topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:19 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: ReImage: online Windows repair!  (Read 67417 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
ReImage: online Windows repair!
« on: February 09, 2012, 02:25 AM »
Edited: Usually System Restore can help to repair your Operating System. But what if the original restore backup has been corrupted? This is where I expect ReImage to be useful.
------------------------------

An advertisement in Windows Secret newsletter made me aware of Reimage.com: >>Reimage restores your Windows OS to its original potential, reversing corrupted files without harming personal data. Scanning your hardware and software, providing a full diagnosis, Reimage can then repair any damage, replace missing system files with the new ones from our database and restore compromised settings & registry values to their original default. Save 33% - for Windows Secrets Readers!<<  

The normal price is $70 / €53 for a year, so I have (of course) not yet tried it, even though I am tempted; my Vista is unstable.

Read http://www.reimagepl...om/how-does-it-work/ and http://www.reimageplus.com/what-it-fix/ to better understand what it does and doesn't.

The first downloaded file is a downloader. The downloaded setup goes directly to temp, so I don't know how big it may be, but it is merely a scanner. It is a little like the anti-malware / anti-virus scanners one can get from one of those companies we usually love to hate, but for one or the other reason I want to trust this one. Maybe I am being naive. The company is Reimage® R&D Center in Ramat Gan, Israel: http://www.reimagepl....com/about-the-team/

The scan resulted in this (click to enlarge):

2012-02-09_090557.gifReImage: online Windows repair!

Have any of you heard of or even tried this one, and have  say?  :tellme:

------------
Edited: the "get info" is hardwired to Internet Explorer.
------

info about price:

2012-02-09_093306.gif

« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 11:14 AM by Curt »

flamerz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: ReImage: online Windows repair!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 03:41 AM »
looks a bit step for me but the 3 year license looks better.

this is an image software that i highly recomend: http://www.terabyteu...imited.com/index.htm  (now nice bundle 40% with bootit too)

with image for linux i can restore my windows machine in 40 seconds :)

i suscribe to this post.. nice to see some comments about ReImage.

sorry my offtopic, just excited about this tool :)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 04:27 AM »
An advertisement in Windows Secret newsletter made me aware of Reimage.com: >>Reimage restores your Windows OS to its original potential, reversing corrupted files without harming personal data. Scanning your hardware and software, providing a full diagnosis, Reimage can then repair any damage, replace missing system files with the new ones from our database and restore compromised settings & registry values to their original default.

Isn't this what System Restore is supposed to do?

For 'original potential' I read that as 'working condition'. ;)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 08:07 AM »

Quite a lot of "you" guys have said that System Restore cannot be trusted.
And as the thumbnail picture shows, my second most often crashed program is: System Restore!

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 08:25 AM »
I read they have a 60 days refund policy.  So, after having read the small print, you may possibly try without a risk ?
.merle1.

db90h

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
  • Software Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Bitsum - Take control of your PC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 08:40 AM »
The question is one of implementation. If they did a good implementation, then they have potential. If they did a poor one, then they may screw up a lot of PCs in an attempt to 'restore' them. And, yes, this does, in many (or all) ways, overlap the features added in Vista to do this very thing.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 10:00 AM »
And, yes, this does, in many (or all) ways, overlap the features added in Vista to do this very thing.

-rubbish. System Restore will NEVER go online to replace or find files.

db90h

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
  • Software Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Bitsum - Take control of your PC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 10:02 AM »
And, yes, this does, in many (or all) ways, overlap the features added in Vista to do this very thing.

-rubbish. System Restore will NEVER go online to replace or find files.

It doesn't have to, it reserves a portion of your disk space to keep old copies. But, yes, I take back 'all'.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 10:50 AM »
-sorry! Because you have quoted me, it is too late for me to edit my previous post.

What you may not have noticed is, "my second most often crashed program is: System Restore!" AND "my Vista is unstable". I could also quote myself from two other threads: "using System Restore didn't help", AND "my original (Vista) backup has been corrupted".

You probably didn't know all this, and I ask for your forgiveness for assuming you did. For me, the important feature of ReImage is above all the abillity to go online and REPAIR my Vista. System Restore cannot do any of this, because my backup has been corrupted.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 11:03 AM by Curt »

ha14

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 11:44 AM »
The only way to find out is to try Reimage, but yearly license and no ability to use the soft without re-purchase/upgrade after one year, makes me wonder?

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 11:53 AM »
-you don't purchase a soft, but an online service.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 02:20 PM »
Awfully steep, IMHO, for something I *might* need.

Besides, if/when my OS install becomes "unstable" or "corrupted" I lose faith in the whole foundation its built upon and do a fresh format/restore. Windows 7 makes it a trivial affair to do an OS reinstall & it also has the side benefit of getting rid of all the file & registry orphans/cruft that's been lying about from old software I no longer need or installed to try & discovered wasn't right for me.

...and what if what's wrong with your OS is keeping you from getting online to access this tool? If your PC is crashing/rebooting before it gets to the desktop then the usefulness of this service is severely diminished.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 02:29 PM »
...and what if what's wrong with your OS is keeping you from getting online to access this tool? If your PC is crashing/rebooting before it gets to the desktop then the usefulness of this service is severely diminished.

We're on the same page ... First line of defense needs to be a bit closer at hand.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 02:54 PM »
I can see the attraction - even for a once off use - rather than reinstall (+ all programmes) or do a repair install (if that's even possible, still need to apply all updates afterwards).
Tom

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 05:04 PM »
We're on the same page ... First line of defense needs to be a bit closer at hand.

The other thing is the world is full of yahoos who *think* they know how to fix a computer & don't. Oh, they may 'mostly' fix it, but you are going to have troubles down the line.

Bottom line is I know what I'm doing to fix my PC. I don't know what nebulous web site in the cloud is doing to 'fix' my PC...especially if it's in the spirit of some mechanics leaving something half-fixed or broken so you are guaranteed to be a repeat customer in the future.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2012, 05:50 PM »

The other thing is the world is full of yahoos who *think* they know how to fix a computer & don't. Oh, they may 'mostly' fix it, but you are going to have troubles down the line.

Bottom line is I know what I'm doing to fix my PC. I don't know what nebulous web site in the cloud is doing to 'fix' my PC...especially if it's in the spirit of some mechanics leaving something half-fixed or broken so you are guaranteed to be a repeat customer in the future.

Nailed it!  :Thmbsup:

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2012, 07:20 PM »

Quite a lot of "you" guys have said that System Restore cannot be trusted.
And as the thumbnail picture shows, my second most often crashed program is: System Restore!

Sorry, skipped over the bit where you were specifically wanting something to repair your PC  :-[

FWIW, I agree with Innuendo and SJ above - a reinstall is the only real way to fix your problems.  Your system is already unstable, installing anything could possibly make it more unstable especially something that actively plays with the registry.

I know you don't have installation or recovery media but you do have a valid license for the OS.  In that situation I'd have no problems with obtaining just the media from anywhere, (something I have had to do with XP).

I postulate that you may find all the information you require to reconstruct a suitable installation media from the following links (all at MyDigitalLife):
Checksum values (Alternate link AnandTech)
OEM Certificates
Vista ISO  (Originally from MSDN)
How to combine the two  NOTE: You need a valid OS license key.
Save Vista Activation data (eHow link)

And of course, a complete OS image before you start playing around.

Mods, if you think this sails a little too close the the ACTA/SOPA/PIPA/MAFIAA wind, feel free to delete the post.

EDIT: SJ added the FixIt link while I was typing this, well DUH! on me, I completely forgot about that even though I have a flash drive with the portable version on  :-[
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 06:43 AM by 4wd »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2012, 10:19 PM »
EDIT:[/color] SJ added the FixIt link while I was typing this, well DUH! on me, I completely forgot about that even though I have a flash drive with the portable version on

Actually that was PhilB66 ... I didn't think of it either. :)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2012, 11:29 PM »
EDIT: SJ added the FixIt link while I was typing this, well DUH! on me, I completely forgot about that even though I have a flash drive with the portable version on

Actually that was PhilB66 ... I didn't think of it either. :)

Stupid me....apologies PhilB66  :-[

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2012, 09:39 AM »
looks a bit step for me but the 3 year license looks better.

this is an image software that i highly recomend: http://www.terabyteu...imited.com/index.htm  (now nice bundle 40% with bootit too)

I bought the terabyte software because it is so highly recommended. Never managed to use it, it's got such strange hoops one has to jump though to run it and it seems you need to boot off a license floppy thingie. I gave up, should actually have asked for a refund. Never installed or manage to run it.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2012, 10:57 AM »
I bought the terabyte software because it is so highly recommended. Never managed to use it, it's got such strange hoops one has to jump though to run it and it seems you need to boot off a license floppy thingie. I gave up, should actually have asked for a refund. Never installed or manage to run it.

Do people even use floppies anymore?

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2012, 11:22 AM »
The normal price is $70 / €53 for a year,

Now with a 20% discount.

To redeem this amazing offer please use this coupon code: con20

Yearly Unlimited $55.96
Yearly for 3 PC's $79.96
-ReImage

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2012, 02:21 AM »

Do people even use floppies anymore?

probably it can burn a CD by now... But this messing with your boot, installing a boot manager and hocus pocus around the key, well, it put me off. But somehow it needs to install something at the book layer. Software seems well aware of other OSes from their website, but still...

Boot thingies and partition level changes break machines. I am not doing this BEFORE I have made a backup copy.

Oh wait, I'm installing this so I can do a backup copy.

Ah, well, let me install some other backup tool first then...

And years later I remind myself how I bought this software untested and never got around to using it, and feel cheated.

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2012, 02:31 AM »
The normal price is $70 / €53 for a year,

Now with a 20% discount.

To redeem this amazing offer please use this coupon code: con20

Yearly Unlimited $55.96
Yearly for 3 PC's $79.96
-ReImage

If it does all these jobs it says, for a small office that is not a bad idea. but it's not that far from win7 upgrade price, no?

Looking at what it helpfully says for free, your main problem is windows search. That was my main problem on one of my machines. Nasty thing. And it is hard to uninstall, but can be disabled and its index minimised.