topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:02 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: GridMove at github  (Read 22433 times)

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
GridMove at github
« on: February 22, 2013, 04:10 AM »
Hi guys,

As you probably have already noticed, I haven't had the time to update GridMove as frequently as I should.
So, I've decided to make the fact that GridMove is open-source more explicit. Even though the source has been available at GridMove's site for a while, it wasn't very easy to fork, so I have created a GitHub project for it.
Not only does this simplify integrating any changes other people propose, but also makes it easier for me to update the code.

Please keep in mind that (unfortunately) this will probably not reflect in more frequent updates for the compiled version available on the site, since it's really hard for me to test code or create new packaged versions (mostly due to the fact that since 2 years ago I've moved completely to mac).

So, I leave you with a link to the repository: https://github.com/jgpaiva/GridMove

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: GridMove at github
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 03:56 PM »
Nice  :up:

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 05:06 PM »
Cool beans!

Now all that's left is to add a github link to the dcmembers page :)
- carpe noctem

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 05:46 PM »
Done! :) http://jgpaiva.dcmem...rs.com/gridmove.html

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 06:06 PM »
Done! :) http://jgpaiva.dcmem...rs.com/gridmove.html
Nifty - but to be the eternal nitpicker I am, perhaps you should include the word github? "Source repository @ GitHub" or something like that? (Dunno about other people, but that would hit three of the keywords I look for wrt. source code :)).
- carpe noctem

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 06:31 PM »
Source repository @ GitHub
Good idea, done. Thanks!

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 03:07 AM »
I am not a license expert, but it is my understanding that CC licenses are generally aimed more at "works of art" like text, music, images, etc., and not software. You might want to consider picking a software license instead.

http://wiki.creative...ense_for_software.3F

Can I apply a Creative Commons license to software?

We do not recommend it. Creative Commons licenses should not be used for software. We strongly encourage you to use one of the very good software licenses which are already available. We recommend considering licenses made available by the Free Software Foundation or listed at the Open Source Initiative. Unlike our licenses, which do not make mention of source or object code, these existing licenses were designed specifically for use with software. Furthermore, our licenses are not compatible with the GPL, the most frequently used free software license.

On a personal note I would probably not choose GPL, but that has been discussed extensively on these forums already :-[.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 05:26 AM »
I am not a license expert, but it is my understanding that CC licenses are generally aimed more at "works of art" like text, music, images, etc., and not software. You might want to consider picking a software license instead.
(..)
On a personal note I would probably not choose GPL, but that has been discussed extensively on these forums already :-[.
I understand that. I've looked at it for a bit, but couldn't find anything that compares to the CC license I'm "using" now and just gave up. Also, like you, I'm not a big fan of GPL, and it looks like it's sort of the standard these days.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 06:57 AM »
Also, like you, I'm not a big fan of GPL, and it looks like it's sort of the standard these days.
It's been so for ages, and that's probably the reason so many people GPL-license their things - not because they've made a conscious choice and understand the various licenses, but because GPL is the default fallback... for good and for worse.

I wonder if the FSF would answer a license-question email along the lines of "ohaithar, you haz real software license comparable to CC-BY-NC-SA, canhazpzlkthx?" :-)
- carpe noctem

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 03:34 AM »
I understand that. I've looked at it for a bit, but couldn't find anything that compares to the CC license I'm "using" now and just gave up. Also, like you, I'm not a big fan of GPL, and it looks like it's sort of the standard these days.

Yes, I had much the same problem when I was changing some projects from commercial to free or open source. As I understand it, having a non-commercial requirement means it is not strictly speaking open source, at least by the OSI's definition.

I ended up using the more permissive open source licenses for most stuff, because I figured I wasn't going to make any money from it anyway, so it might as well be as easy for others to use as possible.

But if I were to release something as open source, while still retaining the ability to sell it, I would probably consider the GPL. Even though I object to the way it makes it hard for people to use the code in free (but not GPL) software, the GPL has, in a way, ended up being the most commercial of the open source licenses; if you want to make money selling your open source project, dual-license it under the GPL to get all the benefits of open source, while making it near impossible for companies to use it without buying a separate license from you.

Btw, I think it's great you have released the source and put it on GitHub, so please do not take my comments as being negative, I just find this licensing stuff interesting in a kind of masochistic manner ;D.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 08:13 AM »
I wonder if the FSF would answer a license-question email along the lines of "ohaithar, you haz real software license comparable to CC-BY-NC-SA, canhazpzlkthx?" :-)
I asked google instead, and got here. I think one of the commenters says what I believe to be correct (and in line with what I found the last time I dwelved into this):
A license can't restrict use. If you look at all the exclusive rights in 17 USC 106 you'll see that none of them have anything to do with use. This is why licenses (like the GPL) restrict distribution and modification, not use. – David Schwartz Sep 25 '11 at 21:13

So, I guess I'll have to update the license.
Btw, I think it's great you have released the source and put it on GitHub, so please do not take my comments as being negative, I just find this licensing stuff interesting in a kind of masochistic manner ;D.
I don't, and I thank you for your help! To be honest, I only have 3 objectives:
  • protect the code from being copied to create another exact clone
  • allow others to use my code on their own projects (even though it's a total mess and probably not that useful :P)
  • not allow usage in a commercial environment.
From what I understand, the hard part is the last one, since the source code does not have an EULA.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 12:46 PM »
I went through this a little bit ago, and from my research, I'd say just write it, using another license as a base- or just use the CC-BY-NC-SA that you're using as they just recommend that you don't use it, mostly because of the terminology, which really only comes into effect if you plan on enforcing it through legal means. 

The only way the license really means anything is if it is enforced, and the only way that happens if you're not going to do it is by using a license that the FSF (I hate that appropriation of the word free... but that's a bigger issue) supports, so that they can go after the offender.

A couple of references that I found before:
http://programmers.s...age-like-cc-by-nc-sa

http://stackoverflow...r-software-on-github

http://www.quora.com...ive-Commons-BY-NC-SA