topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:53 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Security Software Showdown!  (Read 5500 times)

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Security Software Showdown!
« on: February 01, 2013, 06:30 PM »
  I know I saw another topic on this discussion but couldn't find it.  Probably buried in the archives.  It don't matter anyhow since this changes like every 6 months or so.  With that being said, let the fights discussions begin....

Security software showdown! 9 antivirus suites empirically tested
We tested security suites on PCs, tablets, and phones to evaluate how well they protect against viruses and other threats.

http://www.pcworld.c...irically-tested.html

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Security Software Showdown!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 07:56 PM »
Maybe it's just me but where's the link on that site that lists every AV product they tested?

Or did they only test nine of them?

Joe Hone

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 09:20 PM »
My first thought always, and recently confirmed by the CNET abuse of editorial discretion, is can the rankings be trusted? Because I can websearch and find half a dozen other sites with recent reviews, different rankings, and some of the suites listed here won't be listed there and vice versa. Better to be a skeptic and hang out a sites like DC where you get recommendations from real users of real products. Having said that, I use AVG free and when I'm tooling around on Chrome I use a program like Webutation to warn me of risky sites. Haven't had any attacks since using this system.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 05:43 AM »
My first thought always, and recently confirmed by the CNET abuse of editorial discretion, is can the rankings be trusted?
Of course not - follow the money trail.
- carpe noctem

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 06:48 AM »
My first thought always, and recently confirmed by the CNET abuse of editorial discretion, is can the rankings be trusted?
Of course not - follow the money trail.

Their recent list of departures suggests that CNET has some integrity, but not enough to fend of CBS.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 05:58 PM »
Maybe it's just me but where's the link on that site that lists every AV product they tested?

Or did they only test nine of them?

LOL!  What you see is what you get....

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 06:04 PM »
My first thought always, and recently confirmed by the CNET abuse of editorial discretion, is can the rankings be trusted? Because I can websearch and find half a dozen other sites with recent reviews, different rankings, and some of the suites listed here won't be listed there and vice versa. Better to be a skeptic and hang out a sites like DC where you get recommendations from real users of real products. Having said that, I use AVG free and when I'm tooling around on Chrome I use a program like Webutation to warn me of risky sites. Haven't had any attacks since using this system.

I think it's all about the money, personally.  However, I learned a long long time ago that the vast majority of "Anti-Virus Reviews" websites are planted reviews paid for by, obviously, the top rated product.  Just a couple of years ago the U.S. was contemplating laws to make planting reviews illegal.  Haven't heard anything else about it since, which probably means the lobbyist money landed in the right pockets....  Not that it would matter since whoever they pay to make the claims aren't going to admit to accepting money for the positive review.....

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 06:13 PM »
  I forgot to mention, I use Avast! anti-Virus and Comodo firewall, neither of which were mentioned in the article.  I've been using them for a couple of years now and have never had an issue.  My logs on both products shows a multitude of attempted malware attacks and hacking attempts, all which were stopped in their tracks.  I also scan my system from time to time with other anti-malware products and have never found any kind of infection.  I'm happy...   :)

Years ago I was an avid Norton user until 2005 when Norton went downhill fast.  According to the review Norton is the speed king now, which was always their bane.  But since I've had such good luck with the freeware products I use above, I can't see buying a commercial product.  Of course they both offer a pro (commercial) version, but they are both geared for the company environment and do things that I would have no use for.