topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 4:08 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: In search of ... name of an old TV series  (Read 2885 times)

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
In search of ... name of an old TV series
« on: June 11, 2012, 11:47 PM »
Folk,

Back [way back] in my younger days there was a TV series about a couple of helicopter pilots who had a training school.  I've been trying to recall the name, but now my long-term memory is playing me false  :(.  The series ran concurrently with Sea Hunt starring Lloyd Bridges as Mike Nelson, if that helps to spur a thought.  The 'copter show normally featured the stars in a Bell bubble chopper.  I'm trying to recall the names of the protagonists, as well as possibly find reruns.

'Preciate any remembrances.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: In search of ... name of an old TV series
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 11:59 PM »
The only ones I can recall are "Blue Thunder" and "Airwolf". But those are what you're looking for... Maybe they'll help jog someone's memory though...

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 12:14 AM »
Whirlybirds ?

The Whirlybirds TV show was a 30 minute action / adventure series that aired in syndication. Chuck Martin and P. T. Moore were partners who co-owned a helicopter. Often, an episode would begin with them flying some rich person somewhere or with them meeting some "down on their luck" person who needed help. Then the story would evolve into a life-threatening situation. Occasionally, they'd help find some missing person who was lost way out in the middle of nowhere. Of course, Chuck and P.T. always saved the day somehow!

EDIT:  For interests sake, the search words were: action adventure helicopter 1960 series

To paraphrase Lloyd: "Watch closely because, remember, the clues were all there, as we go through... the search engine."
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 12:33 AM by 4wd »

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 12:33 AM »
4wd wins the gold cigar!  Dunno how yer gonna light it, though  :-\ :P.

Yep, Whrlybirds was the old black-and-white show I disremembered.  However, I have fond memories of Renegade's series Airwolf, as well.  If memory serves - though demonstrably it does not - Blue Thunder referred to both a chopper flick and a boating series.  The TV series with the boat had Hulk Hogan as the leading man.  He was a halfway decent actor, but he'd been a professional wrestler for a long, long time, so he had lotsa training  :P.

Edit

The Hulk Hogan series was Thunder in Paradise, Blue Thunder was a TV series modeled after the movie.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 04:26 AM »
The internet age is a wonderful thing. That question would have occupied a bunch of buddies for an entire year with "I dunno man." (Drinks more beer.)