topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:53 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Screenshot Captor - Blank Capture Problem Solved - Caused by Avast plugin  (Read 18827 times)

rembrant

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I upgraded to the latest (4.5?) and had a problem with whenever I select Grab Selected Region (which is usually what I need), I get a white screen and a red crosswire and a grid to the lower left side. If I try and guess where I need to select I hear the shutter sound and the New Screenshot window just shows a white image of nothing.

Thinking it was because of the new version I uninstalled it and reinstalled 4.01. Same problem. I had this before but it seemed to solve itself though I don't know why or how, before upgrading. Can anyone help please. Great application otherwise.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 01:20 PM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
blank captures are due to a security program being an ass:
https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=20962.0

rembrant

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I turned off the Avast Free AntiVirus Shields Control for 10 minutes (except I could not turn it on again or even open Avast so has to reboot) but before rebooting I was able to capture OK. I can capture a desktop section OK but it seems to be something to do with Firefox. If Firefox (my usual browser) is open I can't capture that, but open another browser and I can capture that one, but only with Firefox minimised to the Taskbar.

I tried making Screenshotcaptor an exclusion in the automatic sandboxing in Avast to no effect. I use Outpost Firewall Free and  settings, under Application Rules, I found Screenshotcaptor and it shows two Avast content filters. I tried turning both off to no effect.

Here are screenshots of Outpost attached

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
First you could disable Avast and Outpost and see if you still have the problem.
If no problem, then it has to be the settings in Avast or Outpost.
Click allow, as in your 2nd shot, allow or disable protection for screenshotcapture.exe in all the settings you can find.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 08:17 PM by cmpm »

rembrant

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I disabled the Avast Shields and the capture worked. With Shields on again it didn't. I then turned off Outpost firewall, just using Windows Firewall and it captured OK.

Your suggestion of clicking allow in the rules in my screenshot changed the word to block and changed the colour of the blob in my first screenshot to red, presumably meaning it is now blocked. Still no capture. I tried deleting these rules but as I launched Screenshotcaptor again, Outpost just prompted for action again, remaking the rules, though not both initially. So short of switching off Outpost and using the Windows Firewall, I really don't know.

Amendment: It seems to be an issue with capturing images from Firefox. Chrome and IE8 are both OK.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 06:11 PM by rembrant »

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I disabled the Avast Shields and the capture worked.

After doing this did SC work in Firefox?
Might want to check your Firefox add-ons for what Avast and Outpost added. I don't know of any problem with SC and Firefox by themselves. So I'm sure it's an add-on or some type of Avast and/or Outpost interference.

I tried deleting these rules but as I launched Screenshotcaptor again, Outpost just prompted for action again, remaking the rules, though not both initially.

I suspect you need to make a new rule specific to allowing SC to function without being intercepted in Outpost and Avast.

rembrant

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

After doing this did SC work in Firefox?
Might want to check your Firefox add-ons for what Avast and Outpost added. I don't know of any problem with SC and Firefox by themselves. So I'm sure it's an add-on or some type of Avast and/or Outpost interference.

Yes SC worked after disabling shields.
There is Avast Online Security plugin (which I though was called Web-Rep still). Disabling this allows SC to work. Pity as I like it.

I suspect you need to make a new rule specific to allowing SC to function without being intercepted in Outpost and Avast.
Don't know how though  :-[

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Does the Avast Firefox plug-in/add-on have options?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 09:58 PM by cmpm »

rembrant

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
No it doesn't have options, not within Firefox anyway. If I go to Avast Free Antivirus settings, I see that there is a section for Browser Integration. It shows the security plugin is installed for IE, Firefox, Opera but not Chrome (which may have its own version I think, not that it shows in Chrome). In fact I'm rather confused about why the plugin is now called Avast Online Security 8.0.1489

In the Avast settings I can disable webrep which prevents it showing in Google results, but Avast Online Security 8.0.1489 still shows as a plugin in Firefox. The only other option is not to show tooltips in the Avast settings for Webrep.  :huh:

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
WebRep is probably like WOT, it rates web sites.
Seems webrep may be more intrusive then WOT, preventing actions.
Here's a link about disabling or removing WebRep and Avast Security from Firefox if you want to.

http://techdows.com/...-ie-and-firefox.html

http://techdows.com/...ow-to-remove-it.html

See if SC works after following these directions.
You can always reinstall or enable WebRep and Avast Security.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 12:14 PM by cmpm, Reason: added another link »

rembrant

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Well this is odd. I just uninstalled the plugin from Avast, then reinstalled now SC works! I'll leave it be for a bit! But many thanks for your help.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
No problem. Some Security programs are getting better, but worse with false positives.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
cmpm+rembrant, thanks for solving this; I've taken the liberty of changing the topic title to make it easier for others to find.

rembrant

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
 :'( Avast did a scheduled Quick scan since I posted apparent success but now - oops -  spoke too soon! Problem is back again  :( Even with Avast Plugin uninstalled. Even re-uninstalled and re-installed - still no SC.  :down:
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 02:13 PM by rembrant »

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yeah, need to tell Avast to allow SC.

Right Click Avast's tray icon.
Settings-Programs. I'm guessing.
Find screenshotcapture.exe and allow it or trusted...something like that.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Check this page for help.

http://www.ctimls.co.../Configure_Avast.htm

The problem is that the terms for configuring Security software are different with different Security software.

Making the right settings hard to find, cause I don't use Avast.

rembrant

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ah yeh that's for the full Avast security suite that includes a firewall and an older version than current too. I am using Avast Free Antivirus 8.0.1489 and Outpost Firewall free edition (2009 is the latest free edition). The screenshots I have in reply #2 of this thread at https://www.donation....msg331379#msg331379 are from Outpost.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ok, if this is what you have, it's "exclusions".

Click "add" and find screenshotcapture.exe in C:\Program Files\ScreenshotCaptor.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
you might have to reinstall SC, because Avast probably quarantined it on the last quick scan.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
here's the site i got that shot from if anyone is interested
cause I'm not sure if exclusions is only place for Avast to leave a file alone

https://cyberraiden....st-8-free-antivirus/

rembrant

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
On dear I think I give up! I did as you suggested including reinstalling SC, though I tried before reinstalling. Still same. Even turning off the Avast Shields fails to make it work as it did much earlier in this discussion.

Addendum: I use Trusteer Rapport banking software as required by some banks. Turning that off in Firefox makes SC work. Turning it back on and it still works, but restart FF & SC stops. If I go to IE8 (Rapport is showing there) SC works. Still seems to be a FF Avast plugin issue.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 06:32 PM by rembrant »

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
eh!?, yeah....another security software, Trusteer Rapport

https://krebsonsecur...pport-from-trusteer/

Some of today’s nastiest data-stealing malware works by hijacking these Windows APIs. For example, keyloggers simply hijack or ‘hook’ the Windows API that handles the transmission of data from user interfaces, such as the keyboard and mouse. A more advanced type of malware – known as a ‘form grabber’ – hijacks the ‘WinInet‘ API – which sets up the SSL (think https://) transaction between the user’s browser and the encrypted Web site. By hijacking this API, a form grabber can rip out usernames and passwords even when the user is submitting them into a site that encrypts the data during transmission because it grabs that information at the lower level of the operating system, before it is encrypted.

Trusteer’s software examines these and other vital Windows APIs to see if any other process is trying to intercept sensitive data. It then blocks those that do.

treating it like other security software should reveal a way to exclude or allow

for that I suggest contacting Trusteer Rapport

not that Trusteer Rapport is a bad program, but in the interest of your security, I would not have you display on a public forum it's workings, or you working with it

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
the more I look at this Trusteer Rapport deal, from what I've read, it's had problems with Firefox, but not other browsers, and problems in general which may be normal

and it would think SC is a security risk for taking screen shots of user names and passwords

https://www.bankofam.../trusteer-rapport.go

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Addendum: I use Trusteer Rapport banking software as required by some banks. Turning that off in Firefox makes SC work. Turning it back on and it still works, but restart FF & SC stops. If I go to IE8 (Rapport is showing there) SC works. Still seems to be a FF Avast plugin issue.

no, it's not required by any bank i know of
i checked a few banks that offered this and TOS, all optional
i think it's a good protection layer
which makes me wonder about the direction this thread could have taken from reply 13
maybe not, just wondering

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
ok found one that requires it-

Our free Trusteer Rapport software—required for BB&T CashManager OnLine® users—keeps your transactions and login credentials secure

http://www.bbt.com/b...ection-software.page

my bad, just cautious i guess...