topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:42 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Looking for video player with two special features  (Read 7158 times)

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Looking for video player with two special features
« on: October 22, 2011, 11:30 AM »
Okay, subtitling a movie is easily one of the most annoying chores I've ever taken on voluntarily :)

I have an SRT file with English subtitles, and my own translation without the timecodes. What I'm need to do is basically copy and paste lines from the translation to the SRT file, but that involves a lot of timecode tweaking. (Don't even get me started on apps like Subtitle Workshop or Subtitle Edit!)

So, I'm looking for a video player with the following features:

1) Ability to reload subtitles while playing back the movie. There should be a way to assign a keyboard shortcut to this function. (At the moment after every major change I have to exit and restart the player to check my changes.) KMPlayer has this, but it freezes/crashes on me all the time.

2) Ability to assign a hotkey (like the multimedia keys) to play/pause, so that I don't have to switch to the player every time I want to play back the next 5 seconds of the movie. KMPlayer can do this but has an awful misfeature where pressing Play activates the player, so that you have to alt+tab out of it to get back to the editor.

3) Ability to restart playback from last position when closed. Seems obvious, byt MP Classic can't.

4) Nice to have: ability to overlay the playback timer on the video area. Most players show the timer off-screen, using some tiny little font, and I'm finding it hard to read when working with minutes:seconds for hours on end. Again, KMPlayer can do this, but at the moment it won't even rewind the video without freezing.

KMPlayer is totally broken, even though it supports all of the above. VLC doesn't do (1), which disqualifies it. Zoom player likewise. Media Player Classis Homecinema doesn't even pick my srt file until I load it manually, doesn't seem to do (3) and crashes too.  I love software! :)

Is there anything else I could try?

« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 11:41 AM by tranglos »

kilele

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Looking for video player with two special features
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 05:47 PM »
I've read that vlc can reload subtitles if you drag the srt and drop it over the application.
You could try some software to automate this drag&drop.

Update: I've just synchronized a subtitle and noticed that submagic might be of your interest. It has a player and srt editor that interact very well.
You can find it at www.submagic.tk/
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 10:10 PM by kilele »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 05:03 PM »
tranglos, also try Light Alloy:
http://www.light-alloy.ru/en/home/

It has some interesting and unique subtitle features.  I don't know if they fulfill your exact requirements, but it's probably worth a look.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 05:09 PM »
Tranglos, I just checked all your requirements.  Light Alloy does all 4 things.  It even has a thing called "Easy Subtitle Browser" which is a really nice and fast GUI for reloading subtitles.  Hope that helps!

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 06:15 PM »
MPC-HC can:
1) Reload subtitles,
2) Assign a hotkey to play/pause, (SPACE is the default),
3) Resume play from last position after closing, and
4) Display current/total video time onscreen.

And on my computer:
a) It doesn't crash, and
b) Loads subtitles automatically.

As for timer onscreen, I always have the Status and Seek bar enabled.

Currently using version 1.5.3.3725 x64, even later builds are available here.

Reload subtitles:
2011-10-24_10-02-11.jpg

Reload subtitles hotkey, (not set by default):
2011-10-24_10-07-36.jpg

Play/Pause hotkey, (SPACE by default):
2011-10-24_10-06-50.jpg

Resume playback:
2011-10-24_10-06-30.jpg

Load subtitles, (also has to be enabled - see pic 1), and of course the subtitle filename has to be the same as the video filename, (except for extension naturally):
2011-10-24_10-09-14.jpg

Addendum: It can display current/total video playtime, (Cntrol+I by deafult), on a black background in the top-left corner:
2011-10-24_12-49-42.jpg

Big enough I think:
2011-10-24_12-55-37.jpgLooking for video player with two special features

As for subtitles, I use a mix of SubRip (for conversion to SRT), Subtitle Edit (for joining subtitle files - purely for renumbering) and VisualSubSync (if I need to resync to onscreen action).
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 08:57 PM by 4wd »

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 01:41 PM »
Tranglos, I just checked all your requirements.  Light Alloy does all 4 things.  It even has a thing called "Easy Subtitle Browser" which is a really nice and fast GUI for reloading subtitles.  Hope that helps!

Looks good, thanks a lot! I'm downloading it now. Real life preempted my further work on subtitling the movie, but I need to get back to it real soon now. Been sticking with KMPlayer so far, but I'd welcome an improvement.

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 04:38 PM »
Light Alloy:

OMG, Light Alloy is awesome! (For my specific purpose, at least.) I don't even need to reload the subtitles - it automatically reloads them as soon as I save the file in the editor. Lifesaver! Thanks! More exclamation points!! :)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 02:57 AM »
Light Alloy:

OMG, Light Alloy is awesome! (For my specific purpose, at least.) I don't even need to reload the subtitles - it automatically reloads them as soon as I save the file in the editor. Lifesaver! Thanks! More exclamation points!! :)

You're welcome!  It's a well kept little secret, isn't it?