topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:38 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Check condition (ie drive available)/execute (ie truecrypt) before launch  (Read 4959 times)

poyan

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • DentalTrauma.info
    • Donate to Member
Hi,
I use truecrypt for some important data, and I like to open it only if it is needed.
Thus if I run programs which need the truecrypt-"drive" open I get some error messages, have to close these message boxes, call truecrypt, and restart the  program.
Same with some file manager programs which show error messages if drive not available.
Same with browsers if connection to inet not available.

All that could of course be done with batch files, scripting programs,
but I could imagine that many users are not familiar with the pertinent batch commands,
and a simple functionality to check availability of drive/program started/Inet connection and to react ยด(start of program before launching the final program) could increase the value of LBC...

Sure, the risk is that this might encourage much more complicated demands. Like start of some programs at the same time and a defined positioning on the screen...

Just an idea; I myself use some scripts, but that means at least additional files...

Kind regrads
Yango

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Interesting idea, but it is a little hard to see how to make a nice generalized solution.. It's advanced enough that using scripts like you are doing may be the only good solution..

xbible_yosef

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • xbible blog
    • Donate to Member
hello sir,

I've started using Launchbar today and I'm quite pleased with it.

My project sits in a Truecrypt volume.   I've set up a script to quit all applications and then unmount Truecrypt.

It works great, apart from the unmounting process sits inside drive X: therefore needs tweaking to all it to completely close.

what are you trying to do exactly?
regards

Yosef
Chief Administrator
The XBIBLE project
Providing the Christian scriptures to hard to reach nations
@xbible - xbible.wordpress.com

xbible_yosef

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • xbible blog
    • Donate to Member
ok, try some of this

when you exit my product, it closes various apps that are running on the X: (Truecrypted volume) before it can be dismounted

taskkill /im vlc.exe

taskkill /im Chrome.exe

taskkill /im BPBible.exe

taskkill /im theword.exe

taskkill /im ArthaPortable.exe /f

taskkill /im PidginPortable.exe /f

taskkill /im foxitreaderportable.exe

taskkill /im tor.exe

taskkill /im vipad.exe

taskkill /im tbb-firefox.exe

taskkill /im quiterss.exe

taskkill /im launchbarcommander.exe /f

echo taskkill /im ultrasurf.exe /f

x:\apps\truecrypt\truecrypt /dismount /w /quit

taskkill is just a command in Windows to shut down apps, on some occasions you need to use the /f at the end, but this "rudely" shuts down some apps, which could possibly get the app upset when it runs again.

Yosef

regards

Yosef
Chief Administrator
The XBIBLE project
Providing the Christian scriptures to hard to reach nations
@xbible - xbible.wordpress.com

poyan

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • DentalTrauma.info
    • Donate to Member
Hi, mouser,

LBC would have to check if the program file which is to be launched / or the file which shall be opened is accessible and whether the drive is available.
And then offer a user defineable reaction.

If drive is available: file must be moved/deleted > user defined message and/or command: search in alternative path (a backup?) or launch specified program (like search), passing the filename as search parameter;
if drive is not available: submit user-defined message and/or launch user-defined command: launch truecrypt + arguments or attach external drive; meanwhile LBC waits for the availability of that drive... for a certain time...