topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 8:54 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Enlightenment 0.17 is out! (With awesome web page copy!)  (Read 3718 times)

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Enlightenment 0.17 is out! (With awesome web page copy!)
« on: December 22, 2012, 08:39 AM »

I'm way out of my depth here but I figured this would interest someone. In what might be one of the longest dev cycles ever, apparently after *twelve* years of dev (     :o     )  work, the new Enlightenment environment is out. It claims to be a response to all the dumb-ifying trend of some of the latest environments. The web page announcement is awesome:

(In part)
Enlightenment 0.17 (a.k.a E17) is the next generation of graphical desktop shell from the Enlightenment project. When you first run it and get past the initial setup wizard, you should end up with a desktop not unlike the above. It is a very traditional UNIX/X11 style desktop, because that is what E primarily is and attempts to be, BUT with a bunch of bells, whistles and modernities that were never there, as well as a different core design philosophy.
Also be aware that this page is large and is meant to provide a lot of important information. It is not for the tl;dr; (too long, didn't read) set of people with minimal attention span. It contains lots of that scary thing called "text" and "information". It is assumed that you can make use of the education you have been provided with that allows you to read and comprehend what has been written.
    WE HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR

We are not always that serious a bunch. Deal with it. We have a sense of Humor. We exercise it regularly. You may call it "unprofessional". We call it "having a life". :)
And for the tweaker heads amongst you, there is an option for every occasion. We don't go quietly into the night and remove options when no one is looking. None of those new big version releases with fanfare and "Hey look! Now with half the options you used to have!". We sneak in when you least expect it and plant a whole forest of new option seeds, watching them spring to life. We nail new options to walls on a regular basis. We bake options-cakes and hand them out at parties. Options are good. Options are awesome. We have lots of them. Spend some quality time getting to know your new garden of options in E17. It may just finally give you the control you have been pining for.

:Thmbsup:

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Enlightenment 0.17 is out! (With awesome web page copy!)
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 04:03 PM »

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 06:30 PM »
Well, after using Litestep with x-modules on Windows, e17 shouldn't be too much harder to wrestle with, though I do admit I have shied away from it in the past BECAUSE of option overload.  Xfce has done so right by me I haven't been pining for anything different, but maybe I'll give it a shot.
 :Thmbsup:

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 06:12 AM »
I tried enlightenment way back in 2001 or 2002 I think, and LOVED it! It's the best desktop I've used so far. It's just so elegant. I know a lot of people hate it, but man... it's just so simple and elegant to use.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 10:11 AM »
Ugly.