ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Firefox 15 less of a memory hog

<< < (25/28) > >>

f0dder:
J-Mac, what kind of addons have you got in there? Sounds like too massive b0rkage to be FF itself that has messed up, more likely to be some badly coded addon?

J-Mac:
Oh, I have plenty, but nothing new installed for a long time. This literally started right after updating to Firefox 15.01. Disabling hardware accel. and then restarting Firefox covered a lot of the issues, but not all. Seems like too many had this happen the same way right after the update, though I agree it isn't all Firefox. Since there was a fairly sizable Windows Update this month I think that plus the Firefox update might be causing indigestion.

Jim

f0dder:
Oh, hardware acceleration, missed that - yep, that can be quite buggy. Drivers are usually optimized for gaming use, whereas the codepaths browsers have started exercising simply haven't been tested as well. I thought firefox was pretty picky about not enabling hw accel on 'bad' drivers though. Hm. Driver bugs should lead to stuff like crashes and graphics glitches, though, whereas your "buttons and links stop working" sound more like some (possibly old) badly coded addon that breaks because some FF internals have changed around a bit :)

TaoPhoenix:

Hmm, the little flash-cpu-spikes are back.

So whatever gains I thought I had from the new version are gone again. This kind of thing is so hard to pin down. : (

tomos:
In terms of everyday use, it's definitely a lot worse than previous versions (here).
I've disabled a few extensions and plugins and it's still acting up - to be completely fair to it I should try it with no add-ons.

(Firefox without Session Manager and Tab Mix Plus though, would leave me no particular reason to be still with firefox...)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version