topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 25, 2024, 5:09 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Heads Up for Video Players on Android Tablets  (Read 2182 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Heads Up for Video Players on Android Tablets
« on: November 02, 2012, 09:39 AM »
HOW TO SEEK PROPERLY IN VIDEO PLAYERS ON TABLET COMPUTERS -- Does your tablet not let you seek inside of a video? The below applies...

I got a bit sick of my default video player on my Android tab, and decided to get a new one.

The problem with the default is that it INSISTS on doing a "Media scan" and just wasting my time. Pisses me off. Just shut up and open up so I can watch a darn video! I don't care about scanning! Grrr...

This is a major problem when I upload new videos onto it. It insists on scanning again. Not happy.

(I'm very unpatient with "things".)

So, I got installed a couple other video players...

Now, the video I wanted to watch was 7 hours long. I'd already watched a couple hours on my desktop. Not really all that interested in the first two hours again...

However, and I should have known this immediately but had turned my brain off from "work-mode", the players defaulted to using hardware decoding instead of software. This prevents the video player from seeking properly, and you can't just seek around in the video. For a 2 minute video, this isn't a real problem, but for 7 hours? Nightmare.

Anyways, when downloading video players, check for a "software decoding" option. It will make life MUCH easier.

The downside is that software decoding is more battery intensive, and you'll run out of juice sooner. Hardware decoding is much more efficient. Which is why hardware gets set as the default.

Now, that may not be true for all tabs or all video players, but it will hold true for enough of them to warrant checking it on yours.

Hope that helps someone.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Heads Up for Video Players on Android Tablets
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 06:11 AM »
I've had good success with the following for the most part:

https://sites.google.com/site/mxvpen/

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: Heads Up for Video Players on Android Tablets
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 06:32 AM »
Funny enough, but that was one of the ones that I downloaded, and the one I used! :)
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker