topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:15 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: DONE: Batch m3u8 creator - similar to createm3u  (Read 89251 times)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: DONE: Batch m3u8 creator - similar to createm3u
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2013, 04:01 PM »
Website | Download
v1.0.2 - 2013-07-28
    + Added option to add a "#EXTM3U" header line to playlist files.
      (Thanks, M. Quinn)

vital

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2014, 01:35 AM »
anyway to add an option to force overwrite the m3u/m3u8 file? Sometimes a file could be added to a folder and would like to have m3u/m3u8 updated to add the file to the playlist..

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2014, 11:57 PM »
anyway to add an option to force overwrite the m3u/m3u8 file? Sometimes a file could be added to a folder and would like to have m3u/m3u8 updated to add the file to the playlist..

Sure, let me find some time to add this.   :)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2014, 08:56 PM »
Website | Download
v1.0.3 - 2014-03-14
    + Added option to overwrite existing playlists.  (Thanks, vital)
    + Added "Always on top" option.

vital

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2014, 03:27 AM »
Thanks for the update!

Another request..
How about an option to create only one m3u/m3u8 file at the root folder that's dragged in and include all mp3's from all sub folders as well?  I have different genre folders like Rock, Pop, Trance, etc and each genre can have multiple albums so it would be nice to drag the \Rock folder in and it would create a Rock.m3u file w/ all songs from all sub-folders in the \Rock folder.

Xennon

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2014, 07:17 PM »
Suggestion/requests:

(1)  Add a config/ini file option that allows the user to define their own default file name for the created playlist.  I usually always name my playlists with the same name rather than using the folder name but at some point I may also want to do that so having a config/ini file would help set these and possibly other "default" options.

(2) Incorporate the option to create play lists for video as well as audio files.  I have several video tutorial collections in various video formats (flv, mp4, avi, mpg and others) that I would like to link together via a play list.

I look forward to these additions which would make this great little app just that much better for me and hopefully others as well.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2014, 09:35 PM »
Hi, Xennon, and welcome to the DonationCoder site.

I look forward to these additions which would make this great little app just that much better for me and hopefully others as well.

Here you go.  Please test it out and let me know if that's what you had in mind.  Thank you.

Website | Download
v1.0.4 - 2014-05-02
    + Added option to specify playlist filename.  (Thanks, Xennon)
    + Added ability to create video playlists.  (Thanks, Xennon)
    * Removed the ZIP/RAR checkbox and incorporated the option into
      the new "Files to include" dropdown list.

Xennon

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2014, 12:35 AM »
 :Thmbsup: BRILLIANT!!! ... Works absolutely perfectly.  :Thmbsup:

As I mentioned in my previous post, these additions/changes make this app just perfect for me.

As a matter of interest, is there a list of audio/video formats supported?  Perhaps listing these in the help file might resolve any potential future issues where a user tries to add non-supported formats and can't work out why the process failed.  Just a suggestion.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2014, 07:56 PM »
Audio extensions: AIFF, AIF, AIFC, MP1, MP2, MP3, OGA, OGG, WAV, MO3, XM, MOD, S3M, IT, MTM, FLAC, WMA, WMP, WMV, MID, MIDI, RMI, KAR, WV, WVC, AAC, M4A, M4B, M4P, APE, AC3, SPX, TTA, OFR, MPC, ALAC, SHN, TAK, OPUS

Video extensions: 3G2, 3GP, 3GP2, 3GPP, AMR, ASF, AVI, BIK, D2V, DAT, DIVX, DRC, DSA, DSM, DSS, DSV, FLC, FLI, FLIC, FLV, IFO, IVF, M1V, M2V, M4B, M4P, M4V, MKV, MP2V, MP4, MPE, MPEG, MPG, MPV2, MOV, OGM, PSS, PVA, QT, RAM, RATDVD, RM, RMM, RMVB, ROQ, RPM, SMK, SWF, TP, TPR, TS, VOB, VP6, WEBM, WM, WMP, WMV

vital

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2014, 10:23 PM »
How about the following playlist options:

1) recursive scan all sub-folders and create a playlist in each folder
2) recursive scan all sub-folders and create 1 playlist on root folder dragged in including all files scanned

Xennon

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2014, 02:57 AM »

2) recursive scan all sub-folders and create 1 playlist on root folder dragged in including all files scanned

I think option (1) already works .. drag the root folder onto the app and a playlist is created in each subfolder (if they contain media files).  I discovered this by accident.

Option (2) Would be handy and being able to combine multiple playlists into a single playlist would be nice too.

I noticed that moving the playlist from its original folder to another folder breaks the connection with the media files ... is that a design fault with the .m3u file format or is there some way to have the playlist record the actual path to the media so that moving the playlist does not break it?  Maybe there's a different playlist format that does note the media's path?

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2014, 01:53 PM »

The first option is what the application already does.  I'll consider the second option.

I noticed that moving the playlist from its original folder to another folder breaks the connection with the media files ... is that a design fault with the .m3u file format or is there some way to have the playlist record the actual path to the media so that moving the playlist does not break it?  Maybe there's a different playlist format that does note the media's path?

It's not a design fault.  It's simply a generic filepath issue.  Basically, there are three ways to handle a file's path:

1) No path at all, just the filename.  Most applications then prepend the playlist's path to derive the actual location of the file.  Using this method allows you to move the folder of files anywhere and the playlist will still work.  However, as you've found, moving the playlist file breaks the pathing.

2) Relative paths.  That is, only the path relative to the playlist's location is saved.  Let's assume you have the following file:

c:\path\to\my\music\song.mp3

If you wanted to save the playlist file in:

c:\path\to

The relative path that would be saved in the playlist file would be:

my\music\song.mp3

As with the first option, an application will generally prepend the playlist's path to the exisiting relative path in order to derive the file locations.  This method allows you to move multi-level folders and have the playlist(s) still work.

3) Full paths.  That is, something like c:\path\to\my\music\song.mp3 would be saved to the playlist file.  This allows you to move the playlist files to wherever you'd like.  However, you now cannot move the files themselves without breaking the playlist.  For instance, let's assume you had need to move your collection from c:\ drive to d:\ drive.  With full paths, all your playlist files are now broken.

I hope that helps to explain things.  As you can see, there is no perfect solution.   :(

Xennon

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2014, 07:20 PM »

I hope that helps to explain things.  As you can see, there is no perfect solution.   :(

Yes, this does clear things up.  In that case, perhaps one solution might be to have an option to choose how to handle multiple sub-folders when creating a playlist.
eg: At the moment, dragging multiple folders onto the app creates 1 playlist in each folder - what if the user had the option to continue in this way (default) or to create 1 playlist in the root folder for all media contained in the sub-folders?  A checkbox/radio button toggle in the UI might work.

This option would allow for those situations where you may have your files organised per artist, with different album folders under that artist and you want to listen to that artist's full collection.

Just a thought.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2014, 12:01 PM »
Website | Download
v1.0.5 - 2014-06-21
    * Playlist contents are sorted now.  (Thanks, Stephane)

msteph

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2014, 11:58 PM »
I'd like to endorse vital's request for the option to create 1 playlist in the root folder for all the songs in the sub-folders.  This would seem to be the logical next improvement of an already terrific app.

For example, I have my New Age music collection, approximately 1000 songs, in subfolders according to the artist name, 116 artists.  If I drop the New Age folder onto the app it's going to create 116 m3u's in their respective folders, which is great - very useful. 

But I'd also like to, as would vital & Xennon, be able to create one playlist in the root folder that has all 1000 songs.  I do have a current m3u that has all those songs but I had to create it by copying each artist's songs into one big all-inclusive folder and then making the playlist.  Having sPlaylistMaker do that would have been an elegant solution and saved a lot of time.

:)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2014, 01:29 AM »
@vital, @Xennon, and @msteph: Here's a test build with the following requested options:

• Option that creates one playlist per root folder.
  • Path options when creating playlist: No path, relative path, and full path.

http://skwire.dcmemb.../sPlaylistMaker_.zip

The help file has been updated as well so please take a moment to read through the new options.  Let me know how the testing goes.  Thanks.

Screenshot 2014-06-26 00.30.30.pngDONE: Batch m3u8 creator - similar to createm3u

Xennon

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2014, 02:47 AM »
This is great! - I'm totally happy with these most recent changes.  I have only tested those features I was looking for so far, and can say that everything seems to work perfectly.  Thank you skwire.

msteph

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2014, 07:11 PM »
I agree with Xennon, this update is great, skwire.  The root folder option and the path options worked perfectly with my new age songs.  I also made a playlist of my collection of pop and rock songs, which I'd never done before, for whatever reason.

The new help file is nicely done, very complete and more informative than the previous one.

:Thmbsup: 

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2014, 03:15 AM »
Thanks, Xennon and msteph, for testing this.  Based on that, I'm going to release it.

Website | Download
v1.0.6 - 2014-06-27
    + Added option that creates one playlist per root folder.  (Thanks, vital)
    + Added path options when creating playlist (no path, relative path,
      and full path).  (Thanks, Xennon)
    * Unicode write mode in Automatic mode is now without a BOM.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2015, 09:47 PM »
Website | Download
v1.0.8 - 2015-01-20
    + Option to automatically exit the program after creating playlists.
      (Thanks, Lukasz)

v1.0.7 - 2014-06-27
    + Customizable support for the audio, video, and archive extension list.
      Check the help file for details.  Basically, just modify the appropriate
      entries in the config.ini file.  (Thanks, Wayne)

dcsev

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2015, 08:27 AM »
skwire,
Thanks for keeping this app updated. It has been invaluable in getting my music collection in order!

wanted to submit a possible bug report about the latest version (v1.08)

The latest feature that was added -- quit after making m3u file -- does not work if a folder is sent to sPlaylistmaker via the 'sendto' menu.  I do this often to save myself some time. The m3u is created but the app remains running.  If I do it the 'normal' way (meaning open the app and then drag the folder) it works.

Is this something you'd be able to fix?

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2015, 12:04 PM »
Thanks for keeping this app updated. It has been invaluable in getting my music collection in order!

Good to hear.  =]  I'm glad you still find it useful.

The latest feature that was added -- quit after making m3u file -- does not work if a folder is sent to sPlaylistmaker via the 'sendto' menu.

Hmmm...I just tested it via my SendTo menu (I hadn't before) and it seems to work as intended.  Please make sure you're using v1.0.9, though.  See below.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 12:16 PM by skwire »

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2015, 12:15 PM »
And I just realised that I didn't notify this thread of the 1.0.9 release.  Apologies.   :-[

Website | Download
v1.0.9 - 2015-01-23
    ! The auto-exit option is now obeyed even when invoked from the commandline.
      (Thanks, Ɓukasz)

dcsev

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2015, 02:47 PM »
Thanks skwire!! I can confirm it works now.  ;D

Xennon

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2015, 10:09 PM »
Another suggestion:

I'm not sure if this might be better served by a separate app entirely, but might be handy if it's incorporated into sPlaylistmaker as well.

Allow the user to rename the media files based on the contents of a text file and then create the playlist from the renamed media.

Often I get collections of files that are just numbered 01 to xx but I then find out what their *proper* names should be and find myself doing a lot of work to rename these files to their proper descriptive names.  I can usually get the correct names into a text file (1 per line) to match the media files so having some way to automatically merge the correct names onto the existing files would save a lot of renaming work.

I have a file renaming utility that can do this albeit in a clumsy way - maybe you could find a elegant and simple solution?

eg: If i have a collection of files named 01.mp4 to 20.mp4 and a corresponding text file with 20 lines which each line representing a 1:1 match to the file list, I want to rename these 00-20 files to the names in my text list (names only, not extensions).

I hope that makes sense.