topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:45 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: DVD Burning  (Read 7853 times)

SQUIDMAN

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • WAT TV Squidman Videos
    • Donate to Member
DVD Burning
« on: September 29, 2012, 01:18 AM »
looking for some suggestions for software, free or pay for that is user freindly and that can take MP4s or avi files and make a DISK that will play on DVD player?
Any ideas, or help would be great, I am not a techie so user friendly is a must! I have already tried a few free one like infraRecorder that doesn't work.  :tellme:

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: DVD Burning
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 01:24 AM »
A lot of DVD players are capable of playing video files that aren't actual "DVD" formatted videos. Does that count? Or are you looking for DVD authoring software to do the video with menus and all that stuff? If that's what you're looking for, Mediachance has some good DVD authoring tools - payware, but relatively easy to use.

This is the relevant menu from ashampoo:

Screenshot - 2012-09-29 , 4_21_58 PM.png

As you can see, you need the DVD actually finished as the proper files there. However, there's (S)VCD support there too.

I've never really had any luck with free tools.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 02:20 AM »
Something free I've used a few times to create DVD's (with menus, etc.) is DVDStyler: http://www.dvdstyler.org/en/

I own Adobe's Encore but can't be bothered to look at it as DVDStyler just seems to work better and easier - although it looks a bit ugly.

Can't say what formats it is compatible with, I just drag and drop the source video (mp4, avi, whatever) and away it goes.

Only "problem" I've noticed comes from trying to convert source to something it shouldn't be, i.e. trying to change 23. frames to 29. and then the audio went out of sync (well, that's what I think the problem was - converting 23.976 to 25 worked perfectly instead as it simply speeds everything up rather than doing all the pulldown stuff).

edit:
I've just checked the source video mentioned above and the audio goes out of sync with the original too, though, not as much as on the related DVD. So, something odd about the file in general.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 04:37 AM by nudone »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 02:52 AM »
I wanted to burn a DVD from an MP4 file
I tried using Ashampoo Burn (using the first option in Renegade's screenshot above) without success.

Via this thread What is best program to create a DVD from any video file? I just tried DVD Flick -
is easy to use, it seemed to work (I dont have tv/dvd player so cannot test it myself). There was at least one other recommendation on that thread for ease of use, but I cant remember the name now.
Tom

SQUIDMAN

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • WAT TV Squidman Videos
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 01:13 AM »
Renegade just want to make a dvd that will play on home player, don't need menus, titles, or editing functions.
"A lot of DVD players are capable of playing video files that aren't actual "DVD" formatted videos. Does that count?" Is ashampoo able to do this?,
what kind of files are needed for a DVD player to see or play them? See your screenshot above what is VCD support? or how do you check to see
if dvd player has it?  For nudone and tomos will check out your picks, it's not that I mind paying and I have, more than once and never seems to work and they give little or no support once you pay them.
nudone seen the problem before that you mentioned about being out of sink, think it was with a product I payed for! Thanks all for your inputs
TEDD

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 02:59 AM »
Renegade just want to make a dvd that will play on home player, don't need menus, titles, or editing functions.
"A lot of DVD players are capable of playing video files that aren't actual "DVD" formatted videos. Does that count?" Is ashampoo able to do this?,
what kind of files are needed for a DVD player to see or play them? See your screenshot above what is VCD support? or how do you check to see
if dvd player has it?  For nudone and tomos will check out your picks, it's not that I mind paying and I have, more than once and never seems to work and they give little or no support once you pay them.
nudone seen the problem before that you mentioned about being out of sink, think it was with a product I payed for! Thanks all for your inputs
TEDD

It all depends on the DVD player manufacturer. Most also play Xvid or DivX as well, so if you have an Xvid encoded AVI, it should play.

VCD is "video CD". It's a cheap version of DVD. Similarly with SVCD, it's "super video CD".

Check out this link:

http://www.videohelp...earch+or+List+Guides

I think you'll find exactly what you want to do there with some excellent explanations. VideoHelp.com is a good site.

If you use VideoLAN, you might try this:

http://wiki.videolan.../How_to_Create_a_DVD

I've not used that though, and can't really comment on it.

SQUIDMAN

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • WAT TV Squidman Videos
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 12:30 AM »
 ;D Renegade
Thanks for the Xvid info, will use all the great links and one day before I died I might get something to work!!!!

AGAIN THANKS TEDD

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 01:25 AM »
Heheh! I know how you feel. I've lost track of the number of times I've tried to use some program to burn a CD/DVD and just had everything botched.

I can tell you from firsthand experience that there are bugs in some of the SDKs for the standards, so, that trickles down into the consumer-level stuff as well.

SQUIDMAN

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • WAT TV Squidman Videos
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 01:29 AM »
Hey all haven't used this  yet but looks and sounds easy, got high marks from user's:  :greenclp:
http://download.cnet...2140_4-75156761.html

for Renegade if your still there, how do you post a picture in forum pages like one you did?

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 01:51 AM »
Look above and below - at the same time - maybe tilt your head and cross your eyes - maybe I'm just blathering and should get to the point... ;)

Screenshot - 2012-10-01 , 4_49_14 PM.png

The inline full/thumbnail is what you're looking for. :D

Then below, use the "Attach: [Choose File]" button and browse to the one you want to upload.

SQUIDMAN

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • WAT TV Squidman Videos
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 03:46 AM »
:up: Thanks, I know I'm a tech nooooooooooob! but if I can help out let me know! If you went to the dailymotion link I sent
you know I do music vids, have a request: artist name of song just let me know. I will see what I can do :Thmbsup: TEDD

adam718

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 10:55 AM »
DVD Author Plus works well for me.  It is free, easy to use and works perfectly. Burns video DVDs from any file type that will work on all DVD players.  It can also backup to ISO, copy DVD to DVD and burn ISO files -
http://www.deskshare...urning-software.aspx

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 03:41 PM »
This is an excellent search engine for DVD Players

You put in the formats you want it to handle and it displays any that match the criteria.  Also if you find a specific DVD Player there may be comments with manipulations of the remote control that may turn the region code to 0. In effect it's the same as paying $150 extra for a "region free" player, except you don't pay the $150 extra.

Also on that videohelp site there's a search engine for converters. One of the easiest to use is DVD Flick. But it's dated now.  Another option, instead of converting, is a set top box. If you can spend around $100 there are boxes that can play and upconvert many video formats.

I have always purchased Philips DVD players with divx support. They have some nice features but one limitation that is annoying is that they will only play SD format. If you have an .avi file that's already HD res, it won't play it. You can find yourself in the absurd predicament of downsizing video so it will be accepted by the player which then upconverts it back to HD.  Lame!!  :)

I have WD HDTV for USB. It is a bit quirky, but most times if I have to encode a video to get it to play it's just audio encoding and muxing into another container. For example, it won't play DTS audio. So anything with only a DTS audio track I have to convert the audio to AC3 or AAC.  There are free tools that work quite well for this.  One example is MkvToMP4.

For a DVD Player that can only play the standard DVD video format, then see the software conversion database

Some of the free converters actually produce better quality than paid, unless we are talking expensive professional authoring/video creation suites. Check out the comments on each software for an idea if it will work for you.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 03:52 PM by MilesAhead »