topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:09 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: yet another file manager thread...  (Read 32303 times)

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: yet another file manager thread...
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2012, 04:33 AM »
Conc. "easy way to zoom in and move around the image" XY has its famous "Mouse Down Blow Up" (mouse down on thumbnails pops the image in original size and "move-aroundable"). I have never seen anything better anywhere.

It is certainly not bad :Thmbsup:.

Would it be possible to have the mouse wheel zoom in and out in MDBU mode?
Could there be a zoom on click option in the full screen preview?
2-up and 4-up full screen preview with zoom to compare images?
Support for image formats that do not have a default handler, like RAW images? (since this is the portable file manager)

DonL

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • XYplorer File Manager
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2012, 05:25 AM »
Conc. "easy way to zoom in and move around the image" XY has its famous "Mouse Down Blow Up" (mouse down on thumbnails pops the image in original size and "move-aroundable"). I have never seen anything better anywhere.

It is certainly not bad :Thmbsup:.

Would it be possible to have the mouse wheel zoom in and out in MDBU mode?
Could there be a zoom on click option in the full screen preview?
2-up and 4-up full screen preview with zoom to compare images?
Support for image formats that do not have a default handler, like RAW images? (since this is the portable file manager)
Can't say about RAW (the format of RAW is not always clear), but the rest would be technically possible.

jadinolf

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2012, 05:40 PM »
I'm about ready to spring for XYplorer.

Luckily, I have PowerDesk 8 working on Windows 7 64bit but I have noticed a few error warnings although it seems to be working.

I know that there is a Home version of XYplorer but have no idea if I can live with it. I don't need all of the features of Pro but what am I giving up if I select home?

Any experts out there?

Thanks
Printed on 100% recycled bytes

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2012, 06:47 PM »
i really like XYplorer. It's a fast, feature-full no-nonsense file explorer.
You can find the differences between the Pro and Home versions here: http://www.xyplorer.com/features.php.
Also, you can download the trial and test both of them (the trial version can also emulate the home version)!

jadinolf

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2012, 11:57 PM »
i really like XYplorer. It's a fast, feature-full no-nonsense file explorer.
You can find the differences between the Pro and Home versions here: http://www.xyplorer.com/features.php.
Also, you can download the trial and test both of them (the trial version can also emulate the home version)!

Thanks for that. I am already trying the Pro version but it's probably more than I need. I'll give the Home version a try.

Really appreciated.

jadinolf

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2012, 12:10 AM »
Home edition looks fine to me.

Thanks again.

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2012, 07:09 PM »
I had bought recently with BitsDuJour help and been trying to use only this for couple of days and I must say: it takes me back to Total Commander more and more each day.

One of the reason, obviously, is the fact of being long time TC user (10 years?), second is - lack of features I need like:

• custom columns - XY has 12, Windows Explorer 41, TC hundreds; I can switch between saved list view configurations any way I like,
  • previews and thumbnails for lot more filetypes than standard explorer can handle; I admit TC has WLX plugins (MultiLister is the best here) but it can also call XnView or IrfanView via WM messages to get data from them,
  • no freezes on large directories - if directory contains dozen of executables XY freezes (I have antivirus exclusions for it already), if there are non-standard (i.e. PDFs) thumbs… freezes again; can't it load thumbs/icons in background and cache them?
  • TC can browse inside archives while XY calls WinRAR; couldn't it support ZIP and RAR at least?
  • and if I click on thumbnail it would be nice to have it selected, not only the file name which gets unseen between dozen of thumbs.
OK, enough complaining for today ;)

Something in plus: mini tree view is just awesome and it would be even better to have it implemented with list properties like these:
http://www.codeproje...reeView-with-Columns
http://www.codeproje...ced-TreeView-for-NET
http://www.codeproje...3/A-TreeList-Control

Another idea: more Excel-like features for files list and you have a winner.

DonL

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • XYplorer File Manager
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2012, 10:14 AM »
... if directory contains dozen of executables XY freezes (I have antivirus exclusions for it already)...
-fenixproductions (September 11, 2012, 07:09 PM)
If XY is not super-fast something is wrong. Maybe you forgot MSE? You're not the only one, see this:
http://www.xyplorer....c.php?p=76573#p76573

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2012, 11:10 AM »
... if directory contains dozen of executables XY freezes (I have antivirus exclusions for it already)...
If XY is not super-fast something is wrong. Maybe you forgot MSE? You're not the only one, see this:
Ugh, your advice is to add MSE exclusions? O_o

For what it's worth, MSE doesn't seem to bog down xyplorer here, win7-x64-SP1 with MSE 4.0.1526.0 - it starts very snappily indeed. Only tested the trial xyplorer_full_noinstall.zip. Doesn't look like there's any stupid exe compression or other stuff that would slow down MSE, so sounds a bit weird.
- carpe noctem

DonL

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • XYplorer File Manager
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2012, 11:17 AM »
Ugh, your advice is to add MSE exclusions? O_o

For what it's worth, MSE doesn't seem to bog down xyplorer here, win7-x64-SP1 with MSE 4.0.1526.0 - it starts very snappily indeed. Only tested the trial xyplorer_full_noinstall.zip. Doesn't look like there's any stupid exe compression or other stuff that would slow down MSE, so sounds a bit weird.

Most users indeed never have a speed problem to begin with, but I have a couple of users where the "MSE trick" definitely helped dramatically. There must be some unknown factor... weird.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2012, 11:23 AM »
Any things those users have in common?

Stuff like OS Version, MSE version (there's (obviously, perhaps :)) been some engine changes, but I'm not sure MSE updated automatically from version-whatever to version-bignewchanges, even though it does auto-updates of signatures), and perhaps custom explorer shell extensions?

The only time I've seen MSE incur a noticeable speed hit is with some compressed or otherwise protected executables - when that happens, I get delays in the more-than-a-second range, even on my (pretty darn fast) i7-3770 - don't have a noticeable speed hit on normal executables, even those in the multi-megabyte range.
- carpe noctem

DonL

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • XYplorer File Manager
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2012, 11:28 AM »
Any things those users have in common?

Stuff like OS Version, MSE version (there's (obviously, perhaps :)) been some engine changes, but I'm not sure MSE updated automatically from version-whatever to version-bignewchanges, even though it does auto-updates of signatures), and perhaps custom explorer shell extensions?

The only time I've seen MSE incur a noticeable speed hit is with some compressed or otherwise protected executables - when that happens, I get delays in the more-than-a-second range, even on my (pretty darn fast) i7-3770 - don't have a noticeable speed hit on normal executables, even those in the multi-megabyte range.
Any things those users have in common? The right question but hard to answer. I think I had around 5 such cases in the last years, not too many to run a dragnet investigation... :)

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2012, 11:54 AM »
While Don is around I will ask one of those questions all developers hate  :-[

zip, rar support any closer? thanks

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2012, 12:23 PM »

My personal guess is that it is because XYplorer is single-threaded, so if anything at all interrupts reading icons or other information from the files as they are displayed, the entire interface locks up. The problem is XY is written in VB6 which does not really support multi-threading. Other file managers like TC and DO do not have this issue.

On some sytems this is not a big problem, on the three machines I have here, I can go get a cup of coffee if I browse to the wrong folder.

Oh and the archive support .. don't get me started :-[.

DonL

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • XYplorer File Manager
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2012, 12:50 PM »
While Don is around I will ask one of those questions all developers hate  :-[

Last time I looked it was on the roadmap.

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2012, 12:55 PM »
@DonL
I will not install MSE just to disable XY in it ;)

@Jibz
I also think this may be multi-threading issue.
Even my own applications were freezing single-threaded (BBCeditor has parsing engine runnig in separate thread and Comparer is getting thumbnails from explorer/plugins same way).

BTW TC was behaving in the same way for folders with a lot of icons/thumbnails. It stopped with one update, after Ghisler had made some functions to work in background.

DonL

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • XYplorer File Manager
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2012, 01:18 PM »
@DonL
I will not install MSE just to disable XY in it ;)

@Jibz
I also think this may be multi-threading issue.
Even my own applications were freezing single-threaded (BBCeditor has parsing engine runnig in separate thread and Comparer is getting thumbnails from explorer/plugins same way).

BTW TC was behaving in the same way for folders with a lot of icons/thumbnails. It stopped with one update, after Ghisler had made some functions to work in background.
-fenixproductions (September 13, 2012, 12:55 PM)
It's not the icons. This is long solved. Don't forget: For the great majority of users XY is super-fast.

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2012, 01:40 PM »
Just stumbled upon this thread, i want to give my opinion too, i prefer program's or application : in this case being a file manger, that would consume
little or very less memory, i have used not a huge but quite a few good ones like q-dir which consumed around 8 mb Dopus around 60 mb, xyplorer around 4 mb no matter if i do a copy paste of a huge file . The least was Total commander, around 2 mb but i still can't get it to understand why people llike it so much. Especially power users, as they say... ::)

I use xyplorer and the tab feature makes it really easy if i want to do a copy paste or extract or move things with an external device attached, that is one thing i really like: single reason i use x yplorer.
Besides that i don't use xyplorer or any other file manager.

But xyplorer is good :)
ClipDiary 5.3/ Smadav 2018/ Some Sense

widgewunner

• Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2012, 10:52 AM »
I can't imagine working without my beloved ZTreeWin. If you're keyboard freak like me, I bet nothing can beat it regarding the speed and effectiveness of work. I'm bringing it everywhere with me on a flash disk.

The new upcoming version (at the moment in beta), includes mode for bulk managing directories. Definitely worth trying!

ZTreeWin +1

Lutz_

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2012, 10:31 PM »
An interactive addressbar (aka navigable breadcrumbs) would be very appreciated in XYplorer
- the best breadcrumb implementation I remember is in  Ac Browser Plus (one can intuitively navigate through the entire file system).

While Don is around I will ask one of those questions all developers hate  :-[

Last time I looked it was on the roadmap.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2012, 10:44 PM »
Ac Browser Plus is/was one of my faves, unfortunately abandoned

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2012, 12:29 AM »
Xplorer2 all the way.  I loved it and still install it on every Windows computer I am entrusted with when file management is a part of my job.  Tree on the side and two panes with full line selection turned off and a decent set of bookmarks and dancing through the file system is a breeze.

If only there were a comparable one for Linux, I'd be ecstatically pleased.  There are lots of Explorer clones (list or tree on the side and one pane), a few with two panes and no tree, but none with a tree and two panes. If I ever get free time to actually learn some programming (tried at least a hundred times...) my first project will be an Xplorer2 clone for Linux.

P.S. Tried running Xplorer2 on Wine, a bit disappointing as some of the functions didn't work correctly (big surprise), so no go that route.