topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:09 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: best font for html email?  (Read 9228 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
best font for html email?
« on: December 22, 2011, 03:45 PM »
Hi everyone.  I've struggled with the Bat's antiquated text editor in email for years now.  I'm done with it.  I'm moving on to HTML mode.  As much as I'd like to keep email to text only, I feel that time has passed and anyone who can't process html email is a little out of it by now.

So, what's the best font to choose for html email?  I like Calibri, but I know that's not available everywhere.  My question is does it even matter?  Or is there a font that would be more of the "right" choice?  What about font size?  I have two large monitors and mine is set to 14pt, which is fairly large for most people.  So can we discuss this a little?  Thanks.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: best font for html email?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 04:00 PM »
Plain text Email annoys the hell out of me...Try to bold a key point and it fails?!? Jesus (at least) get with the 20th century for Christ sake.

I also like (and use) the Calibri font, but (sadly) Times is more reliable as far as everyone having it.

Size is a tricky one, I'm not sure if outlook uses pt or px, but Calibri 12 is what I usually use ... and I haven't had any complaints.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 05:08 PM »
I usually go with a screen optimized font like Ariel in 12 or 14pt.

I'll do Times or Georgia if I want/need to use a serif face. I also really like Consolas and Calibri, but not everybody has them installed.  

Note: I deal with a lot of 50+ people who appreciate a larger font size when reading off today's larger screens. Or at least so they tell me.  :)

I actually prefer pure text for my own inbound email. But all my friends tell me I'm slowly turning into a dinosaur so consensus is probably with Stoic on it being annoying. FWIW I always send HTML (or both) these days. Most people don't seem to like receiving email that looks like an 1890-vintage telegram.
 ;D
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 05:21 PM by 40hz »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 05:19 PM »
Most people don't seem to like receiving email that looks like an 1890-vintage telegram.

:Thmbsup: Nailed it! :Thmbsup:

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 05:28 PM »
^ Hey, at least I never sent any text mail in ALL CAPS LIKE ONE OF MY CLIENTS STILL DOES!

(He's old, owns the company, and is a valuable customer. So do I ever complain about it? Heck no!)

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 07:55 PM »
I actually prefer pure text for my own inbound email. But all my friends tell me I'm slowly turning into a dinosaur . . .
I too prefer pure text for my own inbound email.  Hmmm...guess I'm going to have to change my userid from cyberdiva to cyberdino.  ;D

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 08:12 PM »
I actually prefer pure text for my own inbound email. But all my friends tell me I'm slowly turning into a dinosaur . . .
I too prefer pure text for my own inbound email.  Hmmm...guess I'm going to have to change my userid from cyberdiva to cyberdino.  ;D
;D

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 10:20 PM »
+1 for Consolas, Calibri, and Arial.

I'd add Verdana and Tahoma as nice, simple fonts that are very readable onscreen.

I would avoid Times and other serif fonts as they are harder to read onscreen. Serifs do better in print.

I have mine set to Calibri 11pt.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 10:33 PM »

Bingo! Same here.

I would avoid Times and other serif fonts as they are harder to read onscreen. Serifs do better in print.

Generally speaking, that is true, although when used sparingly, Georgia makes a great font for headings.

I'd add Verdana and Tahoma as nice, simple fonts that are very readable onscreen.

Verdana is a good "fluffing" font for when you want the text to take up more space. It is pretty close to Ariel, but wider. A favorite of high school students when writing reports. I wouldn't use it for a long email or if you tend to be verbose, since the width will make the email seem even longer than it is.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 10:43 PM »

Bingo! Same here.

Generally speaking, that is true, although when used sparingly, Georgia makes a great font for headings.

Verdana is a good "fluffing" font for when you want the text to take up more space. It is pretty close to Ariel, but wider. A favorite of high school students when writing reports. I wouldn't use it for a long email or if you tend to be verbose, since the width will make the email seem even longer than it is.

Yes - I like Georgia. I find it slightly more elegant than Times. It's also slightly larger at the same point size, which I suppose is a part of the appeal.

As for Verdana, yeah... It's quite wide. I've never had to deal with those kinds of issues though -- fluffing reports.

I can't stand Chinese or Japanese fonts for the Roman alphabet. They're simply painful to look at. Many Korean fonts are similarly painful, though in general they are readable with some even being pleasant onscreen. I've really never noticed anything odd in other non-English fonts.

I think the safest font around is Arial Unicode MS. It's simply easy to read and complete. Few machines don't have it, which makes it very safe to use.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker