topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 9:37 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: LaunchBar Commander "stealing" focus when "stay on top" enabled  (Read 7349 times)

jpprater

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Looks like this problem has been around for a while, based on previous forum posts, and it's still around in the latest version.  Turning off "Keep LaunchBars On Top" seems to fix it.  Is that the only solution, or is there something else that can be done?

dvally

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: LaunchBar Commander "stealing" focus when "stay on top" enabled
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 01:47 PM »
 :Thmbsup: Dang it!

Thanks for that tip jpprater! I did not realize that setting that switch would help with the issue...

For now, that helps me out! It is mildly frustrating when I am trying to right click on items and choose what I need from the context menu to have to keep trying it until I can actually keep the menu open long enough to get the item I want. I really like the application though, and I was continuing to use it even with the minor frustrations.

Thanks again for posting that tip!

dvally

jpprater

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 09:00 AM »
You're welcome!  8)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 11:24 AM »
Thanks for stepping in while i have been remiss in responding to posts jpprater  :Thmbsup:

I've fixed similar problems recently in my other docking bar apps, so i should be able to fix it now in LBC -- can someone remind me though a concrete example of what LBC does and how to nudge it into doing this bad thing, so i can more easily test it?

jpprater

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 01:42 PM »
Sorry about the delayed response.  :-[
The bug:  When LBC is running, it steals focus from other open windows.  This only seems to happen when an LBC dock is set to "Always on Top" mode.
How to reproduce:
  • Create a dock in LBC.
  • Right-click and select "Configure Preferences and Options"
  • Go to Options
  • Enable the option to keep launchbars on top
  • Click the X in the top right.  The bar will reload.
  • Switch to another window
  • LBC will steal the focus from the active window, whatever that window is, within 5-10 seconds

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 08:47 AM »
thank you so much for the steps jp, unfortunately, following those instructions does *not* reproduce the problem here.
maybe it's some  other combination of settings or some other mystery??

I so badly want to fix this but i cannot for the life of me get this problem to occur -- trying on windows xp, windows 7, with microsoft office apps (excel).

I need help figuring out a way to reproduce this and get it to happen.

Maybe it's some other combination of settings..

Can you download the latest debug version of LBC:
https://www.donation...ommanderPortable.zip

And confirm that the problem still happens, and see if you can't experiment a little more and help me identify how to reproduce this.  Maybe try this portable version with a brand new settings and make the minimal changes, and let me know exactly how to reproduce.  if the problem occurs even with notpad, let me know -- or does it only happen with ms word?

does it happen right from program start, or only after triggering some buttons.. what operating system?

anything to give me a clue about what combination of settings causes this, but mainly -- enough information to be able to reproduce it here.  if i can reproduce it i can fix it.

RichTWebGuy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 11:46 AM »
The suggestion to turn off 'launchbar on top' was a life saver.  I was going insane.  Of course, first I had to figure out what was stealing focus.  Stopping things running in tray until problem went away.

LBC must steal focus and immediately return it.  I noticed most during alt-tab or typing in some modal dialog.