topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:28 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: PowerArchiver today on BitsDuJour  (Read 5552 times)

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
PowerArchiver today on BitsDuJour
« on: February 09, 2012, 09:47 AM »
One of the best archiving programs on the planet is available at BitsDuJour today at a steep discount. You have your choice of English-only and International versions. The International version has over 20+ translations translating both the program itself *and* the  help files.

They offer a true lifetime updates program (waves to Curt). When new versions are released you will be entitled to them free of charge. I've been using PowerArchiver since 2005 and nothing has been able to surpass it in my eyes.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: PowerArchiver today on BitsDuJour
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 11:50 AM »
hmm... I first purchased a license for PA via Ashampoo!! It was of course very cheap and without lifetime license, I assume, but did include the extra extension for Outlook. Later the PA company offered me to upgrade to PA 2011 with a #lifetime# license for €8.73 EUR, but the cart did not include the extension. Or maybe I just didn't understand how to do. I upgraded but have not (yet) installed any of them..., so I don't know if the Outlook thing will be accepted by version 2011 and newer.

I am surprised that you are so pleased with PowerArchiver. Being sold via Ashampoo, even if only for a day, I thought it would turn out to be something a la PowerDesk from Avanquest... So your recommendation is a pleasant surprise to me, Thank You!, Who knows, one day I might even install the program!

Edited: Oh, I misread the confirmation email. The Outlook plug-in is free.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 11:56 AM by Curt »

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 02:14 PM »
Well, to be honest, I never knew about the affiliation with Ashampoo until I was reading the comments on BitsDuJour. That's a very weird arrangement. I am not sure what it was supposed to accomplish. Hopefully, they'll refrain from doing business with that questionable company in the future.

The Outlook plugin (and the command line program) are free to registered users. I think there are nags if you don't have a valid PowerArchiver license.

The way I understand things, though, is that now that you have "upgraded" from the Ashampoo version you are now a <cough> "real" PowerArchiver owner & you are entitled to lifetime updates/upgrades from here on out.

Only thing you might want to do, Curt, is check and see what version you have a license for. There are three different product levels and you have to own Pro level or above to get the Outlook plugin & command-line program free.

$13.98 is a pittance & a lot cheaper than when I bought the "old" version of PowerArchiver Professional.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 03:21 PM »
The Outlook plugin (and the command line program) are free to registered users. I think there are nags if you don't have a valid PowerArchiver license.
I wish they made that clearer on the download page.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 05:02 PM »
my version is Toolbox without BitDefender, sort of a Pro+, the same as is offered today:

due to licensing restrictions today's PowerArchiver 2011 Toolbox promotin does not include BitDefender Internet Security. However, it can be purchased as a separate add-on via the PowerArchiver store.

http://www.bitsdujou...chiver-2011-toolbox/
-Bits du Jour

But I already have BitDefender Total Security from another offer or giveaway.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 05:07 PM »
I wish they made that clearer on the download page.

I think it's only really spelled out on pages that outline the differences in the different versions. However, if you are buying into the BitsDuJour special then rest easy in knowing you're getting their most full-featured version of the software & the Outlook plug-in is yours to use hassle-free.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 05:09 PM »
my version is Toolbox without BitDefender, sort of a Pro+, the same as is offered today:

Given my opinions on BitDefender I'd be more inclined to pay more for a version of any software that didn't include it over one that did.  ;D

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 09:11 PM »
Hi Folks,

Which tool is the most likely to be used, in some ways better than the current freewares, and thus justify the small expense ? Or is it the Zipadeedoodah stuff that cuts the mustard ?

Steven

NigelH

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 09:17 PM »
One thing that WinZip has that no other zip tool has (that I'm aware of), is the checkout feature.

FWIW, Nigel, PowerArchiver has the Checkout feature as well. Used to be every archiver in the land had that feature, but it seems it has gone the way of the dodo.

Thanks Innuendo

I use WinRAR for its speed and ease of use, but I also have the PowerArchiver Free version installed as well - They recently released a free version at http://www.powerarchiver.com/blog/2010/07/01/powerarchiver-free-happy-4th-of-july/ . On a less powerful system in my house, I have 7-Zip installed.

I saw a post in the BDJ comments that refer to the free version mentioned here by dhuser.
Of course, the download link for the free version is dead.

Well, guess what the "Internet Archive" has.