topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 12:30 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: 2G Quad Band in a 3G/4G World  (Read 3937 times)

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
2G Quad Band in a 3G/4G World
« on: September 02, 2012, 10:08 AM »
Obviously not every country has 3G, but how far are we on the way toward a 3G/4G equivalent of 2G quad band? Are we there yet?

I've noticed that T-Mobile USA's 3G bands (UMTS (W-CDMA)/HSPA) operate using both 1700 and 2100 Mhz frequencies (at the same time) and India also uses 2100 Mhz for its 3G, so that seems to be a happy coincidence for those who travel between both countries.

Other countries also use the UMTS 2100 band, I see. So it may be a matter of picking your countries from the start and not aiming for universal 3G.

Otherwise I am not seeing much of a movement toward a universal 3G/4G phone, but maybe I am misunderstanding things and will appreciate any insights.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: 2G Quad Band in a 3G/4G World
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 11:50 PM »

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: 2G Quad Band in a 3G/4G World
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 07:24 PM »
I've noticed that T-Mobile USA's 3G bands (UMTS (W-CDMA)/HSPDA) operate using both 1700 and 2100 Mhz frequencies (at the same time) and India also uses 2100 Mhz for its 3G, so that seems to be a happy coincidence for those who travel between both countries.

Apparently T-Mobile will be using 1700 and 2100 Mhz for LTE and move UMTS over to 1900 Mhz in the near future (source: Fierce Wireless). Would existing T-Mobile UMTS phones start supporting LTE at that point? I know jack about the technology, but  I know different phones support different speeds of UMTS/HSPDA+, so it seems too much to ask.