topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:21 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Mobile Freeware For Pets  (Read 2811 times)

soulfulwriter

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Mobile Freeware For Pets
« on: November 08, 2011, 03:59 PM »
I am trying to develop a mobile application for smartphones that would be like Amber Alert but for pets. The application has two main purposes: announce lost pets and alert about pets on death row at city and rural shelters. The latter is to "recruit" foster or adoptive homes for pets that would otherwise be exterminated in 24 hours. The application would have a picture of the lost or "condemned" pet with info and links on the right or below for users to take immediate action. Over 4 million healthy and adoptable dogs and cats are exterminated each year in the US alone as a solution for overcrowding. Many of those pets are lost pets whose owners have not had the chance to claim or been notified. This application takes advantage of modern smartphone technology to prevent the unnecessary extermination of domesticated animals at municipal shelters.

I need help developing this application in the various smartphone formats (Droid series, Blackberry, iPhone series). I was wondering if some of you, fellow coders, would be willing to work with me on this project. The application would be freely distributed through regular mobile applications repositories and pet-related websites. If you are familiar with developing mobile applications in any of the above-mentioned formats and can contribute your expertise to this project, please contact me ASAP.

Thank you.  :P

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: Mobile Freeware For Pets
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 04:54 PM »
It sounds to me like a major project that requires a feed, daily maintenance, and a massive distribution network to get pounds on board to use it. So it sounds like you need to get the SPCA to back it and provide some weight for it.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 04:58 PM »
Never did any mobile phone apps, but I do donate time to webmaster for the local Humane Society's No Kill shelter (e.g. you have my full attention ;)).

Are you looking to tie into one of the existing pet adoption systems (like PetFinders.com) to leverage an existing backend database. I mention because they have an existing API/SDK for tieing into their db, and the local HS uses them.

I have a Windows phone, and my wife has a Droid ... Both can be made available for beta testing.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 06:30 PM »
Are you looking to tie into one of the existing pet adoption systems (like PetFinders.com) to leverage an existing backend database. I mention because they have an existing API/SDK for tieing into their db, and the local HS uses them.

That solves 99% of the problem right there! :)

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker