topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 4:37 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: So, it has come to this. Pick an ecosystem -- Google, Microsoft, or Apple  (Read 4303 times)

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
g-ms-ap-005.jpg
It seems that consumer computing for the masses has effectively been reduced to the user picking an ecosystem -- either Google, Microsoft, or Apple. Once chosen, it will take you seven attempts* to leave, if you ever do. And to think, just a few years ago, it felt like we had it all. Now we're all dependent little corporate whores, like it or not. (I don't like it because someone else is in control.)

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
*I just pulled that number out of the sky.

Whew - I was afraid you might have pulled it out of somewhere else!

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Who of these three's cloud was that? :P

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Whew - I was afraid you might have pulled it out of somewhere else!

It is a bit smelly...  ;)

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
And to think, just a few years ago, it felt like we had it all. Now we're all dependent little corporate whores, like it or not.

A few years ago the choice was simpler. You chose either the Microsoft or Apple eco-system unless, of course, you went off the grid with Linux or a BSD variant.

Or, since you include Google, are you talking about smart-phone/PDA eco-systems? In that case, a few years ago your choices were RIM, Palm, or Symbian.

I guess I'm not understanding the motivation of the OP. Corporations have always tried to lasso consumers into their eco-system. It's just these days the cast of characters is a little different than the ones of days gone by.

tl;dr....same ole, umm...stuff, different day.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I think the possibilities created by something like Rasberry Pi in conjunction with Linux will be the only alternatives available if you don't want to buy into somebody's walled garden not too long from now.

But once that happens, the next step will be to get Linux and FOSS outlawed by locking down ALL hardware.

The easiest way to do that would be by requiring all computing equipment that can access a network be required to have a DRM chip. And then set conditions such that the Linux hardware world wouldn't be allowed to obtain one. The government may not (currently) have the legal authority to simply stop someone from designing and building an open computer. But they can prevent them from selling or deploying it of it doesn't conform with some other crazy law.

And lest you think it impossible, look at what happened when manufacturers attempted to introduce DAT tape recorder/players to the US market. Media franchises raised such a ruckus, and so much pressure was placed on importers and distributors, that DAT was effectively blocked from US consumers - despite the fact there was nothing illegal about owning or using one. Not that it didn't stop the recording industry from spreading widespread FUD through a disinformation campaign that it somehow was illegal. And it worked. Virtually nobody in the US would sell you a DAT tape system "just in case."

Of course once hardware is locked - and alternative platforms prevented from being deployed - then you will only have your choice of Microsoft, Apple - or everybody's favorite Judas: Google/Ubuntu.

Figure this will happen within the next 10-15 years since they've already 'educated"' most of our next generation to 'not care' about any of this.

Nothing sadder than seeing a genuine mechanism for liberty and freedom get crushed by corporate greed on one side, and public indifference on the other.

So it goes. :-\