ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

P3005 HP LaserJet printer questions

<< < (6/8) > >>

Renegade:
plain water is ...considerable safer since it isn't flammable.-Stoic Joker (August 11, 2013, 08:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

isn't flammable = 15 characters
less fun = 8 characters

You're being pretty verbose there. :P ;D

Did I mention that I work for an HP Authorized Service Provider (ASP). ;)-Stoic Joker (August 11, 2013, 08:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

Which is why I bow out of printer topics once you enter, unless it's to be a smart ass. ;D

techidave:
Renegade is a smart ass and Stoic Joker is a smart asp! :P

Tinman57:

Did I mention I've been cleaning and re-filling ink cartridges for years now?   :P

I've had many cartridges that just wouldn't cooperate unless I soaked them in alcohol, usually the ones that have sat in the printer for long periods of time without being used.  It's like the ink is caked up inside the print heads.  For some reason it seems that HP cartridges are more famous for this, don't know if it's because of the type of ink they use or what.  Their inks are also famous for foaming and you have to really sloooowly inject the ink, and even then it foams, causing air-lock.
  As for the flammability of every day rubbing alcohol, it's so weak I have a hard time lighting it unless it has a wick, like a paper towel.   ;D  I've tried using alcohol to burn stuff before, and it's flashpoint is just too darned high.  Now good ol' fashioned White Lightening on the other hand.......   :o  But then who would want to burn that?   :D

Vurbal:
I've never bothered much with refilling inkjet cartridges, especially HP's since I was never a big fan of their inkjet printers in the first place. However I have quite a bit of experience with alcohol burning backpacking stoves.

There are 2 primary factors in the flammability of any alcohol. The first is purity. Standard rubbing alcohol is 70% isopropyl alcohol and 30% water. This mixture is used specifically to reduce the chance of ignition for medical applications. However it is also available in concentrations as high as 99% alcohol (90% is probably more common) which, of course, increases flammibility.

The other variable is environmental temperature. 70% alcohol solutions in particular are relatively difficult to ignite at standard room temperatures. 90% or higher solutions are obviously easier to ignite at the same temperature, but particularly in air conditioned rooms may still be a lot less flammable than you would expect.

Renegade:
^^ Interesting. In Canada rubbing alcohol is 70% isopropyl alcohol, and not ethyl alcohol. Here in Australia, it's something like 60% isopropyl. You can get 95% ethyl alcohol at the grocer though as a cleaning solution. It's 95% ethyl alcohol and 5% water according to the MSDS, but has an terrible odor, which seems quite odd. Anyways, it burns very nicely. Put it in a spray bottle to clean around the house of just relax and have fun with a mini-flame thrower. :D

Renegade is a smart ass and Stoic Joker is a smart asp! :P
-techidave (August 11, 2013, 11:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hehehee! ;D Yuppers!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version