topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:41 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: image comparer desktop software  (Read 17140 times)

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
image comparer desktop software
« on: June 18, 2013, 10:14 AM »
I would like to know the best software for image comparation

Best Regards
 :-*

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: image comparer desktop software
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 02:31 PM »
is "image" a photographic picture or a computer backup?

If it is about photos, I am sad to say  no-one has really made an effort the last couple of years => there is almost nothing! I use the old Bolide Image Comparer, but 1) I would like something new and fancy to replace it, and 2) it doesn't seem to be maintained, so it may not be worth the money to new customers.

kunkel321

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 03:28 PM »
I've used Visipics for comparing small images (homemade icons).  It's okay.
http://www.visipics.....php?title=Main_Page

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 05:43 PM »
is "image" a photographic picture or a computer backup?

If it is about photos, I am sad to say  no-one has really made an effort the last couple of years => there is almost nothing! I use the old Bolide Image Comparer, but 1) I would like something new and fancy to replace it, and 2) it doesn't seem to be maintained, so it may not be worth the money to new customers.

are pictures on the pc to compare. One with all the others.
best Regards

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 05:51 PM »
I've used Visipics for comparing small images (homemade icons).  It's okay.
http://www.visipics.....php?title=Main_Page

Trying . I will comment.
 :P

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 07:02 PM »
VisiPics seems very good but I don't see the option to compare an image selected with any other similar in my pc.

Seems oriented to search images in specified folders with similar characteristics, but not only one. Now is working. And I have many terabytes.

Is not possible search to compare with a selected image ?

Best Regards

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 08:06 PM »
I believe what you're asking for is a Reverse Image Search for your computer: select one, find all similar.

If so, you're probably out of luck.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 08:18 PM »
I believe what you're asking for is a Reverse Image Search for your computer: select one, find all similar.

If so, you're probably out of luck.

Yesssss.
select one , find all similar

:-[

out of luck is kaputt ?¿?¿?¿

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 09:16 PM »
out of luck is kaputt ?¿?¿?¿

Yes.

It's why people spend so many hours tagging photos in various DAMws - there's currently no easier way, (which seems crazy to me).

If you only want it for images with people in, then the facial recognition in Picasa is probably as good as it gets for free.

There is a library available that could do what you want but you'd need someone to port it to Windows and then create a program around it, Libpuzzle.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 09:39 PM »
I was looking around in the meanwhile and seems a pending matter developing at the present moment.

Best Regards
 :)

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 10:14 PM »
I use http://www.duplicate...inder.com/photo.html quite a bit, and find the similarity percentage helpful in sorting.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2013, 10:21 PM »
I use http://www.duplicate...inder.com/photo.html quite a bit, and find the similarity percentage helpful in sorting.
-Perry Mowbray (June 18, 2013, 10:14 PM)

Owww running to try while VisiPics is running

sicknero

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013, 08:55 AM »
Eh I just posted about this in Coding Snacks as somebody brought it up on another form this week. Bit much for Snacks I think but don't ask don't get etc...

I agree anyway, I'm surprised if there isn't already something out there that does this. Tineye etc for local hard drives, would be great.

Duplicate finders ... yes but the trouble is that they will throw up a list of all duplicates, not just the ones that relate to the pic you're working with. Unless, I thought, the finder has an option to ONLY show cross-directory duplicates in which case you just copy your pic on its own to a New Folder and then compare that with your pictures directory.

Visipics I like a lot but it doesn't do cross-directory comparison full stop. Or not for me anyway. Also, try grayscaling a picture and see if Visi flags it as a duplicate (it doesn't). Anti Twin on the other hand does.

So for a thorough duplicate search I would use two or three different searchers as they all have strengths and weaknesses.

There's also a tempting looking prog called Photology which claims to be able to search by "simple and intuitive filters like faces, sky, color, location, and time of day". Photology

I downloaded it ages ago but still haven't got around to trying it out yet. It apparently works by indexing all your pics by some criteria or other and then ... don't know :-)

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2013, 10:15 AM »
 :-[
All my tries goes down.
Freeze the pc.
Don't give results

nothing until the moment.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2013, 10:15 AM »
Eh I just posted about this in Coding Snacks as somebody brought it up on another form this week. Bit much for Snacks I think but don't ask don't get etc...

I agree anyway, I'm surprised if there isn't already something out there that does this. Tineye etc for local hard drives, would be great.

Duplicate finders ... yes but the trouble is that they will throw up a list of all duplicates, not just the ones that relate to the pic you're working with. Unless, I thought, the finder has an option to ONLY show cross-directory duplicates in which case you just copy your pic on its own to a New Folder and then compare that with your pictures directory.

Visipics I like a lot but it doesn't do cross-directory comparison full stop. Or not for me anyway. Also, try grayscaling a picture and see if Visi flags it as a duplicate (it doesn't). Anti Twin on the other hand does.

So for a thorough duplicate search I would use two or three different searchers as they all have strengths and weaknesses.

There's also a tempting looking prog called Photology which claims to be able to search by "simple and intuitive filters like faces, sky, color, location, and time of day". Photology

I downloaded it ages ago but still haven't got around to trying it out yet. It apparently works by indexing all your pics by some criteria or other and then ... don't know :-)

Owww trying of course.
I will comment

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2013, 12:24 PM »
option to compare an image selected with any other similar in my pc.

Use the Bolide I was talking about. Create a folder for the picture in question. Navigate Bolide to the folder and tell it to find any similar picture. Easy. My reason for complaining about Bolide is not that it doesn't work, because it does, but because it looks and feels like an elderly, abandoned program. But it does the job.

http://www.bitsdujou...tware/image-comparer

sicknero

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2013, 05:48 PM »
I followed your link but I can only see payware and trials there?

Must admit though that this bit - "automatically selects the best shot" puts me off a bit. I don't much like software doing anything automatically for me.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2013, 06:32 PM »
I followed your link but I can only see payware and trials there?

Must admit though that this bit - "automatically selects the best shot" puts me off a bit. I don't much like software doing anything automatically for me.

Don't ? . I think you have your reasons because robot life will be the end and suffering of our world next years from now , but my personal use and invididually with my custom a "little lazy" i love automatically programas.........

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2013, 08:17 PM »
I am trying Photology . I seems a good program with a nice interface. I will comment because have to scan my many many harddisks.... (7) and x partitions.....

The program presentations is formidable :
"Photology helps you navigate the flood of digital photos on your computer by finding photos using simple and intuitive filters like faces, sky, color, location, and time of day. Photology's intuitive user interface is simple and straightforward. It only shows you what you need, when you need it, and all functionality is accessed via large, clearly identified buttons. Most photo software requires you to tag your photos or relies on organized folders. But not Photology! Photology analyzes your photos so you can search for them as if you were telling a story, using intuitive search filters that reflect the way people think and remember. No tags, no folders--Photology just knows your photos. "

Nice indeed.

Will be true in my special case ?

Tryinggggg

It's not a portable app. at all. Need Framework NET 3.0

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2013, 08:42 PM »
I will comment tomorrow. I have a lot of images and so many TB.
Now is scanning the beautiful girls photos. I have a lot !!!!!!!!!
Then beatiful landscapes... I have a lot too !!!!!!!!!
Go to rest !!!!!!!1

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2013, 02:01 AM »
After saying you may be out of luck, here's something I've found: Image Forensics Search System

What is IFSS?

Image Forensic Search System (IFSS) is free, open source software for image searching. It allows you to

• search a target image within another image, or
  • search images that are similar to a target image.

The main motivation behind the development of the IFSS software was to assist law enforcement agencies and similar organisations when they need to find whether a particular image (which they already possess) is stored in the typically thousands of images on a hard disk. For example, the police may have an image showing illegal activity of some kind, and wish to automatically search a seized hard disk to see whether the image is on that hard disk.

The IFSS software uses a simple 'wizard' so the user can quickly choose the source image, type of search, search parameters, and which folder to start searching in.
The two types of search are

• a search for images which are similar to the source image presented to the system, and
  • a search for the source image inside other images, commonly called image within image search.

pic_flow.png

NOTE: I haven't used it so I can't tell you how fast/slow, good/bad it is.

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2013, 02:39 AM »
For 1 on 1 comparison I use Beyond Compare:
http://www.scooterso...&shot=PixCompare

For bigger jobs – Image Magic:
http://www.imagemagi...k.org/Usage/compare/

Both solutions I found pretty useful.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2013, 05:42 AM »
 ;D

Owwwwwwww. I will comment about everything, but at these moments i continue scanning with Photology. Must be making a enormous image database. I think is similar to Picasa or something like that scanning....

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2013, 09:17 AM »
Indexing complete 140662 photos is the message from photology a few minutes ago. I have seen now. May be an hour ago, not more.
 ;D
So the process is completed.. Now going to search

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2013, 09:50 AM »
Is thinking I think after completing the indexing......

:-\