topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:35 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Flash not working in firefox. Some web addresses are inaccessible. Why?  (Read 5650 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
So i've been having a weird problem lately, and I have no idea what's going on.  First, Flash is not really working in firefox anymore for me.  I've tried installing and reinstalling it dozens of times.  Youtube still works occasionally, but it's flaky.  Things like menu popouts don't work anymore (like on ESPN).

I keep getting the message from firefox to install the flash plugin.  but it doesn't work, i get the following screen:
Screenshot - 3_2_2012 , 7_37_23 PM.pngFlash not working in firefox.  Some web addresses are inaccessible.  Why?

I really don't get it at all.  I remember a couple of other websites don't work anymore either, with the same message.  But the same websites work fine in my virtual machine on the SAME computer.  So something about my desktop system is screwed up.  I checked my hosts file to see if anything was hijacked, but everything is fine there.  I went into my device manager and checked out the network adapters, and they were fine (except for the fact that I had 20 devices in the network adapters  :tellme: ??).

So I've reached the end of my knowledge base.  i need help.  It's annoying enough where I may consider reinstalling windows.  but i hope not.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
See if it will update by way of your addons manager-plugins.
I had the latest flash plugin, and it still wanted to update through here.
And it did do an update.... ;)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
See if it will update by way of your addons manager-plugins.
I had the latest flash plugin, and it still wanted to update through here.
And it did do an update.... ;)
Yeah, I've tried that.  It's not that.  It's some kind of network problem...DNS...something is blocking the access from the Windows to the website.  Like I said, even a VM on the same computer can access it, so it's some kind of settings issue.  All other computers on my network can also access the sites.  I've been messing around a LOT with all these things I'm trying to do to turn my desktop into a cloud computing center...so I'm sure I gorkked something along the way.  That's what I do!

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Before reinstalling windows, you might just do FF.
Perhaps even deleting settings and preferences.
Or backup to an older version of FF, and see if it works.

http://www.filehippo...om/download_firefox/

Also I was thinking your graphics card may need updating.
My guesswork anyway...

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'll try the graphics card.  But I really think the problem is that there are certain websites (I don't know which ones...not their exact addresses).  Like, that page in the flash install wizard shown in the first post...something is blocking access to that licensing page.  If I fix that, I'm pretty sure that will fix the problem.  I also think my 20 network adapters might be a problem.

I've tried reinstalling firefox and flash every which way possible at this point.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
And by the way...on adobe's website, why are there multiple places and ways to download the flash installer?  I must have encountered 4 different ways already to get it, all on adobe's official pages.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hey!  It works now!  The newest place where I downloaded the installer finally did it.  I have no idea why this is the right one, or why this installation worked and the other dozen times I tried didn't.  i don't even know why it wasn't working in the first place.  Frankly, I don't understand why there is this "race" for new versions of browsers.  Was a contest announced to see who can get to the highest version before the Mayan calendar ends?  Highest version wins!
Screenshot - 3_3_2012 , 7_05_24 PM.png