topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 1:03 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Firefox 15 less of a memory hog  (Read 72336 times)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Firefox 15 less of a memory hog
« Reply #100 on: September 11, 2012, 01:20 PM »
I always install these addons on FF
[...]
qtl15
[...]

that stole my homepage :down:
Tom

kilele

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #101 on: September 11, 2012, 01:32 PM »
sorry pal, what do you mean?
go to configuration and disable the "support" settings.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #102 on: September 11, 2012, 01:51 PM »
sorry pal, what do you mean?

it changed my homepage to qtl's.
I didnt mean to hassle you about it kilele - I was just suprised at the rudeness of it...
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #103 on: September 12, 2012, 03:45 AM »
Bah. F FF. Or F Fx. Whatever. Sick of it. Damn thing froze on me while trying to scroll down the page. The mouse was already sluggish inside of it. I can't be bothered to fart around with it anymore.

v15.  :down:

I'm having scrolling problems occasionally too - page freezes when scrolling with mouse wheel.
Tom

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #104 on: September 12, 2012, 05:02 AM »
I'm having scrolling problems occasionally too - page freezes when scrolling with mouse wheel.

Same here. However, the other problem I mentioned previously regarding lock-ups when attempting to open new tabs seems to have mysteriously gone away. Weird...

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #105 on: September 12, 2012, 05:45 AM »
+1, sometimes there seem to be some parts of the text moving/wiggling :o and not scrolling, other parts of the text then do not move/wiggle; if the mouse is moved to another area of the page the scroll function returns.
I'm using WaterFox 15, so it seems like a common FireFox 15 issue as both are built from the same codebase :(

kilele

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #106 on: September 12, 2012, 08:28 AM »
One thing that might help is using Flashblock, above all when browsing youtube or sites with videos, it leaves icons on the sites instead of allowing videos/flash to load automatically.
Another useful extension is quickjava, to able/disable js,java,flash,images..by means of buttons.
I've also found better performance disabling hardware acceleration on the flash plugin..

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #107 on: September 12, 2012, 09:14 AM »
I'm getting the mousewheel-scroll problems as well - seems to happen on certain HTML elements, as if the mwheelup/mwheeldown is sent to (and gobbled up by) the element.
- carpe noctem

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #108 on: September 12, 2012, 09:20 AM »
^I'm seeing a lot of exactly that on YouTube pages.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #109 on: September 12, 2012, 09:47 AM »
^I'm seeing a lot of exactly that on YouTube pages.
To be fair, that normally involves flash, and flash is evil and input-greedy :) - I'm seeing it now and then here at DoCo - mostly at the green reply-quote boxes. At other sites, it can be stuff like links. Doesn't always happen, but not sure entirely what causes it.
- carpe noctem

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #110 on: September 12, 2012, 09:51 AM »
I'm seeing it now and then here at DoCo -

I was getting it here earlier today.

Afterthought:
... that makes it sounds more interesting than it actually was, doesnt it ;-)
Tom

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #111 on: September 13, 2012, 10:42 AM »
If you have flat screen I guess there's contrast on those funky color combinations. On CRT it's black on black crime. :)
Humm, CRTs tend(ed?) to have better color range and contrast than flat panels (but yes, my monitors are flat) - you'd have to be using a pretty poor CRT for the ghostery bubble to come up as black-on black. Perhaps the transparency somehow messes up on your system? Here's how it looks on my system, with the hex color code for the background added to the snapshot:

not-really-black.png
- carpe noctem

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #112 on: September 13, 2012, 01:24 PM »
If you have flat screen I guess there's contrast on those funky color combinations. On CRT it's black on black crime. :)
Humm, CRTs tend(ed?) to have better color range and contrast than flat panels (but yes, my monitors are flat) - you'd have to be using a pretty poor CRT for the ghostery bubble to come up as black-on black. Perhaps the transparency somehow messes up on your system? Here's how it looks on my system, with the hex color code for the background added to the snapshot:
 (see attachment in previous post)

I don't think it's just me. A lot of sites use color combinations that put the whammy on CRT users. That's why Zap Colors bookmarklet was written. In any case it's academic now. The thing is too crash prone to leave active. I'm sure it must slow things down analyzing invisible pixels.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #113 on: September 14, 2012, 12:47 AM »
 (see attachment in previous post)
I don't think it's just me. A lot of sites use color combinations that put the whammy on CRT users. That's why Zap Colors bookmarklet was written. In any case it's academic now. The thing is too crash prone to leave active. I'm sure it must slow things down analyzing invisible pixels.
Well, do the colors in the snapshot I posted look black-on-black to you? Just interested in whether it's your CRT or something weird with your install :)

Crash prone sounds weird, haven't had any issues with it here, neither in FF nor Chrome (but in fairness, the Chrome is on my work laptop, and doesn't have any other plugins that might be interfering with Ghostery).
- carpe noctem

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #114 on: September 14, 2012, 02:07 PM »
The "black on black" was a joke. The point being I can't read it. So I can't tell you the colors. I can only see text if I highlight by dragging the mouse. At any rate, it's going to tell me that the sites I visit use analytics. I don't see the point of getting the same information over and again. It was crash prone when I tried it maybe a year ago. It's crash prone now. It's gone from my machine.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #115 on: September 15, 2012, 09:41 AM »
^ an important point is that it allows you to block those analytics as well. But I guess people realise that...

What I found interesting is that it showed that google analytics were 'working' here, in spite of the fact that I opted out with google, and in spite of having google's "Google Analytics Opt-out Add-on" installed in Firefox.

But now it's blocked :up:
Tom

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #116 on: September 15, 2012, 02:40 PM »
^ an important point is that it allows you to block those analytics as well. But I guess people realise that...

What I found interesting is that it showed that google analytics were 'working' here, in spite of the fact that I opted out with google, and in spite of having google's "Google Analytics Opt-out Add-on" installed in Firefox.

But now it's blocked :up:

I'm convinced those "do not have tele-marketers call me" lists are just a sneaky way to gather call lists. No sense making it easy for 'em by volunteering my phone number. :)

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #117 on: September 16, 2012, 09:02 AM »
The "black on black" was a joke. The point being I can't read it. So I can't tell you the colors. I can only see text if I highlight by dragging the mouse.
D'oh. Guess I'm riding the slow bus :)

I don't see the point of getting the same information over and again.
As tomos says, the important thing is that the analytics is bugged - but it's interesting seeing what kind of stuff is included on various pages. I've turned off the pop-up bubble, though, after getting an idea what kind of tracking is used on the sites I visit frequently - can always click the friendly little ghost to get the list if I feel like it :)

It was crash prone when I tried it maybe a year ago. It's crash prone now. It's gone from my machine.
Too bad - glad it's stable here :)
- carpe noctem

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #118 on: September 16, 2012, 04:55 PM »
Too bad - glad it's stable here

I don't trust CRT-hostile software. To me it's all part of the scam to try to get people to upgrade the monitor for no real reason.  I haven't looked at the specs for a few years. But the last time I looked flat screen performance sucked compared to much cheaper CRT monitors.  Maybe it's different now. But I don't have hundred dollar bills to light my cigars. Fortunately, I don't smoke. :)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #119 on: September 27, 2012, 11:44 AM »
Firefox 15.01 has broken most of my toolbar icons, and none of the links on any of the internal pages are working. E.g., my "reload without cache" button doesn’t work, print preview nor print buttons work... none of the buttons on the level with my address bar work at all. And on the add-ons page none of the links - options, "More...", etc. nothing happens when clicking.

I disabled hardware acceleration - it defaulted to "Enabled" in this version - and that got back a few things but most still aren't working.

I have read that it is possibly a graphics card driver update needed, and others claim that a recent Windows Update broke all of these things.

Grrr...  Really becoming tough as hell not to hate this damn browser lately.

Jim

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #120 on: September 27, 2012, 12:01 PM »
J-Mac, what kind of addons have you got in there? Sounds like too massive b0rkage to be FF itself that has messed up, more likely to be some badly coded addon?
- carpe noctem

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #121 on: September 27, 2012, 12:12 PM »
Oh, I have plenty, but nothing new installed for a long time. This literally started right after updating to Firefox 15.01. Disabling hardware accel. and then restarting Firefox covered a lot of the issues, but not all. Seems like too many had this happen the same way right after the update, though I agree it isn't all Firefox. Since there was a fairly sizable Windows Update this month I think that plus the Firefox update might be causing indigestion.

Jim

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #122 on: September 27, 2012, 12:31 PM »
Oh, hardware acceleration, missed that - yep, that can be quite buggy. Drivers are usually optimized for gaming use, whereas the codepaths browsers have started exercising simply haven't been tested as well. I thought firefox was pretty picky about not enabling hw accel on 'bad' drivers though. Hm. Driver bugs should lead to stuff like crashes and graphics glitches, though, whereas your "buttons and links stop working" sound more like some (possibly old) badly coded addon that breaks because some FF internals have changed around a bit :)
- carpe noctem

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #123 on: September 30, 2012, 01:02 PM »

Hmm, the little flash-cpu-spikes are back.

So whatever gains I thought I had from the new version are gone again. This kind of thing is so hard to pin down. : (

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #124 on: October 01, 2012, 04:33 PM »
In terms of everyday use, it's definitely a lot worse than previous versions (here).
I've disabled a few extensions and plugins and it's still acting up - to be completely fair to it I should try it with no add-ons.

(Firefox without Session Manager and Tab Mix Plus though, would leave me no particular reason to be still with firefox...)
Tom