topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:10 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: P3005 HP LaserJet printer questions  (Read 20031 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: P3005 HP LaserJet printer questions
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2013, 10:54 AM »
plain water is ...considerable safer since it isn't flammable.

isn't flammable = 15 characters
less fun = 8 characters

You're being pretty verbose there. :P ;D

Did I mention that I work for an HP Authorized Service Provider (ASP). ;)

Which is why I bow out of printer topics once you enter, unless it's to be a smart ass. ;D
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2013, 11:09 AM »
Renegade is a smart ass and Stoic Joker is a smart asp! :P

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2013, 05:26 PM »

Did I mention I've been cleaning and re-filling ink cartridges for years now?   :P

I've had many cartridges that just wouldn't cooperate unless I soaked them in alcohol, usually the ones that have sat in the printer for long periods of time without being used.  It's like the ink is caked up inside the print heads.  For some reason it seems that HP cartridges are more famous for this, don't know if it's because of the type of ink they use or what.  Their inks are also famous for foaming and you have to really sloooowly inject the ink, and even then it foams, causing air-lock.
  As for the flammability of every day rubbing alcohol, it's so weak I have a hard time lighting it unless it has a wick, like a paper towel.   ;D  I've tried using alcohol to burn stuff before, and it's flashpoint is just too darned high.  Now good ol' fashioned White Lightening on the other hand.......   :o  But then who would want to burn that?   :D

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2013, 01:20 AM »
I've never bothered much with refilling inkjet cartridges, especially HP's since I was never a big fan of their inkjet printers in the first place. However I have quite a bit of experience with alcohol burning backpacking stoves.

There are 2 primary factors in the flammability of any alcohol. The first is purity. Standard rubbing alcohol is 70% isopropyl alcohol and 30% water. This mixture is used specifically to reduce the chance of ignition for medical applications. However it is also available in concentrations as high as 99% alcohol (90% is probably more common) which, of course, increases flammibility.

The other variable is environmental temperature. 70% alcohol solutions in particular are relatively difficult to ignite at standard room temperatures. 90% or higher solutions are obviously easier to ignite at the same temperature, but particularly in air conditioned rooms may still be a lot less flammable than you would expect.
I learned to say the pledge of allegiance
Before they beat me bloody down at the station
They haven't got a word out of me since
I got a billion years probation
- The MC5

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the danger of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of ''crackpot'' than the stigma of conformity.
- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

I recommend reading through my Bio before responding to any of my posts. It could save both of us a lot of time and frustration.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 02:40 AM by Vurbal »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2013, 02:16 AM »
^^ Interesting. In Canada rubbing alcohol is 70% isopropyl alcohol, and not ethyl alcohol. Here in Australia, it's something like 60% isopropyl. You can get 95% ethyl alcohol at the grocer though as a cleaning solution. It's 95% ethyl alcohol and 5% water according to the MSDS, but has an terrible odor, which seems quite odd. Anyways, it burns very nicely. Put it in a spray bottle to clean around the house of just relax and have fun with a mini-flame thrower. :D

Renegade is a smart ass and Stoic Joker is a smart asp! :P

Hehehee! ;D Yuppers!

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2013, 02:40 AM »
^^ Interesting. In Canada rubbing alcohol is 70% isopropyl alcohol, and not ethyl alcohol.
That's what I get for not paying attention to what I'm writing.  :o  I meant isopropyl but my mind wandered off to other alcohol fuels and my fingers followed.
- The MC5

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the danger of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of ''crackpot'' than the stigma of conformity.
- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

I recommend reading through my Bio before responding to any of my posts. It could save both of us a lot of time and frustration.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2013, 07:17 AM »
 :huh: Christ on a stick ... Seriously?  :wallbash: ...I wasn't comparing it to the dangers of smoking while washing engine parts in gasoline on a hot summer day ... I was just making a joke about water not being flammable.

Damn, this is a tough crowd sometimes...

:D

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2013, 08:53 AM »
^^ Interesting. In Canada rubbing alcohol is 70% isopropyl alcohol, and not ethyl alcohol.
That's what I get for not paying attention to what I'm writing.  :o  I meant isopropyl but my mind wandered off to other alcohol fuels and my fingers followed.

Easily done. Especially as ethyl alcohol is pretty much everyone's favourite~!  :Thmbsup:

:huh: Christ on a stick ... Seriously?  :wallbash: ...I wasn't comparing it to the dangers of smoking while washing engine parts in gasoline on a hot summer day ... I was just making a joke about water not being flammable.

Well, the water in Ireland and Russia *IS* flammable. ;)

But, if you mean strictly *American* water, then only if nobody is fracking nearby. Which reminds me... Why is American booze like making love in a canoe?

NSFW
Because it's f**king close to water!

I'm finished being a smart ass now. You can resume being a smart asp! ;) 8)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2013, 11:53 AM »
^Once again proving^ that sympathy is in the dictionary, right between shit and syphilis.

(Old expression my dad used - That made mom furious - which is why I memorized it at the age of 6).

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2013, 01:33 PM »
^Once again proving^ that sympathy is in the dictionary, right between shit and syphilis.

(Old expression my dad used - That made mom furious - which is why I memorized it at the age of 6).
My wife and kids hate it when I say that, which just encourages me of course.
- The MC5

- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2013, 04:07 PM »
^Once again proving^ that sympathy is in the dictionary, right between .

I remember that quote from the movie Major Payne.   :D