topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:05 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Google Reader gone  (Read 103377 times)

eleman

• Spam Killer
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Google Reader gone
« on: March 14, 2013, 08:23 AM »
Google Reader's gone the way of dodo.

Google willfully axed functionality (sharing etc.) from Reader to boost google+, a product no one demanded, and now it's axing Reader completely on the grounds of falling usage.

Way to go Google. You really inspire confidence in all your users.

Any desktop RSS aggregator recommendations? I certainly will not invest time and effort in another cloud junk. Experience, after all, is learning a lot of things you shouldn't do again.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Google Reader gone
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 09:12 AM »
RSSOwl.

Daleus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 10:21 AM »
Yeah, I just started using GReader a month ago and was really loving it.  So, you can blame me for it's sudden demise. ;)

In order to repent, I have been scanning feeds all morning looking for a replacement myself.  I have no links to reviews or recommendations - yer all old enough to do that yerselves - but here is a list of names that have been suggested in feeds that span SlashDot, Reddit, Ars Technica, ReadWriteWeb and a slew of indie blogs:

Readers

RSS Bandit
RSS Owl
FeedDemon
GreatNews
Omea Reader
Awasu
SharpReader
RSS Central
Netvibes
NewsBlur
Feedly/Normandy
Taptu
Pulse
Flipboard
Google Currents
TheOldReader.com
FeedaFever.com
BlogLines.com
Akregator
Liferea
bazqux.com
bloglines
1kpl.us

And the usual disclaimer - I h'ain't backin' nuttin' 'til I sez I iz backin' sumpthin'.

Good hunting to you!
Daleus, Curmudgeon-at-Large

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 11:39 AM »
There's already discussion about the subject here - perhaps mouser could splice the posts from there to here, since this is probably a better place to have the conversation? :)
- carpe noctem

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 12:52 PM »
I think I'm going with http://tt-rss.org/re...projects/tt-rss/wiki or http://www.feedafever.com/

Both are self hosted.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 12:55 PM »
I have installed TTRSS a while ago, just to see how it goes. While the interface is a bit weird, it totally lacks some sane Android app. The paid one is not available for people without a credit card, the free one does not find my installation correctly. edit: If someone wants to test it, click here. I will migrate the server to FreeBSD some time next month though, so a short downtime is expected.

Concerning Fever: Looks nice but the dev hates non-Mac users, obviously.

eleman

• Spam Killer
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 12:57 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions. After some consideration I decided to go with bamboo, a firefox add-on. I will not use another cloud service if I can help it, and separate desktop applications did not look very handy, as I usually jump to a site after seeing a headline on the RSS feed aggregator. So a firefox add-on seems like the best solution.

Yes, I'm aware of the advantages of cloud solutions. For example if I don't run firefox for a week or two (i.e. vacation in the mountains) I'll miss some feeds. And I won't be able to check feeds from another computer/phone etc. But I'll have to live with the former, and I don't do the latter anyway.

flamerz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 01:27 PM »
feeddemon is gone too :(

http://nick.typepad.com/blog/

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 03:54 PM »
OMG!  I moved to Google Reader a while ago after BlogLines announced it was going belly up.  Then, after I'd switched, apparently BlogLines revived, but I liked Google Reader better.  Sigh.  The only thing I know is that I do not want any RSS reader or other software that depends on Google's support.  It's bad enough that I have Gmail.  :(   

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 04:17 PM »
Another self hosted one for consideration from ghacks is Selfoss, an open source solution with the source on github.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 04:19 PM »
Ugly interface IMO. Also there's no Android app.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 04:26 PM »
I really don't want a dedicated app, truthfully- the smartphone view is good enough.  And I like the interface :)

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 04:27 PM »
I don't really like web interfaces. They're slow.

eleman

• Spam Killer
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 04:28 PM »
Most android/iphone apps are a web interface disguised with a dedicated shortcut, you know...

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2013, 04:30 PM »
Yeah, and more "killing services" instead of spinning them off to any other humble little company that wants them. That's my current beef with "I.P."

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2013, 04:30 PM »
My currently preferred Android app NewsRob is not. It might have a problem when Google Reader dies though.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2013, 04:31 PM »
Most android/iphone apps are a web interface disguised with a dedicated shortcut, you know...

I've seen some of this in the audiobook market.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2013, 05:02 PM »
- carpe noctem

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2013, 05:31 PM »
I remember using Vine feed reader but it is not active anymore. So I switched to G reader and now this is going too.

Rover

• Master of Smilies
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2013, 05:45 PM »
This is not the first time Google has fubar'd stuff.

Sidebar in igoogle, obnoxious new look in gmail, obnoxious skin of Reader,  they irritate me muchly.

OwnCloud has finally gotten to a useful state, I'm going to install that this weekend.  :)

Then google can suck it.  :P
Insert Brilliant Sig line here

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2013, 05:48 PM »
ownCloud is a bit too large for just replacing the Google Reader. ownCloud 5 is not ready yet, even the Android app does not support the RSS part very well yet AFAIK.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2013, 08:18 PM »
Yet another choice: Omea

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
"Google Reader Gone" or "Is RSS being killed"?
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2013, 01:27 AM »
I think this thread could be an appropriate place to post this:
Maybe it's not so much a case of "Google Reader Gone" as "Is RSS being killed"?
Will the death of Google Reader also be the death of RSS?

For a long time I have wondered about RSS and its use to Google. I mean, Google had this great information-gathering tool called GR (Google Reader), and you could all sorts of add-ons or scripts to it. The net result was something that:
  • Really suited information junkies like me who detested advertising - you get all the information and there was an absence of adverts;
  • RSS feeds were used as a standard delivery link (and GR later had a nifty way of faking an RSS feed if a website didn't have a formal RSS feed);
  • Enabled you to check/read information snippets of what was put up on a website, but without actually visiting the proprietary source website (e.g., it could even be behind a paywall) that hosted that information.
  • Gave you full control: only if you read something in the snippet that caught your interest would you click on the link to the website to read some more.

And it could all be done advertising-free. Perfect.    :Thmbsup:

Google even developed and published a bookmarklet that let you "subscribe" to a page you had landed on, so that it went into the GR subscription list.
Then Google seemed to drop support of that bookmarklet some time back, without any real explanation as to a solid business rationale for doing so.
Then Google seemed to drop support of the RSS-faking, without any real explanation as to a solid business rationale for doing so.

Now Google is killing GR altogether. Why? Ostensibly:
In the Googland blog, in the post [G] Powering Down Google Reader, it says:
There are two simple reasons for this: usage of Google Reader has declined, and as a company we’re pouring all of our energy into fewer products.
There is some irony in this, because it is quite possible that, by virtue of their own Cavalier attitude to users needs, Google have encouraged users to reduce the use/reliance on their products/services, thereby negatively affecting user demand. For example, I have for about a year had serious misgivings about Google's direction, and have been limiting my use of Google products/services - holding back, waiting to see what the next product/service will be that Google will decide to unilaterally kill off without a by-your-leave.
So, Google kills off another product (GR), and again without any real explanation as to a solid business rationale for doing so. (It would not be correct to call the above quote a solid business rationale for killing off GR - it is an unsubstantiated statement).

Google's revenues are inextricably intertwined with advertising. The Google founders essentially invented and implemented or progressively acquired (by purchase) novel web-technological approaches to providing aggregated demographic services to advertisers - services that generated a major income stream for Google.
And that's why I had for a long time wondered about RSS and its use to Google.
You see, if you read web pages via a feed aggregator such as GR, then aren't you effectively statistically excluded from the count of the number of people viewing the web pages? This could be having an adverse effect on advertising statistics and pay-per-click revenues.

I rarely log in to either LinkedIn or Facebook - they are both potential time-bandits - and avoid using either, if I can help it. I also filter and send to Trash all emailed Notifications from LinkedIn or Facebook. There are just too many to read. If I get time, I will scan those items in Trash - usually the LinkedIn ones as they have a work-related and thus higher priority in my mind - before deleting them permanently.
I already get RSS feeds from the LinkedIn Blog and Facebook Notifications, but I read recently that Facebook will block ("not support") RSS feeds of Notifications for much longer. Now we probably know why.

paulobrabo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • The Brazilian Bomber
    • View Profile
    • Brabo Illustration
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2013, 04:48 AM »
That's my take too. Another related article:

It’s Not Just Reader – Google Kills Its RSS Subscription Browser Extension, Too

But now the extension is gone, and the message is clear: Google is getting out of the RSS business. It’s more than Google just shutting down a product that never gained mainstream traction and moving resources elsewhere – it’s about distancing itself from the RSS community as a whole.

It’s interesting that the extension has been removed ahead of the end date for Google Reader, since up until that time, Reader’s core audience will likely still be subscribing to new feeds. And it’s worth noting that the extension also supported other blog-reading services besides Google’s.

English will never be my first language, it doesn't meter how hard I try.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 05:19 AM by paulobrabo »

paulobrabo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • The Brazilian Bomber
    • View Profile
    • Brabo Illustration
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2013, 05:16 AM »
Two more:

Google, destroyer of ecosystems

The truth is this: Google destroyed the RSS feed reader ecosystem with a subsidized product, stifling its competitors and killing innovation. It then neglected Google Reader itself for years, after it had effectively become the only player. Today it does further damage by buggering up the already beleaguered links between publishers and readers. It would have been better for the Internet if Reader had never been at all.

How the Shutdown of Google Reader Threatens the Internet

As one example, many people now rely on social media as a primary news source.  In many cases–especially with “bi-directional” services like Facebook ($FB) or LinkedIn ($LKND) where people only connect with “friends”–social media only surfaces content from people who are likely to share common viewpoints.  Plus, those posts are culled by mysterious algorithms (such as the algorithm controlling Facebook’s newsfeed) that further reduce exposure to diverse viewpoints.

How long before feedburner goes down the drain? Or even blogger and blogspot?

Blogger may survive a few more years, but at the very least it will stop serving RSS.

English will never be my first language, it doesn't meter how hard I try.