topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Wednesday April 17, 2024, 10:06 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: First 2-part review has started  (Read 5437 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
First 2-part review has started
« on: May 30, 2005, 10:53 AM »
As we discussed in the ASRT member section, DonationCoder.com will now be doing two-part, two-week reviews.

I'm really excited about this idea, as it will give us a week where members can try various programs and offer their opinions, with the review being updated throughout the week, building up to a final summary and awarding of best-in-class to one particular program.

I hope you will help by evaluating the programs and offering your views on their strengths and weeknesses.  You should post comments in the forum assoicated with the review (link from the review page), and we can have a rolling debate about the merits of different programs.  This will be a big help to the person doing the review, and I think it will lead to an improved quality of the reviews.  Are we the only site doing reviews in this way?  Let's make it a success!

The first part of the review of ScreenCasting tools is now up (follow link in upper right of forum or on main page).

Note that we are going to try making part 1 of the review available to members only.  The final part 2 of the review, which is the full review, will be available to the public next week.

As always, if you are not a member and cannot/will not donate for whatever reason, just email me and let me know the situation and i will mark you as a member.  Our intention is not to punish people for not donating, but rather to create an incentive for those who can afford to and just need some encouragement.

It should automatically detect that you are a member based on your forum cookie.  Let me know if you have any troubles. 

For those curious, here is the page that non-members will see for part 1 of reviews; comments/criticism are welcome:
https://www.donation...NonMemberReview.html

vegas

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: First 2-part review has started
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2005, 01:35 PM »
I truly believe this every other week thing will make these reviews a huge success.  Unlike anything else on the web.  How often do you have a group of software freaks working on a community review of a particular category of software for an entire week? Every other week nonetheless! This is a great approach, good work mouser, your open mind with this site makes it invaluable to everyone who uses it now and finds it later.  Peace.  vegas

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2005, 01:51 PM »
i'm excited about it too.

members were offering opinion/correction/help before too, it was just after the final review was up..  now we'll be able to integrate those changes before it goes final.

the other thing thats great is that its a good division of labour, because it means that some of the grunt work of finding and taking screenshots, resizing images, formating page, finding and adding links, getting price info, etc., can be first and then take a break, which is good because thats kind of mindless work which still tires you out.  so its nice to have a separation between that and writing the heart of the review, so i think it will be a funner experience writing the final review without having to mess with that stuff.

vegas

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2005, 02:28 PM »
I just think the extra time to do the review itself (no rushing things out the door) & encouraging members to provide feedback into the programs with so much time to do so as well, will make a huge difference in the final released reviews. Also having guest reviews with people with heavy expertise in a given areas, great stuff!

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2005, 11:33 PM »
It is a natural evolution from what has been occurring so far, and it serves as a natural lure for donations, thus a great idea.