topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:58 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Drag files from menu / dock  (Read 6286 times)

xpi3000

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Drag files from menu / dock
« on: April 11, 2012, 03:33 PM »
Another bummer would be to have the possibility to drag items from a dock menu or even from a node.

What i miss while working is to have a central visible place from where i can drag my links and files to various browsers/programs.

And also the possibility to drag a program (node) into workspace for starting some work.
Example: hence a notepad++ node. When i drag it from dock onto the current page in browser it will gather for source code.
Or dragging photoshop node on a file in windows explorer/other file manager will select it on mouse release (i know thats a big one).

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Drag files from menu / dock
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 07:27 PM »
I'm not sure I understand.  I can drag a file from my file manager onto my Photoshop icon, and it will open the file in Photoshop.  I have a stack of program icons on the right edge of my left-hand monitor for just that purpose.  I think that's the opposite direction from what you're asking (drag the file onto the program, instead of drag the program onto the file) but is that significant?

vi vi vi - editor of the beast

xpi3000

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 12:20 PM »
I'm not sure I understand.  I can drag a file from my file manager onto my Photoshop icon, and it will open the file in Photoshop.  I have a stack of program icons on the right edge of my left-hand monitor for just that purpose.  I think that's the opposite direction from what you're asking (drag the file onto the program, instead of drag the program onto the file) but is that significant?
there are two cases where dragging a node make sense.
hence you have a dock with bookmarks only and you have multiple accounts on the interweb. then it would come in quite handy to simply drag a bookmark node on the related browser window. while developing i very often have to check the same link in different browsers.
so instead of maintaining the same bookmarks in all browsers i would simply drag the bookmark from my central bookmark dock.

second case: working with lots of graphics or other often used documents.
some screenshot programs and programming tools have the functionality for dragging a finder on a target for further processing.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 12:41 PM »
i can see why that might be a nice feature.. i'll have to think about how easy it would be to do.

xpi3000

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 01:42 PM »
i can see why that might be a nice feature.. i'll have to think about how easy it would be to do.
:-*