topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 2:23 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Cintanotes at Bitsdujour (soon!)  (Read 7337 times)

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Cintanotes at Bitsdujour (soon!)
« on: May 29, 2012, 08:03 PM »
A little bird told me that Cintanotes is going to be on special at Bitsdujour pretty soon.
http://www.bitsdujou...software/cintanotes/
I found the initial price to be a very good deal (to not say "giveaway").
Apparently they will be increasing to $25 next time around.

flamerz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Cintanotes at Bitsdujour (soon!)
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 12:50 PM »
25? wow.. with a yearly renew cintanotes will be pricey  :-\

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 12:54 PM »
Well, it depends on what new features come with it.
At this time of the game, i wouldn't imagine it more than $14.95

highend01

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 02:36 PM »
Mh, there is Evernote. Free (with a paid plan if you're a heavy user).
Why should I spend money for a note taking client that isn't even able to store pictures in a note? Hey, it's 2012, not 1990...

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 04:41 PM »
It all depends on what you want Cintanotes for.

Cintanotes is described on its site as:
A free, lightweight and user-friendly note taking application
(Which confuses me - why the paid licence then?)

If all you need is a note-taking tool, then it is one of many such tools.
I just checked for reference re Cintanotes on the discussion thread(s) at OutlinerSoftware.com for reference to Cintanotes, and on the crowd-sourced list maintained at EditGrid.
I updated the EditGrid list to include Cintanotes and that version reference and date (v1.6.1, 2012-04-24).

From what I found after evaluating Cintanotes some time back, it was a reasonably useful tool for note-taking (what it was designed for), but the current version being unable to incorporate images would seem to be an increasingly severe limitation for such applications in this day and age. The invention of the iPad has probably forced this into the public awareness.
@highend01 makes a similar point in a comparison with Evernote, in his comment mediately above.

For example, the mandatory (must-have) requirements that I currently place on PIMs (Personal Information Management tools) include:
  • the ability to flexibly incorporate RTF, HTML and images.
  • the ability to treat any text in those images as OCRed and searchable data.

The only desktop tool that I have so far encountered (and I've looked at all of those in the EditPad list, and some others not on the list) that meets these 2 criteria is Microsoft's OneNote. As regards OCR, OneNote makes a seriously good job of capturing text from any image with text in it, and immediately and intelligently incorporates that text into searches.

You can also select any image in OneNote and copy all text in the image to the Clipboard, to see the OCR'd data (which may have some unavoidable OCR scan errors in it). I now tend to photograph or scan important receipts, and sling them into OneNotes, so I can dispose of the paper. My primary record thus becomes the image, and I must have the capability to locate them by searching on the text they contain.

I think Evernote is the only cloud service that does the same (OCR text capture and search) for images. They probably know that this is currently a major competitive differential feature, which is presumably why they have so far carefully avoided enabling that capability in their desktop tool.
I rarely use Evernote though, because it does not meet my requirements. I need a desktop tool, but full Evernote functionality currently necessitates that you remain cloud-dependent to some extent, and I do not want that. It is lock-in.

(By the way, Qiqqa - which is a superb document and reference management system - provides a free tool that gives excellent OCR text capture and search, on the desktop, with cloud storage service if you want it. The constraint there is that, currently, the OCRed images have to be contained in .PDF files, but there is presumably no technical reason why they could not extend that to image files in general.)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 04:54 PM by IainB, Reason: Minor corrections. »

AbteriX

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 10:51 AM »
A little bird told me that Cintanotes is going to be on special at Bitsdujour pretty soon.
http://www.bitsdujou...software/cintanotes/

Today online

Some infos about CN on DCF:
https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=17701.0
https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=30718.0

« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 01:01 PM by AbteriX »

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 02:11 AM »
Hi,

My understanding is that CintaNotes has bold and background highlighting, but lacks most RTF ? And does not take images.

Images is a special aspect, and often I use Abbyy Screenshot Reader to get the text out of the images anyway (since that often needs hand-tweaking, I would not trust any auto-OCR, as may be in Evernote or Onenote).  So I can find good uses without images.

The lack of RTF would make it non-functional for personal notes that really are highlight oriented (e.g. ToDo type of stuff). You need to have the color to match and grab attention.

However, I could see Cintanotes being helpful for specific needs, a "quote repository" comes to mind, since I run into many quotes in research (a good number every day) that would be nice to keyword and text save.  Yet even there, quotes tend to have italics of some importance, such as when a quote references a book title, so that lack (if it is a lack) could be frustrating. When I go to "get" the quote, I generally want the full real thing.

I know the developer Alex is trying to upgrade some of these aspects, but I am not sure what qualifies where, in terms of future upgrades. Anyway, I generally do not get a program for future functionality, but for what it does today.

Could those who find CintaNotes especially helpful in a vertical way, with the limitations mentioned, give some ideas how they find it most useful ?

If you give some solid compelling examples, I will ask the developer for an extension of the big $5 discount for the DC thinkers and plodders :).

Interestingly, after all this heavy thinking, I see that CollectyCut (one of the alternatives mentioned in the other threads) actually advertises itself specifically as being quote oriented and has a similar look. However, overall, CintaNotes may well have some edges, not just price, but in the current features and ongoing development with forum, etc.  I should see if Zotero is a happy fit as well. The idea of simply an easy-use quote repository is appealing.

Steven
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 02:22 AM by Steven Avery »

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 05:31 AM »
Initially, i saw the program more of a quote taking one (a recommendation made to a friend).
With the latest version that allows you to open files straight out, it makes it even more enticing.

Personally, i've used it more for text clips from the web.
It saves url + text in one click.
No matter which browser i'm on; so it is handy.
The speed in finding data is unparalleled.

Waiting for SimpleNoteApp sync (it's on the approved list of items to be done).

Would like to see a Linux version (Wine fails to do the job for it).

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 05:48 PM »
...Waiting for SimpleNoteApp sync (it's on the approved list of items to be done).
Yes, that would be good, but I think Simplenote sync currently only seems to works on text, and strips out all but the text in the records - i.e., so no RTF, it seems. I found that out by chance whilst using a sticky notes type app that could save RTF and images - when I saved it via S/note sync, all the non-text was stripped out of my database. Oops. Fortunately, I was just trialling it, so no essential data was lost.

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 12:38 PM »
Cintanotes is on BitsduJour again tomorrow!

Not sure if they'll have their present beta version which syncs with SimpleNotes ready for the occasion,
but upgrades are free for a year so you'll get it sooner or later for sure!

They've also got tabs on board in this present beta time (and more), so it's a worthy investment (or gift).

:Thmbsup: