topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:19 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: PT doesn't change priority of a certain service by explicit rule  (Read 14631 times)

bege

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi,
I installed ProcessTamer (PT) in the first place to permanently reduce priority of the service psia.exe (belongs to Secunia PSI) - and just this one PT does not regulate by the explicit rule. This also happens if I am logged in as administrator or run PT as administrator.
It didn't help either to set the logging in of this service to the administrator account.
Strange enough the priority of this service can be changed by PT instantly in the processes tab of the PT configurator.
Does any body know help?
Thank you very much.

I am using PT 2.11.01 on Windows XP SP3
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 10:43 AM by bege »

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: PT doesn't change priority of a certain service by explicit rule
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 11:45 AM »
Strange enough the priority of this service can be changed by PT instantly in the processes tab of the PT configurator.
Does any body know help?
That's a fair warning (or reason) for any external priority changes not working. The tool most likely checks it's current process-priority setting, and resets it to the internally configured value.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 11:54 AM »
I'm not sure the cause -- you aren't doing anything wrong, PT should change it automatically..
But Ath may be right -- it might be that PT is changing the priority as soon as the application starts, and then the application is changing it back.
It may be that PT needs to wait a little bit before making the initial priority change in order for it to keep.  Adding to my todo list.

bege

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 12:59 PM »
The tool most likely checks it's current process-priority setting, and resets it to the internally configured value.
Thank you (both) for answering. These questions come up with your answer:

If this is the case,
1. why doesn't the tool set the priority back when I use the manual way of ProcessTamer (or Process Explorer also)?
(what does PT do differently when changing the priority manually or by rule?)
2. why doesn't ProcessTamer show a balloon that it changed the priority due to an explicit rule, if it did?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 01:03 PM »
Good questions.. I'm trying to remember if PT shows a balloon when changing priority according to explicit rule.. I'm not sure it does.
As far as why it works during manual rule, it may be that if PT is doing it initially, its happening before the program does it's initial initialization process which forces it's priority.

Of course the other possibility is that PT has a bug is somehow skipping the initial priority setting and never even trying to do it.  A PT update is long overdue -- I'm adding to my todo list to check into this and also log these events so that they are easier to diagnose.

bege

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 01:14 PM »
Good questions.. I'm trying to remember if PT shows a balloon when changing priority according to explicit rule.. I'm not sure it does.

Yes, it does with all other rules I configured.

As far as why it works during manual rule, it may be that if PT is doing it initially, its happening before the program does it's initial initialization process which forces it's priority.

I'm not shure whether I understand this correctly. If I don't start PT automatically but manually after the user log in is complete and the tool is running for a while already, it is the same behavior. I can change the priority manually as often as I want, but creating a rule doesn't show any result - but only with this one process!

I'm adding to my todo list to check into this and also log these events so that they are easier to diagnose.

Thank you very much.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 01:16 PM »

Yes, it does with all other rules I configured.
Sure you've got that explicit rule exactly right? If all others work, then why wouldn't this rule work, some silly typo maybe? (I have those all the time :-[)

bege

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 01:34 PM »
Sure you've got that explicit rule exactly right? If all others work, then why wouldn't this rule work, some silly typo maybe? (I have those all the time :-[)

I deleted the rule and created it anew:
1. Look in Process Explorer for the correct path of the process
2. Drag and drop the application from Windows Explorer to the rules window of PT
3. Set the priority rule.
result: nothing.

I deleted the rule again and did this:
1. go to the Processes tab of PT
2. set the Explicit Rule for the process
result: nothing.
3. set the Priority for the process
instant reaction

SQUIDMAN

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • WAT TV Squidman Videos
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 01:31 AM »
Hi mouser, I have gotten a balloon message on my pc when using process tamer.

1. Although I have set higher portieres to be forced, is the program suppose to change these automatically on start up? It doesn't seem to work if this is the case also running windows 64 bit.

2. How do I tell the program not to automatically reduce a process? It slows down my video maker program. 

3. Not sure if I am configuring settings right, I go to the process list click on exe that I raised and to the next column to force priority. Is that all I have to do to change these automatically on start up? :-[     

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2013, 09:10 PM »
2. How do I tell the program not to automatically reduce a process? It slows down my video maker program.

Run the program in question. Then open up the configuration, find the program on the list of running processes, and in the far right hand column labeled "Explicit Rule" choose "Ignore".

OR if you don't want to run the program, just go to the main Configuration tab, right clck in the bottom grid and say Add Rule, then add the executable filename and set it to "Ignore".