topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:22 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Prism Break  (Read 5626 times)

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Prism Break
« on: June 29, 2013, 03:18 AM »
Quite the hullabaloo over this PRISM stuff, eh?

In case you're interested (and those who are probably already know much of this), a new website has started up which lists alternatives to your favorite browsers, social media, etc.  Most I knew about already, many I didn't.  A bit biased towards the GNU/Linux/BSD crowd, but then again, ain't it always?

Opt out of PRISM, the NSA’s global data surveillance program. Stop reporting your online activities to the American government with these free alternatives to proprietary software.

from somewhere interesting...

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Prism Break
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 01:02 PM »
Oooo ... This looks fun to play with: Anonym.OS

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 08:11 PM »

That's been abandoned since 06 according to one of the post.

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 07:45 AM »
Quite a lot to digest...thanks Edvard!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 10:26 AM »

That's been abandoned since 06 according to one of the post.

Tails (The Amnesic Incognito Live System) has largely stepped in and filled the gap left by AnonymOS going moribund. Info and download here.

Be sure to read its warning page which explains the limitations of what this distro can do for security.
 8)

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 03:16 PM »
Speaking of Breaking Prism, someone broke it some more:

From Slashdot's summary:
"Lots of new program names, flowcharts, and detail in four previously unreleased PRISM slides published by the WA Post today."
http://www.washingto...ollection-documents/

(Sarcasm) "This continues to be complete photoshopped lies" and/or "this is not important enough for Pres. Obama to care about." - Spin team.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 11:24 AM »
Be sure to read its warning page which explains the limitations of what this distro can do for security.

Oh the irony ... We're in the process of transitioning the internal systems (going virtual), and I don't currently have an unfiltered (bypass) DNS server available (decommissioned hard box). So when I tried to visit your link I got nailed by the (to keep the staff honest) edge web filter.

Now granted, I am the admin ... But I feel obligated to yell at myself for being a %&^*$ dumbass.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Side note: I noticed that OpenDNS is rather curiously absent from the above list...have they gone to the dark side?!?

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 08:47 PM »

Oh the irony ... We're in the process of transitioning the internal systems (going virtual), and I don't currently have an unfiltered (bypass) DNS server available (decommissioned hard box). So when I tried to visit your link I got nailed by the (to keep the staff honest) edge web filter.

Now granted, I am the admin ... But I feel obligated to yell at myself for being a %&^*$ dumbass.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Side note: I noticed that OpenDNS is rather curiously absent from the above list...have they gone to the dark side?!?

I found the same thing when I clicked the link.........

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 11:11 PM »
I've been searching around the OpenDNS blog and website for clues, and I get their newsletters in the email, but haven't found anything directly related to PRISM or sundry.  One thing they do offer that's security-conscious is DNS encryption via their open-source DNSCrypt tool, which (IMO) gives them a shuffle over to the good guys side.  Maybe we'll see a position post from them in the near future, I don't know.  Until then I'll be keeping an eye out for any outside reports.

Also, if anyone here is using StartPage for searching, you may have noticed their announcement of an encrypted email service they are calling StartMail.  I've signed up as a beta tester and now you can too:

Check it out here -> https://www.startmail.com

(p.s. It's not going to be free, but as f0dder and others have said; if it's free, you're not the customer, you're the product)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 11:17 PM by Edvard »