topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:40 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: PING archive not able to delete 10 GB  (Read 5429 times)

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
PING archive not able to delete 10 GB
« on: September 26, 2011, 07:23 AM »

Hello folks,
            yesterday i tried to make an image of C: by using PING (Partimage Is Not Ghost) 3.0: When it asked for the archive backup name, i gave it as Another_XP_Image_after_the_trash.
                   The mistake i made was naming the folder archive ending with a dot .:
    So i tried making another image by the same name, PING gave the option of overwriting which i choose it.  After the process was complete the folder had consumed 10 GB filled with archive.
http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/2182/clipboard02in.jpg

I can't get it to delete or rename it, deleteing would show an error like " cannot read from the source file or disk": Enter the folder would show this error:
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/4600/clipboard01aue.jpg

Is their any one who can suggest how to remove or delete this folder. Any solution for this would: i would remain greatful.
    http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/4020/clipboard03aa.jpg

ClipDiary 5.3/ Smadav 2018/ Some Sense

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: PING archive not able to delete 10 GB
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 09:43 AM »
Grab a copy of a Linux "live" CD.

Boot from the CD and you should be able to delete the file from within Linux using its file manager.  

I'd suggest using the PCman FM file utility on the PartedMagic Linux utility distro.
 :)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 09:52 AM by 40hz »

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 10:09 AM »
Sometimes this can also be achieved by opening a CMD prompt, and selecting the file/directory using the <tab> AutoComplete feature of the shell (using the 'del' or 'rd'/'rmdir' commands).

Using a Linux "live" CD has the advantage that there is surely no file-in-use issue. It requires such iso image to be downloaded and baked onto a CD though :huh:

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 11:51 AM »
did you try the easy solution; to use Unlocker or IOBit Unlocker ?

http://www.filehippo...m/download_unlocker/
http://www.iobit.com/iobit-unlocker.html  :up:

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 12:08 PM »
^In this particular case, I think it's more a problem of an illegal character (the ending period) somehow being written in the filename rather than the file itself being locked. You'll see this happen sometimes if you use an external drive to backup Macintosh files. Apple allows several characters that aren't allowed in Windows. Some of which result in certain files being unreachable and therefor non-deletable by Windows.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 12:16 PM »
^In this particular case, I think it's more  problem of an illegal character (the ending period)  being written in the filename rather than the file itself being locked. You'll see this happen sometimes if you use an external drive to backup Macintosh files. Apple allows several characters that aren't allowed in Windows. Some of which result in certain files being unreachable and therefor non-deletable by Windows.

Since PING is Linux based, it doesn't have a problem with you using an ending period in a file name...but Windows does.

IIRC, the period is used as a pointer to the topmost directory in a file path, and a double period is used to point to one directory level up from the current directory. Or something like that. (It's been awhile since I've paid attention to that sort of thing in Windows.) If you run the DIR command you'll see the two top directories in the file list are always .<DIR> and ..<DIR>

The double-dot  can be used as a shorthand way of saying "one level up" for the cd command. If you're in a directory like C:\level1\level2\level3 and you enter cd.. you'll find yourself up one level in C:\level1\level2! (Yay! That's a lot less typing than having to enter: cd level1\level2
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 12:48 PM by 40hz »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 12:42 PM »

^ second double post seen in the last while,
is it something in the air... :P
Tom

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 12:48 PM »

Yeah. Noticed that too. Did an edit/save, then another edit/save and it happened. S'up with that?  :o

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 12:59 PM »

Yeah. Noticed that too. Did an edit/save, then another edit/save and it happened. S'up with that?  :o

must be something broken on the forum?
Tom

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 07:06 AM »
Grab a copy of a Linux "live" CD.

Boot from the CD and you should be able to delete the file from within Linux using its file manager.  

I'd suggest using the PCman FM file utility on the PartedMagic Linux utility distro.
Thank you 40hz, that was a brilliant solution you provided, you see i already had Ubuntu 11.4 in the pendrive Drive  made by YUMI: (detail about YUMI).

I choose Ubuntu 11.4 and from the Explorer i could see the folder and it opened it successfully, i agree it too it must have been placing of the illegal character: in Windows it would ususually erase the dot[.] if i made a folder. But here PING 3.0 made it and windows was having a hard time, i tried Barter PE and DOS to try to remove the Folder but there too it showed the same problem.
   But it was removed from Ubuntu 11.4, thank you all for your invaluable suggestion, keep it real.......

P.S: GOD BLESS YOU ALL FOR YOUR EFFORTS........

ClipDiary 5.3/ Smadav 2018/ Some Sense