certainty of future access to the data all in the right fields. It is one of the main things I look at for any database prog. It is never possible to predict which progs will come to an end and there is always the risk of being left high and dry; much less likely for very popular progs because someone will be likely to produce a means of moving the data to a still current prog.

Many progs are founded on a mainstream database engine rather than their own in-program option. For instance IdImager has options based on SQLite and SQLserver (and used to have an option based on Access's Jet engine). This gives extra confidence that the data will be readable & managable in in the future. If this is the case, it is nice to know what the engine is (and will give an idea of strengths, weaknesses and scalability).

Whether this is true or not, it is reassuring to be able to export the database in a format that can be read by other progs. Just as an way of avoiding the data being left up a blind alley.

The info in NoteScribe that seems to require that protection is the citations/sources, and probably the linkage between text, sources and attachments.

All the progs I rely on a lot have the ability to export their databases in fairly common formats. Otherwise I would never have considered them.
-Dormouse (May 09, 2008, 10:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

OK, I follow you. We've got that covered as long as I fully understood what you wrote.

peter.s:
Shifted elsewhere.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version