topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Wednesday April 24, 2024, 6:32 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: CintaNotes 1.6, 10 April 2012, goes "Freemium" (pay for extra features)  (Read 11041 times)

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Apr 10, 2012 — First Commercial Release! Version 1.6
License change notice: with this version, the licensing model changes to "Freemium". Basic functionality (which covers all features of version 1.5.7) continues to be free, but the new commercial features require buying a Personal or Company license.

* Multiple notebooks support. (Commercial) Feature

CintaNotes now has the "File/Open" and "File/Save As..." commands, and also has the recently opened files list to easily switch between different DB files. The name of the currently opened DB file is displayed in the main window title (unless it is "cintanotes.db").
    * Ctrl+Enter shortcut to paste note text into currently active application. (Commercial)Feature
    * Exporting notes to HTML format. (Commercial)Feature
    * Tag sidebar can now display tag usage counts. (Commercial)Feature

This allows you to easily see which tags are underused and can be merged or removed. Tag count display can be turned off in Options/Tags menu.
    * Unified and consistent search behavior: Search behavior is now unified and consistent. "Exact search" mode has been removed. Instead there's an option to search inside words. Now you can always use the logical operators: space as AND and '|' as ORFeature

If you need to search for an exact quote, put it in doublequotes, like this: "to be or not to be".
    * Support for mixed case tags.Feature
    * "Cut" command for notes, and custom clipboard format to transfer notes from one notebook to another while keeping text formatting.Feature
    * New "Help/License" dialog to manage product licensing: The dialog includes ability to automatically fill licensing data from clipboard and also via clipping.Feature
    * Tag sidebar can now be resized with the mouse.Enhancement
    * New Options/Tags submenu to configure tagging options.Enhancement
    * New option: "Options/Clipping/After Clipping/Assign currently active tags"Enhancement

When this option is on, newly clipped notes are automatically assigned tags which are currently selected on the Tag Sidebar.
    * Note editor: Alt+C now works as shortcut for "Cancel".Enhancement
    * Ctrl+U shortcut for displaying untagged notes.Enhancement
    * Last used export format is now remembered in settings.Enhancement
    * Main menu reorganization. "Note Appearance" menu item moved to the Options menu.Enhancement
    * The executable is now signed with a digital signature.Enhancement
    * Proper metadata and version information in the executable.Enhancement
    * Note export dialog now includes the "Export scope" groupbox.Enhancement
    * Ctrl+Home/End in search box to focus note list and go to first/last note.Enhancement
    * Eliminated possibility of painting artefacts on window maximization.Fix
    * Full-text search was not working for East-Asian languages.Fix
    * Searching for "-a" lead to a "Malformed MATCH expression" error.Fix
    * Search could produce wrong results if query contained punctiation or delimiter characters.Fix
    * Copy/pasting note in the notes list lost text formatting.Fix
    * Pasting text in main window didn't recognize links.Fix
    * Removed redundant formatting tags in exported XML file.Fix
    * Non-ASCII characters in page URLs were corrupted on clipping.Fix
    * USB stick could not be safely removed after note import or export.Fix
    * Restoring focus after clipping was not working in Opera.Fix
    * Note editor: wrong window position after being mazimized.Fix
    * Note editor: lower pane height changed on Ctrl+S.Fix
    * Note editor: applying formatting cleared existing formatting.Fix
    * Note editor: pressing Enter twice didn't cancel bulleted and numbered lists.Fix
    * Note editor: Undo behavior was incorrect after pasting text from clipboard.Fix
    * Note editor: pressing F7 when Link is empty opened Windows Explorer.Fix

Personal license is $9.99, more for commercial license, one year of free updates included.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Roadmap too!  :P

This program is right next to FARR on my list of must programs to install.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Still too simplistic looking for me - it seems to stack all the notes into one giant heap.

And I can't seem to test out the HTML export *before* paying the license fee, so this is a no go for me.

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Well, the html file is really basic. All in one with all the hyperlinks you had in CN intact.

Of course, the program in itself is really simple but when you can capture a url + text in one click and then search your whole database super fast without worrying about where you saved it, that is pretty darn good for me.  :-*
I remember a friend who would place all his paper work in one pile.
He knew pretty well where everything was much better than myself who tried to keep things "tidy".
IMO, the tagging part of CN helps to satisfy that "tidy" part of people (me included).

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi,

The last week, I have been comparing various notes and sticky programs, Ubernote, Internote, WebNote, QuotePad (CintaNotes copycat), NoteZilla, Stickies, with the idea of being more net oriented where sensible (e.g. Ubernote so far beats Zoho and Springnote on ease of use and comfortable and quick editing, even if weaker in page overviews).

CintaNotes looked very good in some ways, except that it was in between everything. If I remember it did not have a sticky aspect AND it did not have an RTF editing aspect.  (Just colors for a note, stuff like that.)  Also, it did not have an elegant notebook (perhaps explorer-style) page system, as mentioned above, more like a heap.

It is very possible that I am missing something in these lacks. I'd like to have a good reason to give it a go, so please let me know where it shines, and what I am missing above.

Incidentally, on web-page stickies, Internotes is winning, despite its primitive editing.  It is smart about domains, while Stickies and NoteZilla are dumbos, working with the Windows function for open windows (fergot the name offhand). However they are very good for desktop and attaching to a program, just not a web-page.

Thanks.

Steven
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 02:14 PM by Steven Avery »

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Phew! Looks like you've tested them all!  8)

Personally, i really liked NoteZilla and was willing to keep on payin' for upgrades but they've been idle for quite some time now.
Ubernote is fast like the name says but it too has been sitting idle for quite some time too. Don't want to invest in that now do we?

There's EssentialPIM that offers a "stickies" kind of option but my overall feel for the program is lukewarm.

I like CintaNotes for its simplicity, ease to configure, small footprint, good support and promising future.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I use notesholder and am pretty happy with it after testing quite a few.

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi,

On Notesholder, the tabbed categories looks very nice, but I do not not see any attachment to specific Windows, like your utility program opened.  That is a big part of my sticky use, potentially, to keep an ongoing note for each program.  When it opens, the note comes up and says hi.

Steven

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
^ Ah.  I don't use that functionality, so I didn't even think of that use.  I don't believe it does that, though I'm not sure.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi,

On Notesholder, the tabbed categories looks very nice, but I do not not see any attachment to specific Windows, like your utility program opened.  That is a big part of my sticky use, potentially, to keep an ongoing note for each program.  When it opens, the note comes up and says hi.

Steven
-Steven Avery (April 23, 2012, 02:59 AM)

I think that feature is only in a few of the notes-holder programs. The only one I've heard of doing that (and much more bare metal) is Anand's Stick A Note from here, though it doesn't hold notes at all, more like "pops them out of thin air when they matter". It's a clever app, though I simply haven't used it much just out of inertia.

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
One of the main advantages of the CintaNotes paid version is the ability to create new database files.
The ability to sync with Dropbox (or others) makes it an interesting program to have.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
QuotePad (CintaNotes copycat)
-Steven Avery (April 22, 2012, 01:57 PM)
QuotePad is a re-branding of Notesholder Lite.  I think it came before CintaNotes, but the latter now seems to me the better program.  It doesn't have reminders, but the reminders in Notesholder drove me round the bend.

CintaNotes looked very good in some ways, except that it was in between everything.
-Steven Avery (April 22, 2012, 01:57 PM)
You're wanting an altogether heavier-weight program.  CintaNotes is like EverNote Light; small, fast, easy to use, fuss-free, portable if required, capable free version.  Those are its strengths.

johnk

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
CintaNotes due on BDJ soon at 50% discount...