topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 4:50 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Help Wanted: Develop A Beautiful Desktop RSS Reader  (Read 5441 times)

Epicmaster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Help Wanted: Develop A Beautiful Desktop RSS Reader
« on: March 14, 2013, 01:36 PM »
Hey guys,

So some of you may have heard of the recent news that Google Reader is being killed off.
Right now their are nice alternatives on the web that do their own thing, but none have the simple RSS reader features i'm looking for.

web apps like feedly, prismatic and pulse are great but Google reader was great because of its simplicity in offering nothing more then
the ability to add rss feeds easily and read news in a simple way.

I've long been looking for a simple, slick and beautiful desktop application that would act as a great RSS news reader.
Now that Google Reader is dead I think there may be more of a demand thanks to the void Google has left.

I want to participate in designing such an app with a programmer as a partner. I can design beautiful interfaces, develop nice interaction models etc. but
I don't have the time nor the skill to do the coding and back-end. I have experience in designing applications, exept I code in Java, which I doubt many of you
know desktop Java development. Anyhow if you need proof i've been posting my progress on this thread: https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=26652.0
and on the site that features the open source application i'm working on: auroragamehub.com

Anyways, I obsess over great design, but I don't have time to work on the backend, which is why I need help your help
I need someone who knows how to make a great application but needs a designers help. If anyone becomes interested I can work on some mock ups and ideas and post them here.

I want a partner who is passionate at making something cool, something beautiful, something simple and useful.

If you are a Creative Developer, want to learn or, out of need, would like to make such an RSS reader please let me know!
I for one am super willing and committed :)

hpearce

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Help Wanted: Develop A Beautiful Desktop RSS Reader
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 03:49 PM »
try one of these recommendations http://www.ghacks.ne...r-alternatives-list/
Windows 7 SP1 (TM) Home Premium 64-bit .. Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26 GHz / 2.27 GHz .. 4GB RAM .. NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTS .. Gateway P-7805u FX

Epicmaster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 04:34 PM »
When I said a beautiful and simple desktop RSS reader I really meant it.

Those application are ugly, cluttered and not intuitive in any way. Windows applications typically suck, I want to really craft something beautiful for windows.

If I were to use something as inspiration I would definitely take a look at the Mac leader in RSS news reader: http://reederapp.com/mac/screens

siouxdax

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Lather. Rinse. Repeat.
    • View Profile
    • Non-Event: The Daniel Headrick Saga
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 01:12 PM »
OP here. Just wanted everyone to know my problem has been solved by a very kind and generous person. It's a reminder that the world isn't always such a sh*tty place. :)
Kind Regards,
Daniel in Tulsa
AKA siouxdax

Visit my tumblog!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 04:08 PM »
It's a reminder that the world isn't always such a sh*tty place. :)

Assuming that's the way you tend to see the world and, therefor, are in need of such a reminder. :)

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 09:38 AM »
Although I do not like to associate (any kind of) religion with my person, I do have to admit that Kabbalah has one thing right. 80% of all the problems you encounter in life are your own fault.

Not wanting to sound too much as a self-help guru, but fixing your own flaws either dissolve these problems or make them much more manageable. Besides, if you cannot take a look in a mirror and have a good laugh about that meets you...you are taking things way too seriously.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 02:17 PM »
Although I do not like to associate (any kind of) religion with my person, I do have to admit that Kabbalah has one thing right. 80% of all the problems you encounter in life are your own fault.

Not wanting to sound too much as a self-help guru, but fixing your own flaws either dissolve these problems or make them much more manageable. Besides, if you cannot take a look in a mirror and have a good laugh about that meets you...you are taking things way too seriously.

Agree.

Here are two old Zen stories that illustrate it beautifully:

Muddy Road

Tanzan and Ekido were once travelling together down a muddy road. A heavy rain was still falling.

Coming around a bend, they met a lovely girl in a silk kimono and sash, unable to cross the intersection.

"Come on, girl," said Tanzan at once. Lifting her in his arms, he carried her over the mud.

Ekido did not speak again until that night when they reached a lodging temple. Then he no longer could restrain himself.
"We monks don't go near females," he told Tanzan, "especially not young and lovely ones. It is dangerous. Why did you do that?"

"I left the girl back there," said Tanzan. "Why are you still carrying her?"

The Gates of Paradise

A soldier named Nobushige came to Hakuin, and asked: "Is there really a paradise and a hell?"

"Who are you?" inquired Hakuin.

"I am a samurai," the warrior replied.

"You, a soldier!" exclaimed Hakuin. "What kind of ruler would have you as his guard? Your face looks like that of a beggar."

Nobushige became so angry that he began to draw his sword, but Hakuin continued: "So you have a sword! Your weapon is probably much too dull to cut off my head."

As Nobushige drew his sword Hakuin remarked: "Here open the gates of hell!"

At these words the samurai, perceiving the master's discipline, sheathed his sword and bowed.

"Here open the gates of paradise," said Hakuin.

zen.jpg

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 02:32 PM »
I think that siouxdax posted in the wrong thread... then the whole thread went off on a very different tangent LOL

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 02:40 PM »
lol yeah, I was thinking the same when siouxdax said "OP Here", when they clearly are not OP, and if they was...why do they have one supporter account, and one participant account...didn't make sense to me :P