topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:54 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: backup program files and all dependencies (DLLs, registry), path to CD  (Read 7813 times)

bparent

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
A program that will copy an application with all its files in its installed directory retaining path information and then all dependent files( for example, dll's in ../system32 folder and elsewhere) and registry entries to a cd/dvd. This is a sort of a backup program, but program could also be made to copy files back from cd/dvd to a different path/location for restoration or moving to a different computer.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2006, 02:33 AM by brotherS »

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Would be nice. The trouble with the idea is that dependencies get updated regularly as you install new apps or updates. If you backup an app on one machine and then restore it to another you might overwrite other dependencies and break other apps, also you may break links and associations in the registry.

bparent

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Regarding the dependencies, i.e. dll's, couldn't the program prompt for permission to overwrite if older file like the installer programs do? The links and associations in the registry might be a problem. Maybe less so if the program is put back in the same path.

The biggest problem may be having to register COM components.

All in all, still think it would be nice and beneficial even if manual tweaking would be needed by the user.

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I also doubt that that's all possible... I just keep a copy of every installer file I downloaded and installed - easy to burn to CD/DVD and right at my fingertips if I need to install it again.

Cpilot

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Bite Notes
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I also doubt that that's all possible
I would think it could be a possibility, but way beyond the scope of a "coding snack".
It would basically be an uninstaller, file transfer, reinstaller with version and date checking.
Not exactly a weekend sort of thing. :wallbash:

AbteriX

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I am analyse the "unins000.dat" with PSPad
and have then a list what files and dependencies are copied on my pc.
Then i collect them all and copy them to the install folder of the app (maybe in an sub folder).

Most apps identify the dll's in it install folder, so they don't must be register.
If not, registring is easy to do.

Hint:
Register from Context menu
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\dllfile\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\dllfile\shell\Register this DLL]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\dllfile\shell\Register this DLL\command]
@="\"regsvr32.exe\" \"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\dllfile\shell\Unregister this DLL]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\dllfile\shell\Unregister this DLL\command]
@="\"regsvr32.exe\" /u \"%1\""

The registy key could be exported, even with an batch file (regedit.exe /e  [filename] [regpath]).

So you have all you need to take your installation with you.

Hints:
  • install without admin rights and you will see if there any dependencies ('cus you will get error messages during copy to system folders)
  • copy the install folder to an other pc... and the app will tell you on start what it's missing

--
It's not an program, but maybe it helps