topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:21 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Script to autoload xml profiles  (Read 4704 times)

questorfla

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Fighting Slime all the Time
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Script to autoload xml profiles
« on: February 20, 2013, 07:46 PM »
This probably is as simple as reconfiguring the standard code used by MS for the same thing but .. I hope maybe someone has already done it. 
You can easily export a Wi-Fi  profile to a USB including all necessary parts to import in new laptop so that Wi-Fi  profiles are preloaded.  But as far as I can tell, I  have to run it one for each profile.  Which is OK to create them. 
But to load them, I need to be able to do a one click, you're done for two profiles where I work.
Every time someone new comes in, I have to add both profiles. I had been doing them manually  until i found not necessary now.  Still, there are times when the MS way isn’t  good enough for the people I have to deal with.  Most can only handle a CLICK at best.  If they are out of town when they get a new system, I have to preload the profiles by remote.
It would be very nice if I could sent them a preloaded script to just "click" that had both profiles in it.  Additionally, this would let me change ALL the passwords for both profiles and simply send out an email with an "automatic profile loader" script.
Last part is maybe hardest.  Need to covert to exe once done so that they users cannot edit or even read what MS felt they needed to put in plaintext, the Wi-Fi  passwords  (???? why???)

Better yet, if the script could delete itself after it runs then I won't  have to worry about anyone I don't  know popping in on the Wi-Fi.

Any suggestions appreciated.  Getting the XML's is easy and I have found a number of other Free soft wares that do a lot more but this is the only single part of my life that is pure misery as I get chewed out for being "security proactive" if the people I send the XML's to (With instructions) still can't   load them.

Thanks

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Script to autoload xml profiles
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 04:55 PM »
I'm not familiar with what you're doing -- what is the exact process you're using now to load these XML files?

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 06:01 PM »
Argh!  Added to other thread before I saw this one  :-[

Anyway, a simple DOS batch/command file with the following commands, (users may need Admin permission to add networks), should do it:

Code: Text [Select]
  1. netsh wlan add profile filename=profile1.xml
  2. netsh wlan add profile filename=profile2.xml

Use netsh wlan add profile help to see what extra parameters you might need, depending on whether you want the profile to apply to all users/interfaces or not.

netsh wlan help will give you all the available commands to do with Wireless LANs.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 06:07 PM by 4wd »

questorfla

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Fighting Slime all the Time
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 01:44 PM »
Sorry, just saw your reply.
 :)
My job here takes me from editing html on their websites to programming the database on the PPH file server, to editing photos in CS4, to writing scripts to fix things that probably don't need fixing.

When this issue popped up, it was just in sheer desperation since they now want to change the Wi-Fi passwords on different Access points on a regular basis (not a bad idea, security wise considering employee turnover) and in some cases having to do it remotely ( Yes, this  is on the off chance that one of the out-of-Towner's shows up and cannot get into the Wi-Fi)  But if I can do it once on one system, export all four Wi-Fi profiles to XMLS files combine them with a loader in a batch file and load them all with one click .. THAT would save a lot of time.  
I never could figure out why MS wrote that export setup the way they did and then tried to hide the fact it was there at all (tiny blue text easy to miss).  When I found out it took 1 flash-drive per XML...

I should have know the "old ways"  would be the answer.  I never even considered it.   Now I can email out the weekly update as a zipped script to all the users.  
(They don't have a "real" network. Just a workgroup with 3 or 4 servers in it. I cant enforce domain controls on anyone)

Many thanks
Sorry for the double post, I found you there to get here.  Plan on giving it a try tonight.  Wonder if it still performs the same on Windows 8.

PS:  I did find another way but it was Extreme to say the least.  I found a utility made for Servers to deploy over a network that I had to reconfigure to work standalone.  I did it one time, it worked, but  would never want to have to do it weekly due to a changed password.  I believe it was using the MS CMAK tool.  It even lets me pre-map the network drive connections (needed if doing it to a new system)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 01:47 PM by questorfla, Reason: typos »