topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 5:46 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Trying to find icon location.  (Read 4581 times)

pilgrim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Cogito ergo ?
    • View Profile
    • Pilgrim's Page
    • Donate to Member
Trying to find icon location.
« on: May 11, 2013, 07:02 AM »
I have just created a new shortcut for a batch file that runs my main internet connection and put it in Quick Launch.
I would like to change the icon to match my other network shortcuts but I can't find the icon which is this:

1.png

In the Network Connections window (Windows 7) the same icon is used for all the network adaptors but I cannot find which DLL or EXE contains it.
Does anybody know?
I spent 25 years training to be an eccentric then I woke up one morning and realised that I'd cracked it.
I've not had to try since.

I wonder what happens if I click on thi

kunkel321

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Trying to find icon location.
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 09:04 AM »
If it's in a DLL, notice that http://www.nirsoft.n.../utils/iconsext.html retains the name of the DLL (and gives it to the icons).

But if it's a shortcut you created, can you just right-click it, >Properties >Customize?

EDIT:  Sorry I just reread and saw that it's a Windows 7 system thing, so right-clicking might not work.  YOu still could bulk extract all the icons from your system dlls (it would take all day), then find the icon and thus the name of the dll.  (maybe....   I'm not a programer)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 09:12 AM by kunkel321 »

pilgrim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Cogito ergo ?
    • View Profile
    • Pilgrim's Page
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 09:38 AM »
Thanks for the reply but I have Icons Extract and a list of the most common icon containing DLL's and EXE's, unfortunately it wasn't in any of them.

I wasn't certain when I originally posted but I have had this problem before, if I open properties for one of the shortcuts I created directly from Network Connections while the shortcut itself shows the icon in my first post the properties window is showing this icon:

2.png

Somehow between the properties window and the task bar it gets changed.

If all else fails I suppose I could make an identical icon but that would be a pain as for one thing I would need to make sure that the actual image was the same size as in the existing icons.

The original has got to be in the OS somewhere, I just don't know where.

EDIT: The icon in question appears to be netcenter_28 which in Icons Extract looks identical to my first image, unfortunately if you add it to a shortcut it comes out looking like this:

3.png

Which appears to be the lower part of my second image.

Whatever is going on with these icons?
I spent 25 years training to be an eccentric then I woke up one morning and realised that I'd cracked it.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 10:08 AM by pilgrim »

kunkel321

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 11:13 AM »
Not sure why it's giving different images...
Have you tried a global search for "netcenter*" though?  Presumably there is a netcenter.dll or netcenter.exe someplace in the system folder... 

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 03:36 AM »
It appears in C:\Windows\SysWOW64 in netcenter.dll and netshell.dll but when you go to view it in iconsext it changes.

eg.

2013-05-12 18_29_23-Select a file for icons extraction.png

2013-05-12 18_29_43-IconsExtract_   C__Windows_SysWOW64_netcenter.dll.png

Ah, it's a multi-image icon, just extract it and step through the various images within it.

pilgrim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Cogito ergo ?
    • View Profile
    • Pilgrim's Page
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 04:41 AM »
I found it in System32\netcentre.dll by looking in all DLL's in that folder starting with 'net'.

Ah, it's a multi-image icon, just extract it and step through the various images within it.

When I came up against this before I remember someone saying it was a composite image.
I use extraction on various files almost every day but I never even thought of it in this case.
Having extracted it I cannot see how that helps me copy that particular icon?

It took me an hour, three different programs and a visit to an online image editor to finish up with this:

Network Icon.gif