As part of the project I mentioned
on the Easy Screencast Recorder thread I'm attempting to create what I'm calling a System Bar for Windows. The basic idea is to reimagine the (IMO severely outdated) Start Menu and Control Panel. I'll be creating a separate thread to get general input on it but I've suddenly run into a strange issue creating menus from text files.
I should probably mention this is on Windows 7.
The menu items in FileContents nodes suddenly started showing me incorrect icons. Instead of the icon I specify (using the /icon argument) every menu item displays the file handler icon you would see in a file manager. Here's where it gets really strange though. It didn't start happening until after I set the file associations for various standard image formats to XnView. At first I suspected XnView was at fault but it turns out the same thing happens if I associate the file extensions with MS Paint or GIMP. OTOH if I set it back to the Windows default (Windows Photo Viewer) that fixes the problem.
Here's an example when Photo Viewer is set to default:
And here's what it looks like when I change it to XnView:
This doesn't affect any other type of node. In fact it doesn't even happen to the icon set for the node itself or icons automatically extracted from an executable in the text file - just icons set using the /icon argument. A (semi) educated guess would be that they are being processed in a file system context for some reason rather than actually being opened.
Here's the NirCmd menu with various programs set to default for opening ICO files: Photo Viewer (Windows default) MS Paint XnView GIMP