topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Wednesday April 17, 2024, 10:59 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: ANDROID: What's a good recipe viewing app?  (Read 7249 times)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
ANDROID: What's a good recipe viewing app?
« on: September 02, 2013, 07:05 PM »
Hi folks,

I'm looking for an app for my Android tablet (Nexus 7) that will display my recipes so I can easily refer to it while cooking.

Note that I'm not necessarily looking for an app that gives me access to an online repository of recipes, though that would be nice. But what I'm really looking for is something I can enter my own recipes into to refer to.

I did a search on the Google Play Store and found an app for Big Oven which looks nice and I'll definitely be giving it a try, but I figured I'd ask the opinion of anybody else here who might already have done this search and tried out a few and come to a conclusion on a particular app.

Thanks!

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: ANDROID: What's a good recipe viewing app?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 09:07 PM »
This is one of those applications that I've wanted to write for a long time. When I look at so much of what's available, I just throw my hands up in disgust. Apparently everything is much harder than it looks - Murphy was an optimist. I have no recommendations. I still use paper books for recipes as there's no advantage to using an app for me.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 10:59 PM »
Haven't tried it, but the following has source code available:

Bites

As a slight digression...

My general impression of developing for Android (having been working at it for some months) is that it's quite a different experience from Desktop app development.

For example, one of the things one must contend with is that the system keeps trying to elimintate running processes associated with 3rd party developers -- so a certain amount of development effort goes in to trying to cope with that.  As I understand it, this is in the name of battery life and responsiveness :)

Another example is that non-system apps are restricted in what they can do -- and I've noticed that certain things that used to be possible are no longer possible (unless the app is a system app).

It is a different world, but as I understand it, other mobile platforms aren't really better off.

I find it's very easy to wonder why a particular app doesn't do X -- then when I go to look into how X might be accomplished, it's not unusual to find that it's not possible, it's really hard, or something similar...
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 11:06 PM by ewemoa »

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 11:57 PM »
@Deozaan:

Did you end up finding something to your liking?

I'm looking for something that will for starters:

• Allow creation of own recipes
  • Store ingredient list per recipe
  • Import/Export from/to file
  • Associate at least one image with each recipe
  • Search by recipe name as well as ingredients
  • Provide a way to browse recipes by the associated images -- plus filter based on name / ingredient search criteria
  • Functions adequately without signing up for an account

Things that seem to come close include:

« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 01:36 AM by ewemoa, Reason: Updated requirements list »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 01:03 AM »
I'm looking for something that will for starters:

• Allow creation of own recipes
  • Store ingredient list per recipe
  • Import/Export from/to file
  • Associate at least one image with each recipe
  • Search by recipe name as well as ingredients
  • Provide a way to browse recipes by the associated images -- plus filter based on name / ingredient search criteria

I've been using Big Oven, which seems to do everything in your list, except perhaps export to file. But you can import recipes from other websites, typing in manually, or even by uploading a photo/scan of a recipe (though I think they start charging you money for that method after the first few).

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 01:35 AM »
Thanks for the response -- is it correct that without signing up for an account functionality is fairly limited?  I installed it and went to try out some of the functionality but I keep getting some dialog about signing up...when I decline, I don't seem to get very far.  Not to my liking if so...I have updated my requirements to reflect this ;)

Is there a name for apps that require accounts?  Or perhaps a name for apps that don't?  If not, may be it's time to come up with some good names :)