topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 1:02 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: POSTING 101  (Read 24856 times)

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: POSTING 101
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2013, 04:32 AM »
Probably when mouser is on or nearing 12 nn or 12 midnight. (As it commonly is across the web).

I have one weird experience recently where it send me that message but a single click refresh and the forum was instantly back on.

If you were being sarcastic, I apologize for missing it.

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2013, 08:52 AM »
Probably when mouser is on or nearing 12 nn or 12 midnight. (As it commonly is across the web).

I have one weird experience recently where it send me that message but a single click refresh and the forum was instantly back on.

If you were being sarcastic, I apologize for missing it.

The first sentence is genuine or real.  The second was a joke or sarcasm.

Sorry for the confusion.   :(   Bad habits are hard to break.

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2013, 09:57 AM »
Wherever the anchor is will be where your picture gets displayed in your post. You can't see the picture until you actually post it to the forum because it also needs to be uploaded before the forum software can display it..

Does this apply to My Personal Area as well?  Should I be able to see my attachment when I click post?

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2013, 09:58 AM »
WOW... What happened?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 09:14 AM by crabby3 »

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2013, 10:01 AM »
This is what I wanted to display but not yet.  And not here.  I thought I was in My Personal Area?!?   :huh:
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 10:19 AM by crabby3 »

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2013, 03:14 PM »
Perhaps I should work on a how-to "dummies guide" style tutorial for posting to the DC forum, complete with screenshots?

I am not being sarcastic. It's actually one of those things I am quite good at. I can simplify basic algebra to the level the average 5 year old can understand.  :D

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2013, 03:24 PM »
Perhaps I should work on a how-to "dummies guide" style tutorial for posting to the DC forum, complete with screenshots?

I am not being sarcastic. It's actually one of those things I am quite good at. I can simplify basic algebra to the level the average 5 year old can understand.  :D

Any relyable help or guide would be useful, app103, if it's pinned and locked.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2013, 03:27 PM »
good idea app - a lot of people have trouble with attaching images.
I never actually knew about the picture button 40 mentions. I always used the 'Link inline image'
(which I find very obscure use of language: I dont even know what 'inline' means here; and I'm not linking, I'm uploading :tellme:)

I had started this before your post app, so I'll post it:

Wherever the anchor is will be where your picture gets displayed in your post. You can't see the picture until you actually post it to the forum because it also needs to be uploaded before the forum software can display it..

Does this apply to My Personal Area as well?  Should I be able to see my attachment when I click post?

Unfortunately you cant see it when you preview the post - but when you post it, you should be able to see it.
if you add this text below it will show within the post (where the text is).

[attachimg=#]

this for a thumbnail version:

[attachthumb=#]

these are not available via 'quick reply' at the bottom of the page:
if you do use that, click preview, and on the next page, click on the field with 'Link inline image' in it (to get the text shown above)

Screenshot - 2013-01-26 , 21_23_33.png

and a thumbnail (click to enlarge)

Screenshot - 2013-01-26 , 21_19_52.pngPOSTING 101
Tom

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2013, 04:07 PM »
good idea app - a lot of people have trouble with attaching images.
I never actually knew about the picture button 40 mentions. I always used the 'Link inline image'
(which I find very obscure use of language: I dont even know what 'inline' means here; and I'm not linking, I'm uploading :tellme:)

I think that's intentional on mouser's side.

The forum is not really image host friendly as it might not scale well or the image might disappear. Also mass loading slows down too I think.

The image button is just there because it's a traditional toolbar template for most post editor so it's like killing two bird with one stone.

Those who know what they know still have what they want.
Those new to forums can apply the "recommended" way of doing the same function.

Inline means "inside" "line". It's the less powerful cousin of the word "embed" and the opposite of outline. It just means inside a bunch of letters, there's something inside like outline means outside a bunch of letters there are headers, sub-headers, chapters, etc. On occasions it can even be simply a synonym for inside depending on the knowledge of the reader on that particular function.

Embed would mean you can see the object once you inserted it as an attachment. Inline is like the red underline when you misspell a word. There's a "hint" to a greater feature (like [nobbc]) but no one really knows what it really all means unless you know what it should mean but at least it's inside of the text so it does not actually load anything and slow things down when editing.

Embedding an image would instantly show the image not only in the post editor but in the preview. See blog editors.

It's actually the word Link that makes things wrong IMO.

Not so confusing as to be unusable but whoever wrote it did not consider that the user sees the word attach and it should be Set Inline Attachments or Set Attached Image InPost.

Not really clearer but truer to the meaning and not requiring the reader to split the dual meaning of web link versus any other link.

I will say though, how can you not understand inline but know [nobbc]?! That's like the mother of confusing and elusive and redundant bbc code.  :P

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2013, 04:19 PM »

I touch on how to make draft posts, in a new tutorial video. 

I will post it in a few moment...I have uploaded it to youtube 3 times now and it keeps only giving 480p as an option...which at 1920x1080 resolution...It is IMPOSSIBLE to see what's going on.  So...I am rendering again now, hopefully it will work this time. - Should be done in about 20 minutes or so. (Upload will only take 5).

April, please continue to make the in-depth one, don't wanna step on your toes, I was just bored xD

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2013, 04:38 PM »
Urgh, it went to 720p...Dunno why it won't go full 1080 - Might be because I recorded at a 1920x1040 resolution instead os 1080...MIGHT be that, which messed it up...oh well...for those with big motniros...it CAN be understood...but its a bit fuzzy...for those on 1280x1024...it's fine

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2013, 08:27 AM »

@app103
I guess it shouldn't be locked until after it's been tried or tested by us dummies.  How else could you get feedback... right?   :huh:

I know, firsthand, how hard it is to outline all the steps... to do something... especially if I have done 'it' a million times.  Sometimes I leave out a step or have them in the wrong order or skip a key-word or some/all of these.   :-[   ... which makes the learning-process, for the person, even harder.  (In my case... more daunting.   :( )

And... once your guide has been perfected... maybe you could add it to the other pinned stuff in all the areas at DC; where people might need this How-To?   :)  ...just a suggestion

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2013, 09:16 AM »
I am not even sure I would do it as a single forum post.

Perhaps it would work better as a locked thread, with the first post serving as a table of contents and each how-to as a separate post within the thread.

If I did it that way, it would have to be locked, to prevent misc. non-tutorial posts from cluttering the thread.

Another alternative would be a single stand alone page, linked to in the first post of a thread, and the thread remaining open for comments, suggestions, and questions.

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2013, 09:37 AM »

Perhaps it would work better as a locked thread, with the first post serving as a table of contents and each how-to as a separate post within the thread.

If I did it that way, it would have to be locked, to prevent misc. non-tutorial posts from cluttering the thread.

Another alternative would be a single stand alone page, linked to in the first post of a thread, and the thread remaining open for comments, suggestions, and questions.

You know how to do this way better than me, app103, I'm still trying to comprehend what you just said.   ;D   My whole post was more of a suggestion... than a comment... to give you something to chew-on; before you started your Guide.

I'm pretty sure... whatever you provide... or however you handle it will be Okay.   :)

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2013, 10:09 AM »

Suggestion: auto-pm for new users with an archived copy in the personal area of someone's account.

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2013, 04:53 AM »
Suggestion: auto-pm for new users with an archived copy in the personal area of someone's account.

Let me write it, first. Then mouser can decide if he wants to do something along those lines. (although I think a link to it in the "welcome to the forum" email would probably suffice)

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2013, 07:54 AM »
Is there a way to combine my PMs so the Inbox and Outbox are in chronological order... on the same page?   :tellme:  And then a way to undo it?

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2013, 08:18 AM »
Not from within the interface although I always did wonder what software will read the xml in the export all pms option. That could sort it out but importing it in something commonly installed like LibreCalc seems to have only imported the name.

You could theoretically use labels named as dates to jump back and forth between the outbox and singular pms but nothing that would be one seamless button.

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2014, 07:58 AM »
I can't seem to view any spoilers here.  Is it a DC Personal Preference or my machine?   :tellme:

my info:  Windows Vista   Home Premium-SP2   Intel Core 2 Duo CPU    T6400 @ 2.00GHz    4GB RAM    64-bit        Windows Internet Explorer 9

I presume it is something i have turned off somewhere because they used to work.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 08:02 AM by crabby3 »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2014, 08:16 AM »
I don't have any problem with the Spoiler, but, the YouTube button in Edit mode is invisible to me, and sometimes YouTube links are also sometimes invisible, with just a blank space on screen where they and the still image are. Not sure, but I suspect it is NoScript doing this.
Because flash is mostly blocked, I can't play YouTube flash files (or not properly, at any rate) even when I can see the link.
I am using HTML 5 now, and that seems to avoid the latter problem.

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2014, 09:53 AM »
I don't have any problem with the Spoiler, but, the YouTube button in Edit mode is invisible to me, and sometimes YouTube links are also sometimes invisible, with just a blank space on screen where they and the still image are. Not sure, but I suspect it is NoScript doing this.
Because flash is mostly blocked, I can't play YouTube flash files (or not properly, at any rate) even when I can see the link.
I am using HTML 5 now, and that seems to avoid the latter problem.

Have you tried deleting the YouTube file (s.ytimg.com) in Flash Player?  Then close your browser(s), reopen and click on a YouTube.

This fixed a different issue i had with YouTube.

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2014, 08:10 AM »
I can't seem to view any spoilers here.  Is it a DC Personal Preference or my machine?   :tellme:

my info:  Windows Vista   Home Premium-SP2   Intel Core 2 Duo CPU    T6400 @ 2.00GHz    4GB RAM    64-bit        Windows Internet Explorer 9

I presume it is something i have turned off somewhere because they used to work.

... so no one has any  :two: ?

or maybe it's just...
givingadam.png

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2014, 12:09 PM »
I can't seem to view any spoilers here.  Is it a DC Personal Preference or my machine?   :tellme:

my info:  Windows Vista   Home Premium-SP2   Intel Core 2 Duo CPU    T6400 @ 2.00GHz    4GB RAM    64-bit        Windows Internet Explorer 9

... so no one has any  :two: ?

Not ignoring you. :)  But (in my case) I'm so out of touch with Vista and its security model (it has been awhile) that I doubt I could offer much in the way of useful advice for a machine still running it. There's bound to be another holdout here that can suggest something.

You might try reposting your query in the Living Room or General Software section. Posting 101 is a bit of a backwater at DoCo. It doesn't get a lot of technical questions.

8)

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2014, 10:00 AM »
I can't seem to view any spoilers here.  Is it a DC Personal Preference or my machine?   :tellme:

my info:  Windows Vista   Home Premium-SP2   Intel Core 2 Duo CPU    T6400 @ 2.00GHz    4GB RAM    64-bit        Windows Internet Explorer 9

... so no one has any  :two: ?

Not ignoring you. :)  But (in my case) I'm so out of touch with Vista and its security model (it has been awhile) that I doubt I could offer much in the way of useful advice for a machine still running it. There's bound to be another holdout here that can suggest something.

You might try reposting your query in the Living Room or General Software section. Posting 101 is a bit of a backwater at DoCo. It doesn't get a lot of technical questions.

8)

Thank you, 40hz, for your input.  I'll repost in Living Room.   :)