topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:26 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Connection Conundrum  (Read 6716 times)

pilgrim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Cogito ergo ?
    • View Profile
    • Pilgrim's Page
    • Donate to Member
Connection Conundrum
« on: May 11, 2013, 07:29 AM »
I have access to a lot of VPN's and have rarely had problems with any of them but at the moment I am having a problem (only on Windows 7) with one particular server and before I consign the matter to 'one of life's little mysteries' I thought I would see if anyone had any ideas.

The protocol is PPTP, the server is one of three from the same provider, the other two both work as do all those from other providers, which to my mind would tend to rule out port or firewall issues.
When I try to run this connection from Windows 7 I am getting an 807 error. When I tried to connect from XP Mode (on the same computer) the connection went through, which I would think rules out a server issue.

I do not get 'support' from this provider as I have one of the free (lifetime) licenses they offer from time to time but I did notify them of the problem and they said they could find no reason for it at their end.

I have tried shutting down both the Windows firewall and TinyWall as well as my AV, it never made the slightest difference, which leaves me with the question what (on Windows 7) could be preventing access to that one server?
I spent 25 years training to be an eccentric then I woke up one morning and realised that I'd cracked it.
I've not had to try since.

I wonder what happens if I click on thi

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Connection Conundrum
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 07:35 AM »
Have you tried re-typing the site-address and credentials? I often see these issues resolved because of a typo in either one of those.

pilgrim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Cogito ergo ?
    • View Profile
    • Pilgrim's Page
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 08:38 AM »
I tried that a couple of times before renewing the entire connection.
I know the credentials are right because they are working in XP Mode.
I spent 25 years training to be an eccentric then I woke up one morning and realised that I'd cracked it.

Mark0

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mark's home
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 05:49 PM »
If you still have the problem you may check if, for some some reasons, the "Routing and Remote Access" service isn't running.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 08:52 PM »
ERROR_VPN_DISCONNECT 807
The network connection between your computer and the VPN server was interrupted. This can be caused by a problem in the VPN transmission and is commonly the result of internet latency or simply that your VPN server has reached capacity.
List of Error Codes that you may receive when you try to make a dial-up connection or a VPN connection in Windows 7

It sounds like something on Win7 is interfering with TCP traffic on port 1723, (or the GRE 47 packets), to that specific IP address - that would usually point to the firewall being the culprit.

From a CLI in both Windows 7 and XP:

tracert <vpn that's failing>

And paste the results, munge your IP if it shows up, (first couple of lines), and you're paranoid.

What AV are you using, some won't stop interfering even when disabled.

Even though it works OK from XP Mode on the same computer, if your router has a DMZ put the computers IP into it and try to connect to the VPN again from Windows 7, or if you have a separate modem, plug the computer directly into it and try.  Bypasses any strange firewall rules in the router.

In Computer Management->Event Viewer->Windows Logs->Applications there'll be the results of rasdial commands, a successful connection looks like:

2013-05-27 11_20_23-Server Manager.png

What do you get if it's not the same, (and the actual event data not a picture, thanks) ?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 11:49 PM by 4wd »

pilgrim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Cogito ergo ?
    • View Profile
    • Pilgrim's Page
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 03:37 AM »
Thanks for the replies, I'll try the suggestions later and let you know.

Mark0,

The R&RA service is disabled and I'll try with it enabled later, but that doesn't explain why all my other PPTP/L2TP VPN's connect without issue.

4wd,

The VPN ports are open for all traffic in both the firewalls and the router, I have even tried a second router and it was doing the same thing.
My usual router does not require rules for VPN's, in the other one the rules were set up manually when I started using the provider whose server I am having trouble with.
As I said in the original post I have tried shutting down both firewalls and the AV (Avira) without any change, I have the same AV on all my computers and they have identical settings apart from file paths to various exclusions, (only one 'Program Files' in XP).
I'll get back to you on tracert.

and you're paranoid

Thanks, I like you too!  :huh:

(What's the difference between a 'noid' and a 'paranoid'?
The second implies there's two of them.)

pilgrim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Cogito ergo ?
    • View Profile
    • Pilgrim's Page
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 07:43 AM »
OK, a partial report:

I tried enabling the R&RA service nothing changed.

Tried tracert (7):

1 General Failure.

Checked Event Viewer and it showed the following for one failed connection:

CoId={AE3F56B9-E6A4-4FCF-BB7B-1DBE6D654A5E}: The user PILGRIMS-PC\Pilgrim is trying to establish a link to the Remote Access Server for the connection named VPN - NL using the following device:
Server address/Phone Number = 'IP Adress'
Device = WAN Miniport (PPTP)
Port = VPN3-1
MediaType = VPN.

For another failed connection it showed:

CoId={63B5372A-8D8F-4644-925E-8E40E890A72B}: The user PILGRIMS-PC\Pilgrim has started dialing a VPN connection using a all-user connection profile named VPN - NL. The connection settings are:
Dial-in User = 'username'
VpnStrategy = PPTP
DataEncryption = Require
PrerequisiteEntry =
AutoLogon = No
UseRasCredentials = Yes
Authentication Type = CHAP/MS-CHAPv2
Ipv4DefaultGateway = Yes
Ipv4AddressAssignment = By Server
Ipv4DNSServerAssignment = By Server
Ipv6DefaultGateway = Yes
Ipv6AddressAssignment = By Server
Ipv6DNSServerAssignment = By Server
IpDnsFlags =
IpNBTEnabled = Yes
UseFlags = Private Connection
ConnectOnWinlogon = No.

Both of the above showed error type = Information.

When it showed an Error it was:

CoId={8E0F690F-7BF5-4925-99D4-05E12EC4C3B5}: The user PILGRIMS-PC\Pilgrim dialed a connection named VPN - NL which has failed. The error code returned on failure is 807.

Unless this tells you anything I'll try again.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 08:03 PM »
Did you try the hints and tips from this link (answers.microsoft.com)?

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 07:31 AM »
You could try this. While it was written to address a Samba file sharing problem, the "fix" itself deals with network security settings which are the likely culprits in your case.

Note: if you do make these changes - and only one VPN of the many you use needs it - I'd suggest switching the settings back afterwards and forgetting about that VPN. Reason being these changes reduce your overall network security globally - and that's an unacceptable price to pay for access to just one recalcitrant resource. At least AFAIC.

(You can also download the above article as a PDF. Link here)

Luck! :Thmbsup: