topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:24 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: town in Canada getting 1 Gbps internet cheaper than Google Fiber  (Read 3980 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
 :o

E.N.V.I.O.U.S.

W.A.N.T.

N.O.M.N.O.M.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I should move

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I wonder if it will come to the point where ISPs like Comcast will be forced by law to allow fiber optic services to lay in cable along the same trenches/byways/channels .. whatever the term is .. similar to how the phone company was finally forced to let competitors use their lines?  That would really shake up the world!!  1 Gb/s service for $19.95/Mo.   :)

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I wonder if it will come to the point where ISPs like Comcast will be forced by law to allow fiber optic services to lay in cable along the same trenches/byways/channels .. whatever the term is .. similar to how the phone company was finally forced to let competitors use their lines?  That would really shake up the world!!  1 Gb/s service for $19.95/Mo.   :)

It's just a damned shame that internet services cost so much and is so slow in the U.S.  But it's about par for big companies to gouge consumers here....

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
There was a news story on ABC here a few days ago: Tennessee town with fastest internet speeds in the US

BEN KNIGHT: Part of that is because the big data companies have learned from the Chattanooga experience. They've successfully lobbied 18 US states to pass laws that block other cities from building their own fibre networks.

If that isn't anti-competitive, what is?

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
BEN KNIGHT: Part of that is because the big data companies have learned from the Chattanooga experience. They've successfully lobbied 18 US states to pass laws that block other cities from building their own fibre networks.

If that isn't anti-competitive, what is?

:(

What you're expecting me to say... i.e. classical cynicism
No. You're missing the entire point of fascism. You purchase legislation to block out as much competition as possible, and make it illegal to compete with you. It's all wonderful as it helps create jobs and stimulates the economy as it funnels boundless cash into the pockets of consolidated capital fascists that then turn around and purchase luxury cars and have massive mansions built for them. And as the middle class sinks further into poverty, it helps drive sales and increase employment for McDonalds and soup kitchens. See?!? Everyone gets a slice. 

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker