topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:14 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Screenshot Captor 3.28 aka 4.0RC Beta Test - Mar 17, 2013 - Feedback Wanted  (Read 141388 times)

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Screenshot Captor 3.27 Beta Test - Mar 13, 2013 - Feedback Wanted
« Reply #225 on: March 14, 2013, 04:12 AM »
Cool, yes the S does the pop-up.

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Screenshot Captor 3.27 Beta Test - Mar 13, 2013 - Feedback Wanted
« Reply #226 on: March 14, 2013, 09:54 AM »
I'm not able to download and test the latest beta right now but thought I'd mention something I noticed with the "web cam" test yesterday.
When I did a capture with it it used the information I currently had in the quick field. "Test %num%" (no quotes.)
But instead of picking up with the number sequence from the previous screen captures, it started at 001. Causing a duplication of what was already there.
You may have already noticed and fixed. I'll try and load the latest and test later today to see.
Maybe provide an option to save "web cam" captures to a different directory? A thought.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Screenshot Captor 3.28 Beta Test - Mar 16, 2013 - Feedback Wanted
« Reply #227 on: March 16, 2013, 07:19 AM »
New version is up, with two substantial improvements regarding Object editing.

First, the undo handling is improved, especially for modifying object properties and text.  You should find it does a much better job of letting you undo changes to an objects properties, and better feedback in the status bar when doing so.  The right-hand panel in the status bar now shows you how many undo buffer steps are available when working with a modified file.

I still advise all serious SC users who are editing a non-trivial screenshot with lots of objects to train themselves to occasionally use the "Save+" button which quickly saves a new version and lets you keep working on it -- it's the best possible way to give yourself some safety if you mess up and want to go back to a previous version.

Second, I noticed that in previous versions if you did some manipulation to the files entirely within the thumbnail browser (like dragged+dropped them to move them between folders), the hidden .object files would not follow -- which would result in a loss of the editable .object files after such actions.  This is now fixed and SC will pick up on any such move/copy/rename/delete operations and make sure the .object files follow the files.

Thanks again for all the testing -- I'm hoping to go live with a non-beta on monday.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #228 on: March 16, 2013, 08:37 AM »
I'm thinking of making some more short how-to videos for Screenshot Captor, to show how to do certain things efficiently.
Does anyone have any requests for specific how-to videos for SC?
(existing videos are here).

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #229 on: March 16, 2013, 12:59 PM »
I may have a request. Want to go back through the previous ones again 1st.
Will try and let you know by tomorrow.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Screenshot Captor 3.28 Beta Test - Mar 17, 2013 - Feedback Wanted
« Reply #230 on: March 17, 2013, 05:02 PM »
New version is up and I could not help but sneak in a MAJOR new feature -- a new built-in image uploader.

SC will still happily tie in to ShareX or any other tool, but it now has it's own for super quick and easy screenshot uploading and sharing without having to install an addon.  I know it's something people have asked for.

Note that I'm currently using the imm.io service, which has nice usage terms and seems stable.

As this is a brand new feature, I'd appreciate bug reports.  Let me know what you think.

ps. I'll be adding more image hosting sites to the built-in system soon.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #231 on: March 17, 2013, 05:14 PM »
ps. I expect the new built-in image uploader may have some rough edges; let me know what bugs you find.

cschw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #232 on: March 17, 2013, 10:25 PM »
Just tried the new image uploader...very quick and easy.  One question about using pixlr's imm.io:  The FAQ on the site refers to Remove and Rename tabs, but they don't appear to be available when auto-uploading screenshots via SC.  Is there a way to delete the photos on this site once they've been uploaded by SC?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #233 on: March 18, 2013, 02:11 AM »
Just tried the new image uploader...very quick and easy.
Great, that's what i was aiming for.  :up:

One question about using pixlr's imm.io:  The FAQ on the site refers to Remove and Rename tabs, but they don't appear to be available when auto-uploading screenshots via SC.  Is there a way to delete the photos on this site once they've been uploaded by SC?

Afraid not.  Using Imm.IO (at least through SC) means you don't have to provide any username or password or key, and you don't have to sign up at their site, BUT the consequence of this is that once a file is uploaded, it's out of your control.

HOWEVER,
If you download the latest Screenshot Captor beta you will now see you have an additional choice of upload service; in addition to Imm.IO, you can now use ImageShack.  With ImageShack you can provide a username+password, or cookie (your registration #), and optionally your own api key (not needed, will fall back to default one if not provided).  IF you choose to specify those values associated with your ImageShack account, you can manage your screenshots there after you upload.  And I must say it's worth the effort because it's a nice interface and you can delete anything you upload by mistake.

Let me know if you have any trouble with the ImageShack uploader module.  One tip to look out for is that ImageShack seems to fallback on anonymous upload if there is something it doesn't like about your credentials.  So after you put in your username+pass (or better cookie), make sure it really is uploading into your ImageShack account, and not anonymously.  The LOG tab can also help here (look for <uploader> info).

I'm anxious to hear how you guys like the new uploader.  It's been something I've wanted to add for a long time.  I think for the next NANY event I'll make the uploader a standalone utility and make it easy to add (plugin) support for tons of uploading services.

TIP: when you sign up at ImageShack they send you an email that tells you your registration COOKIE; its the #s here "http://imageshack.us/setlogin.php?login=#############".  That is probably better to use than username+pass in the service configuration.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 02:19 AM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #234 on: March 18, 2013, 02:23 AM »
One last thing -- with your folks approval, and once I get these last new features running smoothly, I'd like to take release the official non-beta release of SC as "Screenshot Captor 4.0".

It's been over a year since version 3 came out, which is a reasonable time between major version numbers (though it took more years to go from version 2 to 3).

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #235 on: March 18, 2013, 06:26 AM »
Definitely a 4.0. Image Shack is working fine too.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #236 on: March 18, 2013, 06:29 AM »
Thanks! :Thmbsup:

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #237 on: March 18, 2013, 07:08 AM »
The list of new and improved is vast, so a bump to 4.0 is quite valid. :up:

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #238 on: March 18, 2013, 11:23 AM »
I'm thinking of making some more short how-to videos for Screenshot Captor, to show how to do certain things efficiently.
Does anyone have any requests for specific how-to videos for SC?
(existing videos are here).

You'll already be busy covering all of the new features. But if you decide to re-do the options screencast SC11 it would be helpful to me at least if you went into a bit more detail using post capture command line feature. Other possibilities other than just the ftp mentioned.
Many of the things that would have been done in the past via command line are probably now already built in, adding captions for instance, but there probably are still a few things (?) that might be able to be done that users not yet fully knowledgeable/comfortable with command line (me) could do.

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #239 on: March 18, 2013, 11:24 AM »
The list of new and improved is vast, so a bump to 4.0 is quite valid. :up:

+1 agree.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #240 on: March 18, 2013, 11:31 AM »
It would be helpful to me at least if you went into a bit more detail using post capture command line feature. Other possibilities other than just the ftp mentioned.

If you want to get some experience with commandline manipulation of screenshot image files, check out the Tools menu and folder of SC.  It shows how a variety of tools can be launched on image files.

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #241 on: March 18, 2013, 02:44 PM »
It would be helpful to me at least if you went into a bit more detail using post capture command line feature. Other possibilities other than just the ftp mentioned.

If you want to get some experience with commandline manipulation of screenshot image files, check out the Tools menu and folder of SC.  It shows how a variety of tools can be launched on image files.

Will do.

One last...
I don't know if this one is even able to be done. Since the best I recall every other program with CHM help is the same way.
Is it possible to add one main heading with all of the current 6 SC headings under it as sub-topics? So the entire help can be sent to a printer/PDF at once instead of by each topic section.

SC 3_29_01 Test CHM  - 001_ver003.pngScreenshot Captor 3.28 aka 4.0RC Beta Test - Mar 17, 2013 - Feedback Wanted

bubbajunk

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #242 on: March 18, 2013, 05:09 PM »
I downloaded v3.29.01. I’m getting excited for the big v4.0 unveil. Since you are focusing on objects and object selection, the following seem inconsistent with other windows programs that may help with the user experience if you would consider changing.

1) The new "Modified" count in the lower right corner is only readable when the window is maximized.  Otherwise the text is truncated and only the word "modified" can be seen and the actual count is cutoff.
2) Selecting multiple specific objects in Object selection mode is accomplished by holding the Shift key and selecting each object. I'm used to using the Ctrl key in most other Windows programs.
3) In Object selection mode, using Ctrl+A does not select all of the objects, but rather draws a selection box around the entire screenshot. In order to clear all objects from the screenshot it would be helpful if Ctrl+A selected all added objects so that you could hit delete to delete them.
4) When selecting a highlighting rectangle object in order to move the object to a new location, the mouse needs to be placed directly over the line in order for the cursor to change to the move mode. This can be difficult when the line width is narrow. It would be better to change to move mode as soon as the cursor is over the object. It looks like it works this way when there is an Inner Color is specified, but doesn't when Inner Color is unchecked (which is the way I have mine set to default).
5) Thanks for adding the Border Width to the Text Box object. I use it often. It would be more consistent to have the Border Width property placed just below the Border Color as you have in other objects.
6) Would it be possible to add other standard highlighting object shapes besides just the circle and rectangle, e.g. polygon, star, diamond, etc.?
7) I've mentioned before the inconsistent rendering of the object selection box when drawing a rectangle to select multiple objects.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #243 on: March 18, 2013, 08:50 PM »
1) The new "Modified" count in the lower right corner is only readable when the window is maximized.  Otherwise the text is truncated and only the word "modified" can be seen and the actual count is cutoff.

nice find -- didn't notice that.

3) In Object selection mode, using Ctrl+A does not select all of the objects, but rather draws a selection box around the entire screenshot. In order to clear all objects from the screenshot it would be helpful if Ctrl+A selected all added objects so that you could hit delete to delete them.

another nice find, will fix.

as for the others, let me think about.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #244 on: March 18, 2013, 08:57 PM »
So the entire help can be sent to a printer/PDF at once instead of by each topic section.

No need for that, there is a pdf version of the help file here: https://www.donation...ScreenshotCaptor.pdf
It should be said that the help file could use some updating.

cschw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #245 on: March 18, 2013, 09:41 PM »
Uploading works well with ImageShack (used registration number per your recommendation), and was able to remove images immediately. 

Imm.io images are removed (deleted?) 30 days from last view, so that option is good for screenshots that are only needed for a short time (or will be used regularly)...as long as you don't mind not being able to delete them on demand.

I'm also looking forward to 4.0!

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #246 on: March 19, 2013, 07:17 PM »
Bug:

In the popup after a screenshot is made, if you select "Save image but hide" the popup minimizes itself to the taskbar and can not be closed. You have to exit SC to get rid of it.

dluby

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #247 on: March 20, 2013, 02:44 AM »
I think Screenshot Captor has earned it's stripes and deserves a promotion to version 4.0.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #248 on: March 20, 2013, 02:51 AM »
In the popup after a screenshot is made, if you select "Save image but hide" the popup minimizes itself to the taskbar and can not be closed.

This bug did not afflict me but if anyone else was suffering from it, hopefully the new version fixes it.
(and does not introduce new bugs).

I think Screenshot Captor has earned it's stripes and deserves a promotion to version 4.0.
thanks dluby!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Can I ask the wonderful testers to grab the latest version and make sure nothing obvious broke with the latest bugfix for app's problem?