topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:31 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Hulu streaming entire Criterion Movie collection for free on Feb 16th and 17th  (Read 5494 times)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Time to catch up on all those serious, artsy, and weirdo cult movies you meant to rent and watch someday.

This weekend only Hulu is providing free access to its entire Criterion Collection list.

Bergman films, Samauri classics, art house, vintage horror, sci-fi...there's something there for every taste. 8)

And unfortunately, it's geo-restricted to US viewers although there are faitly easy ways of getting around that which have been discussed previously in other DoCo threads.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 08:04 AM by 40hz »

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hmmm...I am in the US but not all of these are free. Some of them require a subscription to Hulu Plus.  :(

I was just talking about this one with Stephen, the other day...and wanted my daughter to see it.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
^Apologies. The announcement I was going off of said entire collection.

FWIW I had no problems with it earlier today on anything I watched. But starting around 10:00pm it's been locking up and going into limbo routinely. I'm guessing there may be too many viewers on their free feed.

bit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Time to catch up on all those serious, artsy, and weirdo cult movies you meant to rent and watch someday.

This weekend only Hulu is providing free access to its entire Criterion Collection list.

Bergman films, Samauri classics, art house, vintage horror, sci-fi...there's something there for every taste. 8)

And unfortunately, it's geo-restricted to US viewers although there are faitly easy ways of getting around that which have been discussed previously in other DoCo threads.

Hulu won't allow downloads outside the US, and it won't allow downloads via proxy either, so what would you suggest, please?

And if I can view it at all, what is a safe downloader to use?
Some might want to spring a surprise install of PUP crapware, so I don't know which to choose.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 01:34 PM by bit »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
^I *think* VPN is your keyword. Never used one myself though.

But (unclear if you missed that) the Hulu offer was for a weekend in February...
Tom

bit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Okay, Media Hint add-on to Firefox allows it to play through TOR Vidalia.
I was interested in something else on hulu, and got it to work with Media Hint.

There are various hulu downloaders, and my main concern is not to pick up a PUP from the wrong one.

bit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
^CORRECTION: With Media Hint enabled in Firefox, it disables all proxy settings and reverts Firefox to what amounts to 'direct unencrypted mode', or something like that (not sure exactly).
I discovered this because my home page for all my browsers is www.tracemyip.org which tells me immediately if the browser is running through a VPN or got accidentally switched back to 'no proxy' mode, as was the case with Media Hint, and told me exactly where my actual location is.
I reset the proxy to TOR Vidalia, closed Firefox, reopened it, and it was still set to 'no proxy' mode, and www.tracemyip.org unerringly told me my actual exact location again.
Only when I disabled Media Hint and reset my proxy to TOR Vidalia, did Firefox again work through TOR Vidalia properly, and give me a random 'location' again as TOR VIdalia is supposed to do.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 10:30 AM by bit »