topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 10:33 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: best WYSIWYG html editor  (Read 24117 times)

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
best WYSIWYG html editor
« on: March 25, 2012, 06:08 AM »
hello!

which would consider the best WYSIWYG html editor?

I used to use Dreamweaver in the past (where it belonged to Macromedia), but it's been some time since I edited html

thanks!

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: best WYSIWYG html editor
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 08:11 AM »
If you want to make sites that way: still dreamweaver.
Alternatively you can try Microsoft Expression Web, it's quite good from what I can tell (not used it myself).

If you want to make better sites: gradually switch to Dreamweavers code view or switch to a good programming editor such as Sublime Text, or HTML Kit even.
If you write html content, learn markdown as it is faster and plain text and converts into html. I've written an online markdown editor, but there are many.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 08:24 AM »
if your page must look good in devices as well, also try the brand new and free Adobe Shadow

>>We have a brand new tool to share: Adobe Shadow Labs release 1 is here!! A new tool that improves web designers and developers mobile workflows, syncs multiple devices together and allows remote inspection all at once. A huge time and money-saver. Mobile Relief has arrived. DOWNLOAD for FREE at Adobe Labs! http://adobe.ly/xHZ6gl <<

>A new inspection and preview tool that allows front-end web developers and designers to work faster and more efficiently by streamlining the previews and customization of websites for mobile devices<

Adobe Shadow | preview mobile web - Adobe Labs

2012-03-25_152604.gif
-Adobe Dreamweaver

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 12:34 PM »
^ Shadow isn't a WYSIWYG html editor.  It looks cool... but that's a topic for a different discussion.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 01:28 PM »
Your two basic choices are Adobe Dreamweaver and Microsoft Expression. (There's also KompoZer for Linux - which really needs to be considered a late beta product.)

FWIW both MS Expression and Dreamweaver have fairly steep learning curves before you can use them effectively. So they're not exactly something that you can just sit down with and bang out webpages. Well...you can...but you'll soon regret it if you don't understand how those products work - and don't see things the way they do.

My feeling is you'd be far better off immersing yourself in HTML and CSS until you understand how they actually work (on a code level) before you try out anything that automates the process for  you. Neither is difficult to understand or hard to learn.

WYSIWYG web tools may be fine for a professional developer. But for a beginner or novice they'll probably be more confusing than helpful.

So my advice is forget WYSIWYG and get yourself a good book or two, plus a text editor you can work with, and have at it.

WYSIWYG is intrinsically limited by what the creators of the app thought somebody might want to do with it. Writing the code yourself (or copying/modifying/pasting somebody else's code) takes you beyond what a code generator (which is what WYSIWYG actually is) is capable of - no matter how powerful it may be. Writing HTML/CSS code is more WYGIWYI (What You Get is What You Imagine).

So what 's the best WYSIWYG HTML editor?

My answer: The best is a person who understands HTML and CSS code.

Because at the end of the day, that person always has their webpages come out exactly the way they want them to.
 :)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 06:23 PM »
^ True in most cases, but IME it also depends on what you're planning to develop for.  If this is just an adjunct to what you're doing, then there are a few alternatives.  But if its truly to that level, then its come to the point that developing in that way is more trouble than its worth; you might as well look at a blogging or CMS platform.  So that brings it back to if you're developing, Microsoft Expression or Dreamweaver are the best products out there for WYSIWYG HTML development, though even those leave something to be desired in the code in the background - their code is fragile and very likely to break if you do anything by hand.

A couple of links:

Lifehacker Five Best WYSIWYG Editors

25 Useful WYSIWYG Editors Reviewed

mrainey

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Website
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 07:19 PM »
I highly recommend this one.

http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/
Software For Metalworking
http://closetolerancesoftware.com

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 04:21 PM »
The best WYSIWYG editor is an editor without WYSIWYG.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 12:03 AM »
The best WYSIWYG editor is an editor without WYSIWYG.

Hahahah~!

And +1~!

I like to code in a text editor, then preview in a browser. Most of the time that's faster & easier than using a WSYIWIG editor.

Mind you, I also get lazy and create tables or some structures in a WSYIWIG editor (Dreamweaver) then clean it up in a text editor before putting it into my own code. Just faster & easier that way.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 12:04 AM by Renegade, Reason: Typo »

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 03:52 AM »
You still use tables? Typical WYSIWYG user. :P

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 04:09 AM »
You still use tables? Typical WYSIWYG user. :P

For tabular data, of course. ;)

flamerz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 04:23 AM »
do you know this one?

can make decent websites: http://www.websiterealizer.com/

i use it for fast prototiping :)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 04:40 AM »
One of the things that you really need a browser for is to actually see the DOM as it is rendered. e.g. If you put the page into a JavaScript document.write statement, then you can't see that content until it runs. Opera and Chrome have excellent built in tools for seeing the DOM. IE and FF also have them.

The debuggers are ok, but kind of sucky if you're used to the more powerful ones that you get with an IDE like VS or Borland Studio or whatever.

Those kinds of things I haven't seen done well in a WYSIWYG editor. Or at least not well enough to make me attempt to continue to use them for more than a minute of pain.

Oh, and +1 for Stylizer. Very nice to use.

olamoree

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 10:51 PM »
Hi Gang, I have been selected to put up a web site for our Neighborhood Association (in Spanish) and altho I have very little experience and even less time to spend on it, I have been told to use something that the President can add to, like meeting announcements on Page 1 that he could email to the site.  I have looked around and seem to feel that WordPress would be the better choice for us.  It needs to have a front page with the latest news, it also needs a Forum where Registered visitors can ask and comment.  It also needs a Data Base for correspondence to and from the Association that is only available to members (via password, I would expect) and a General Data base where we could put documents from the City that affect our work and progress.  It also requires a Photo Album section open to all.  Not an easy task as I suspect.

I just happen to have the necessary hosting space described as "unlimited sites and unlimited storage and traffic" which I pay for in 4 year chunks (but seldom use to its extent)

But there are some inconveniences.... some of the folks accessing the site would do so only with DialUp (and yes, it still exists here in balmy Costa Rica) so no sexy Flash stuff on the basic pages as the wait might discourage their participation and Participation is what we want.

I am wide open to any suggestions that anyone wants to make.  Thanks.

jshare

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • JobMob
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2012, 02:08 AM »
BlueGriffon, formerly Kompozer, formerly NVU. Gets the job done well, although I have very basic needs.

Antonimo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2012, 06:35 AM »
HTMLKit is good, but you can't beat a text editor with a few extra features. I use PSPad (save direct to FTP, syntax highlighting, code cleanup etc.)

BlueGriffon is good, but BlueGriffin charges for plugins that do the useful bits.

Amaya is still a good editor and is my favourite free WYSIWWG editor - http://www.w3.org/Amaya/

parttimecoder

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Donation code is cool!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2012, 08:32 AM »
Hi All

I have recently needed put up a basic informational Web Site. I have in the past, used Dreamweaver, Expression Web, Front Page, NVU, etc. I have used WordPress, Joomla, Drupal in the past. I also put up a site using the Concrete5 Open source framework.

Being that I only do Web design from time to time, I wanted to use a WYSIWYG program and just get it done, without having to deal with HTML, CSS etc... So I tried out Xara Web Designer, Corel Web Site Designer and WYSIWYG Web Builder. I settled for WYSIWYG Web Builder. While some may dislike the absolute positioning code it generates, it can be used to generate a website with pixel perfect layout that renders well in all browsers and devices. The program includes the ability to add your own html (Xara does not). For the reasonable price of $45.00 this program does not fail to impress this software junkie.

This package is so full of features that it's hard to believe it's less that a 10 Mb download. It includes an extension capability with many extensions already available and over 250 from other users.

They do have a trial download that will generate a full website with only a small logo at the bottom of the page (which can be removed from the generated HTML). They also have a forum for it's users. 

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2012, 12:50 PM »
HTMLKit is good, but you can't beat a text editor with a few extra features.
That's why I gave up on looking for good WYSIWYG.

Of course, I need to use Dreamweaver at work but it just builds up my anger each day.
Little more complaints

mrainey

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Website
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2012, 09:24 PM »
I settled for WYSIWYG Web Builder.

Not only is the software excellent, but the developer gives top-notch support (he apparently never sleeps).  The forum is quite active and full of helpful users.  Free updates appear regularly and a new major version seems to show up about once a year, at half-price for current license holders..
Software For Metalworking
http://closetolerancesoftware.com