topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 2:15 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Screenshot Problems (4.03) OS Win 7 64bit  (Read 3519 times)

Bad Bank

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Screenshot Problems (4.03) OS Win 7 64bit
« on: May 29, 2013, 09:49 AM »
I am a new user to this program and I discovered a problem. (I'm not english, I hope I can explain it correctly.)

I can create a screenshot from windows desktop or any other open window like Firefox. But if I run a game (fullscreen) I only get a empty screenshot file. No matter if it's a old game or a newer one.

I tried to search the preferences but I found nothing. Everything I tried had no effect. I always get empty screenshots.
But maybe I don't understand some of the settings.

Can you give me a hint please?

Bad Bank

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Screenshot Problems (4.03) OS Win 7 64bit
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 10:10 AM »
Found it. Oh my.

I didn't realize that I need to press "Alt PrintScreen" not only "PrintScreen".

But that's dangerous.I want to write a story in a game forum and I really hope I do not forget the ALT key if I want to make a quick screenshot during a combat.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 10:14 AM »
You can customize that on the SSC Preferences page called "HotKeys and Shortcuts" :up:

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 11:12 AM »
Found it. Oh my.

But that's dangerous.I want to write a story in a game forum and I really hope I do not forget the ALT key if I want to make a quick screenshot during a combat.

PrtScr *should* work - but might not with fullscreen games. As Ath says though, you can change hotkeys :up:
Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 05:41 PM »
Well changing hotkeys does't really seem to be the issue that's being raised here.

Actually this is interesting -- it sounds like what Bad Bank is saying is that for some reason the full-screen screenshot function is failing on full-screen games, but the ACTIVE WINDOW capture method, because it works slightly differently, is succeeding -- even though they are essentially capturing the same region of the monitor in this case.

There is some logic to this, since the active-window based capture uses as different Windows API function call.

So there are a few things to think about:
  • 1. Just remember that for (some?) full screen games you should try alt+prtscr to do an active window capture -- and perhaps we should make that info more widely known for others that have same issue (may depend on the OS or the graphics card or game).
  • 2. Maybe i'll look at adding an option to automatically use the window-capture API when user tries to capture the screen and a full-screen application is running.