topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:36 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Handy search tip for the DC forum, using Firefox  (Read 4566 times)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Handy search tip for the DC forum, using Firefox
« on: August 26, 2011, 08:23 PM »
I came across this post in one of my Google reader feeds: 5 awesome Mozilla Firefox secrets
I added this "secret" as a shortcut for searching the DC forum from Firefox. It works a treat!   :Thmbsup:
1. Customize search with Smart Keywords
A little-known Firefox feature lets you run searches within any given Web site from the browser's address bar. For example, to search for "TouchPad" within Amazon.com, all you'd have to do is type "amazon touchpad" in the Firefox bar.

To create a smart keyword, head to a Web site and locate the search field. Then, right-click the search field and select "Add Keyword for this search...". Create the bookmark, store it in a folder, and your smart keyword is now enabled. Try it with reference sites like Wikipedia and IMDB for quick access to answers.
I have now added it as a shortcut to searching all my favourite websites (where they have a search box on the web page) from the browser address bar. It's a real timesaver compared to the somewhat awkward approaches to searching that we may otherwise be obliged to use on various websites.

Hope DC forum users find it useful or of interest.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Handy search tip for the DC forum, using Firefox
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 01:23 PM »

very nice :Thmbsup:
Tom

hamradio

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 01:55 PM »
You can also use URL Alias as well.  You can setup multiple data entries with it by changing %s to %1 %2 and so on wherever you need it. :Thmbsup:

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 08:21 PM »
There are 2 additional ways to search, made by me.

1. DC search plugin for Firefox's search box: https://www.donation...m/Software/Other/ff/
2. Search from the taskbar with DC search Deskbar, which opens in default browser: https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=11600.0